Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c035db161961b9091f7fdcb6cab8a81fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Outer Tunic Sew-In Lining Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrak Farelle ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Outer Tunic Sew-In Lining Help Needed Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm very new to sewing so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've been searching the forums trying to find a tutorial on how to properly do a sewn in lining for a basic/generic Jedi outer tunic. I've watched a couple YouTube videos that show how to sew in a liner in suit coats or dresses, but has someone found a tutorial that is specific to a Jedi tunic?

Thanks for your help!
B-Man (Glen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t help you with doing it ‘properly’, but I’m slowly working on a Generic Jedi myself and have an outer tunic in progress that I’m lining with an old satin sheet. This is really my first attempt at sewing anything of this size and I have been hand sewing.

The way I’ve done it so far is to place the fabrics with the right side facing each other (shiny side of lining facing the good side of the OT) then sew around the edge leaving the bottom so that it can be turned ‘inside out’ revealing the good side of the OT and the shiny satin on the other side. I’ve then stitched all the pieces together as normal to make the tunic.

That’s how I’m doing it with my zero sewing skills and knowledge. Probably could be done by just placing the two fabrics together and sewing them up to create one piece without the need to turn inside out as I have done.

Hopefully someone with skills and knowledge can help with a better way of doing it.

Good luck.
Stellar Corona ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's multiple ways to do it, depending on how many exposed seams you want. If the answer is 0, then yout pretty much have to fully construct the lining, fully construct the tunic, put them together, and close up/ join the edges with something like a rolled hem. With a rolled hem, you'll want to add an extra inch and a quarter minimum so you can do at least two folds to seal the edges in and prevent fraying.

Sometimes I'm lazy and just are the main body pieces of the tunic and the lining, and then do put those together using the method above, and then fo the sleeves and attach them separately because people are never gonna see my armpit seams lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: