Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8bd06ca277d8d5a11afafd29d2aab5f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cloud City Leia Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Cloud City Leia Build Reply with quote

I've been eyeing this costume for the better part of 2019. I finally decided to tackle it so I can have it ready for Celebration. I looked over the threads posted and came up with a battle plan. Thank you to all the ladies who posted before me. Your information was very helpful.

My goal is to keep this under $300 and I think it is possible. Fingers crossed.

I purchased this fabric as I liked both the color and the price. I figured 10 yards would be more than enough for the pants, top and belt.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0462788/telio-misora-crepe-de-chine-rust

I then purchased 3 spools(?) of this trim.
http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Heavy-32-Braid-5m.html

For the pants, I plan on using Simplicity S9051. I will simply remove the slit at the bottom and add the cuff. I like that it has an elastic waistband. While I could use a zipper, I would rather not. Razz

For the tunic, I plan on using Simplicity S9046. I'll be using View A as the base and simply remove the overlay. The length, neckline and sleeves are all pretty much exactly what I need so it was a lucky find.

I already had a pair of ballet flats in my stash which I never wear anymore so I plan on dyeing them the correct color. Just need to purchase the dye but I won't do that till the fabric is in my possession and I can see what color is needed.

I'm waiting a bit before purchasing the Spoonflower fabric but since I am tall, I know I will need the bigger print. I will be getting it on crepe de chine but am hopeful there is a sale of some sort soon because $23/yard is not fun when you're on a budget.
Confused

Hoping to make a mock up of the pants and top this week during the holiday break but we'll see. I am excited to get this started.

Community Member of the Year 2019
PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command & Rogue Detachments
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Cloud City Leia, Vice Admiral Holdo, Cara Dune, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp thanks to Christmas, I had some spare cash and was able to purchase the Spoonflower fabric MUCH faster than I had thought. I ordered 3 yards of the regular length. I was worried I might have to order the "tall" as I am 5'8" but after speaking with a few others who have the fabric, it was decided the "regular" would be the way to go.

With a 10% discount code and $3 shipping, my total came to $71.78 after tax.

I also was able to pick up the chiffon lining needed for the cape at Michael Levine's this past weekend and after their sale, I had 4 yards for $10.

Thanks to coupons etc. my total cost so far for the costume is $164.01 which is WELL below my budget for this costume. I am so happy! Now I just need to wait for the Spoonflower to arrive to begin draping it to get the look needed.

I lucked out on the patterns and discovered that a pattern I had picked up awhile ago can also be used for the pants. I'll be using it instead since I didn't want to wait for the patterns I previously listed to go on sale.

The top I intend to use McCalls M7432 instead as this was also in my stash thankfully. Mr. Green
View C seems to be closest to what I need with a few modifications.

I'll be mocking up the top and pants probably tomorrow and will post results when I'm done.

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Cloud City Leia, Vice Admiral Holdo, Cara Dune, Clone Cadet
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your project. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof the holidays and their shipping times cancelled my plans to have my mockups done but that's okay. I was finishing up my Episode 9 Rey and getting it approved as well as working on a few other costumes so time wasn't wasted.

In any case, small update is better than none. I received the fabric.com fabric and found it to be super red. It was almost a tomato red and that would not do so I returned it. I was able to find this at my local JoAnn's instead and I really like it. It was $4.99/yard (with coupons) which was still definitely in the budget, especially once I got the refund on the fabric so it was fine. Best part is that it matches the shoes I ordered perfectly!

Here is the fabric in the sun:

and here it is in store lighting:

My Spoonflower fabric also arrived so I am set to begin. I plan on working on the pants/top and belt this coming week but since I started a new job, not sure if that will happen. Guess I'll play it by ear. Hoping to complete this before February though so fingers crossed. Mr. Green

Costume Mentor
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're off to a great start! I look forward to seeing this come together.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnnnnd the trim arrived this morning and now I have everything I need to begin. Once I get through my current load of commissions that is. Shocked

Here are all the fabric purchases I made as well as the shoes purchased at Kohl's.

In addition, I had these patterns and have decided to use them instead.

The pants need no modifications and the shirt I am going to use will be View B. It has the side slits, is the proper length and the boatneck neckline. Only change will be the sleeve area by the wrist.

I had a question for people who have made this already. In this photo, you can clearly see the jacket has a yoke.

No mention of yoke is made in the standard and I have seen and heard many people have just sewn it to the collar piece. Is one way better than the other? The yoke added actually makes it easier in my opinion. It was my intention to use the same jacket pattern I used for my SW Adventures Padme costume for this and then modify but curious as to others thoughts.

In any case, I don't see any work happening on this until at least Sunday but you never know.

Costume Mentor
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make the yoke. It's honestly the easiest way to do this and explains why it was done in the movie. Razz

Best of luck with this; looks like you're all set for this to happen.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: