Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=33498fd4eff0182972f6ca565bd070a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another Battle Handmaiden WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Another Battle Handmaiden WIP Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I'm new and working on my first rebel legion costume!
I've made a start already and I've shared my progress on the Padme facebook group, so here I am getting around to making a forum post Smile

I've started on the overcoat, and I've decided I never want to try and sew a ribbon onto stretchy velvet ever again Razz (though I know I probably will at some point)

Below I'll post some photos of the progress I've made so far.

So I have made the lining for the overcoat, still fixing the ribbon to the overcoat and trying to deal with puckering and finished the shirt. I've started on the pants too, but no photos as they are currently in time out for misbehaving

All feedback is welcome
Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking fantastic so far, and I feel your pain on that trim stitching. I wound up hand basting most of my costume together because my sewing machine didn't like the slippage.

I am a little worried about your collar attachment. The standards call for it to be seamless along the front side, but it looks like you might have a seam all the way around the neck. It's a little hard to tell in your photos though.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Sache

2019-2020 Charter Committee | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your start looks great and I like your colors. Very Happy

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yess love seeing more working on this costume! You have a wonderful start and the colors look great!

One issue I'm seeing is the sleeve. It should be attached down the sides, basically meeting at the little corner where the trim meets. I'll share a photo below to show what it looks like outstretched. The best pattern for the look is a half circle

Also agree with Jenna about the collar, it's hard to tell so maybe some extra photos when you get the chance to give some collar details?

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for the responses.

Quote:

I am a little worried about your collar attachment. The standards call for it to be seamless along the front side, but it looks like you might have a seam all the way around the neck. It's a little hard to tell in your photos though.

I've taken some close up pictures of the collar which I'll post below, but I'm not what you mean. I've looked at the reference photos of the original and it seems to have a collar seam, which I've tried to replicate as closely as possible.

Here is my collar:

Is this ok, or will I need to do a redesign?

As for the sleeves: I had it in my head that they needed to be circles, idk where I got that idea, probably from the reference photos where her arms are by her sides and the sleeves are shorter the closer they are to her body, and you can see the lining.

Quote:

One issue I'm seeing is the sleeve. It should be attached down the sides, basically meeting at the little corner where the trim meets. I'll share a photo below to show what it looks like outstretched. The best pattern for the look is a half circle

I have looked at some cosplay battle handmaidens (where there's enough lighting to see the detail Smile) and it almost looks like the sleeves are sewn into the side seams. Is that what you mean? Or do they sew into the trim down to the waist? It's really hard to tell Smile

And I thought this was going to be an easy one! Smile
Thank you in advance!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are right that the sleeves are a full half-circle shape, they're just a little dangly at the bottom.

I took a video of how my trim/sleeves attach a while back for a local build group, so here it is if the narrated tour helps: https://www.facebook.com/songofamazon/posts/1469530003218122

Also, this particular photo of my mockup also might help (super blurry, but you can see how the bottom hangs down:

The collar, unfortunately, is a bit of a problem in front. The style used in this costume seamless with the front part of the jacket, so there isn't a separate collar piece that you add to the neckline. I uploaded a couple versions of my pattern here so you can take a look at how that was achieved: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ogldi21GTz5_kycPUNF2wvGly6IsWFJZ/view?usp=sharing

Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenna,

Thank you for the pattern, thats really helpful!

I just want to check that I understand the collar situation (I dont want to get it wrong a second time) and where all the seams should line up. I think the top of the front pattern piece is the back seam of the collar?
Hopefully that makes sense, here is a pic i drew on in paint

Have I got this right?
Thanks!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct! That's it. Leia Buns

I find it helpful to trim in 5/8" at a diagonal from that corner between the shoulder seam and where the collar takes off so that the collar transitions smoothly from the front to the back.

Ravyn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenna,

It's annoying that I'll need to remake so much of it, I can see now why people make a mock up first Smile

And I'll need to get more velvet so it may be a little while before I post again
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all learn the value of mock ups at some point. Wink Good luck with the changes.

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: