Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aa5c4b5c0a2820eb25055c83682a4599Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poe Dameron TROS build WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodhi_Rook ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Poe Dameron TROS build WIP Reply with quote

So finally I found the time to put up some details on my Poe build for the upcoming premiere of Episode IX.

The first item that consumed most of my time and work so far is the bandolier and bag:

By now it seems pretty much confirmed, that the style of the pouches was inspired by Yugoslavian Army "Mosin Nagant" Ammo pouches. Luckily I was able to get my hands on two of those. I took one of them apart to use it as a template for a sewing pattern.

The fabric of the original pouches is quite thick and sturdy and seems to be double-layered, so I tried to replicate that. I used some iron-on bonding-fleece to get a more rigid material:

After some testing I went for doing this BEFORE cutting out the pattern, because there is a considerable amount of shrinkage during the ironing-process.

Only the center-pouch seems to have the original dimensions. The two on the outside are a bit smaller, so I shrinked the pattern in width. (I went for 12 cm wide, while the middle one has 16 cm).

So that's my current version:

The hooks were identified as WWII German gasmask-container-hooks. While those are pretty commonly offered on ebay, I was a bit held back by the price. Paying 50 Bucks for just one hook seemed rather pricey. I bought one original hook anyway, but kept looking for alternatives. A pretty nice substitute in size and shape is this one:

(left: NVA hook, right: genuine gasmask-hook)

Just paint it olive, file of the bottom part and you are pretty close!
Those hooks are from former German Democratic Republic carrying-harnesses:

They are far cheaper and more abundant - and each already comes with three hooks!

(If you are looking for them on ebay, search for "NVA Tragegestell" or "NVA Y-Riemen". But caution! There are different versions! Check the detail-pics to get some with the right hooks!)

And this is how I understood the mounting of the hooks on the bandolier:

The hook is attached with 20mm cotton-tape that is than additionally fixed with a second tape running across. For reasons of stability that does actually make sense. (And as soon as you actually put in on to carry the bag, you get the same outward deformation as seen on the promo-pix).

The really hard part due to the scarce references was the side bag. Those were the fuzzy images I worked from:

The Hi-Res promo-pic unfortunately only showed part of it:

So this were my considerations: To match the rest of the bandolier it figured they might have used the same design. So I basically inflated the pattern for the pouches to match the estimated dimensions of the bag. The shape of the upper part turned out pretty close.

But the front and the closing mechanism are pure speculation. So I used the basic design again and stretched the shape of the leather strap to match the size of the bag. I thought that maybe to avoid an additional buckle, they used the bigger leather strip to go with the button on the mounted smaller pouch.
That combined with the screentshot from the trailer led me to this:

(While the four rivets on the top seem to be actually visible on the screenshots, the one on the front was just installed for stability reasons. And the light-colored thread... well... it just looked cooler that way...)

(The small magnet lock you see on the top was just installed to make it easier to keep the bag closed. As this can't be seen from the outside, I thought it might be a handy addition).

Anyway, I guess this part is the first I'll have to change once the movie is out.. Wink

The carrying-straps were pretty easy in the end, because they could be seen clearly on the promo pic. To make sure the rivets will hold, I've sewn some leather enforcements to the inside of the bag:

The only puzzle piece was the backside mount of the shoulder strap.

But seeing this small piece from the trailer gave me an idea:

The short strap the hook is mounted on comes like this:

And what we see on the screenshot looks a lot like the rivet/button that closes the strap!

So I did this:

It seems to match the silhouette seen in the trailers. And it actually seems kind of natural to mount the hook using the genuine strap.

And that's what it looks like combined:

(Sorry, the rest of the costume is still WIP and mostly "borrowed" from my Force Awakens costume... Razz )

So next big issue is the holster...
Will keep you posted!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job so far! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great research and work on the Poe costume! I'm starting to gather parts for this costume and noticed that the strap hooks and bag flap hook on the bandolier are from the Czech Army M60 backpack. I'm attaching a temporary photo of a backpack that I just purshased from ebay to show the hooks.

Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yoda111: Thanks a lot!

The czech army Y-straps are also sold separately without the backpack!

Already found those due to new pix on EW:

Here are some pix of the Y-Straps I got:

If you remove one of the bigger hooks you are left with this short strap which seems to fit quite nicely:

That's my bag now:

(This has been my main reference for the bag: )

If I find the time, I'll replace those tapes on the bandolier with the vintage-straps from the czech-carrying-harness Wink
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming together! You'll want to stitch that first layer of leather on top of the bag down to the material. The top layer is only riveted like you have it.
Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
It's coming together! You'll want to stitch that first layer of leather on top of the bag down to the material. The top layer is only riveted like you have it.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did! Laughing

The first layer is sewn to the fabric of the bag. (Maybe it doesn't Show to well on the pix, because I used a dark thread).

My sewing machine can't handle more than one layer of such strong leather anyway...
I then drilled holes through all three layers to rivet the top part on.
Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now also found some time to work on the Holster.
The Basic shape was pretty straight-forward:

Assuming that the smaller belt is 4cm wide, I calculated the broad belt to be 11cm.
Cut out the other parts to fit well on my upper thigh.

One extra detail puzzled me a bit:

There is this additional leather-strap running on the inside of the gun-holster. I first thought it's purely decorational. But then I figured it might be there to give more support to the front of the gun.
So I made this part:

Put it into the holster like that:

This way it additionally ensures that the gun won't slip out on the bottom:

(my plastic gun is so light, it's sufficiently supported on the top part of the Holster. But I don't know if they had issues with the prop-guns...)

Because this had to be riveted in on the front side also, the decorational leather-straps comfortably hide those rivets:

I'm also pretty happy with how the belt-buckles turned out:

Did this as a 3D-print, which was then sanded, finished, molded and cold-cast in a pewter-resin-blend.

From the promo-pics you might get the impression that the overall geometry is circular. But by the two buckles at the side you can tell that the form has to be something closer to what I did:

Still a lot of small details I'd like to improve, but now I got all the main parts done. Very Happy
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holster is not the same as the TLJ version. It angles downward. Also..there's a couple of rivets on it as well. Like so..........

Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
The holster is not the same as the TLJ version. It angles downward. Also..there's a couple of rivets on it as well. Like so..........

Cool! Thanks a lot for the info on those details! Very Happy
Interestingly, the rivets seem to confirm my idea of how the inner strap is mounted inside the holster!

And regarding the diagonal upper part of the holster: Haven't noticed that one so far! Actually looks a lot cooler that way (and has some logic in a technical sense for drawing the gun!)

Do you happen to have any reference-pix at hand? If I find the time to rework the holster before the premiere, I'd like to get it right! Cool
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhi_Rook wrote:
BroadSword wrote:

Cool! Thanks a lot for the info on those details! Very Happy
Interestingly, the rivets seem to confirm my idea of how the inner strap is mounted inside the holster!

And regarding the diagonal upper part of the holster: Haven't noticed that one so far! Actually looks a lot cooler that way (and has some logic in a technical sense for drawing the gun!)

Do you happen to have any reference-pix at hand? If I find the time to rework the holster before the premiere, I'd like to get it right! Cool

You can see it here:
Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:

You can see it here:

Ah, now I see! Thanks! Very Happy
Let's see how far I'll get until the premiere... Cool
Bodhi_Rook ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

German premiere in Berlin this morning!
Unfortunately I only managed around 90% of what I had planned for the costume, but it didn't matter.
After all, it was about the movie!

Don't worry, won't spoil anything!

I'm just reliefed and exhausted, I'm happy and I'm sad, I'm simply overwhelmed by a movie that actually exceeded my expectations.
In the end I actually had tears in my eyes.

(already wathched it a second time this night... Mr. Green )

Have fun everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: