Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=25a9c2c7b9676f3111eeee5b0fe5391bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[WIP] Mara Jade - Mysteries of the Sith (video game)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: [WIP] Mara Jade - Mysteries of the Sith (video game) Reply with quote

As the title notes, I'm beginning the process of making a build of Mara Jade from the Mysteries of the Sith expansion pack to the Dark Forces 2 video game.

There is no established standard (one is in progress, however has gone cold at this time), so I'll be going from the base line with this build.

Before beginning, I'm working to figure out just -what- options to take. The box art, while more detailed, does not match in game footage (pre-2000 graphics are limited).

cover
http://i.imgur.com/prLseY2.jpg

In game footage
http://i.imgur.com/2nbHE0Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/meAPPXi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NVZNknL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MUSdL4J.jpg

The shirt & belt buckle are the biggest differences between the box art and game footage. The box art has her wearing a grey tank top, and in game footage has a typical rebel bib shirt. The belt buckle also goes from 5 sides to 6 (in game).

I'm looking to make the jacket out of faux leather, due to the slight sheen noted on both the box art and game footage. The yellow striping I'm assuming is similar to Luke's ceremonial jacket from the end of ANH, and is layered top stitching (this makes sense since it's also the waist band).

I cannot tell in any image if their is an actual collar however. The game footage doesn't indicate one, and her arm blocks any potential collar in the cover art.

The pants read 'blood stripe', much like Han Solo's from ESB. Boots are black, no buckles/zipper. I've already sourced out the boots.

Either way, I'll be posting up progress and would love any input from another set of eyes. This will be a unique choice for the character. Especially with 'oh look redhead Jyn Erso with a lightsaber' may be the new character name lol.
SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Legion Charity Liaison
Legion Charity Liaison

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a short mandarin collar.

there's definitely a collar.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Fri May 11, 2018 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also luke's layered top stitching doesn't result in actual 'stripes'. Wink

this jacket has actual black/yellow stripes (more similar to Han Solo bloodstripes)
Legion Charity Liaison
Legion Charity Liaison

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:

this jacket has actual black/yellow stripes (more similar to Han Solo bloodstripes)

One might debate that the limitations of video games graphics at the time, the black and yellow stripes are the way that they simulated the top stitching /ribbing that we see on Luke's ANH Ceremonial and various other jackets in the universe.

Matter of perception/eye of the beholder, maybe.
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. OMG THANK YOU for clarifying the collar. My brain said there should be one, but you never know.

As for the arms, I'm not feeling they are blood stripes. Namely due to the markings on her pant legs, which show gold/brown stripes horizontal down. The distance between the gold stripes is huge, which may be due to limitations in the graphics of the late 90's. With the tighter stripes on the arm, I figured the legs were '90's graphic' blood stripes, and the arms on the jacket were much like Luke's (gold top stitched).

Granted, if there had been no gold stripes on the legs, I'd absolutely go with blood stripes on the arms (like Jyn Erso's jacket).

For in film reference, I'm mostly basing my idea on Luke's ceremonial attire. Since he's also wearing brown pants/gold blood stripe and a jacket with a very similar texture on the arms. Though the pockets based a bit on Han's ESB jacket.

Here is a test of the blood stripe on my pants (still need adjust them)
https://imgur.com/a/NNMpivI

I appreciate all feedback. As you can see, trying to replicate in the real world something from a late 90's game is trying.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithLantern wrote:
Cobalt-60 wrote:

One might debate that the limitations of video games graphics at the time, the black and yellow stripes are the way that they simulated the top stitching /ribbing that we see on Luke's ANH Ceremonial and various other jackets in the universe.

Matter of perception/eye of the beholder, maybe.

I'm just going by this image, not the in-game graphics -- these are stripes.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. Which is one of the hard parts on this costume, in that you have in game footage (with a full front/sides/back view), and the box art (which has differences in it). I'm taking mostly the video game into account, because without those additional views, this wouldn't even be admissible for the Rebel Legion.

Some people have done skins of this version of Mara for Jedi Academy, which blends both in game and the box art designs. While not LFL or official, they seem to go with the 'blood stripe on the pants, top stitching on the arms' theory.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well either way its a great costume. good luck with your project, it will be nice to see this come to life. I loved the game.

at the time, there weren't many female heroes in Star Wars...
..but there were lots of female characters like this in 'FPS' games like this one -- MOTS sort of tapped into the whole "tomb raider" / "fakk2" thing that was going on at the time (late 90's) -- this was sort of the SW version of Tomb Raider Razz good times. LOL
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yep, pretty much! Though who doesn't love the idea of battling a rancor? I admit I had been an EU fan prior to playing Dark Forces (which I loved), so getting to play -as- Mara Jade was amazing. It is curious why they didn't just put her in the common black bodysuit, but I actually rather like the jacket/pants style.

Hopefully I can pull this off!
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So resurrecting this old thing. Pretty much completed the jacket (based on the cover art), using heavy duct cloth for the black and a stretch gold spandex (top stitched with padding) for the arms/edging. Fully lined with functional pockets/zipper.

Custom made the belt buckle, since apparently this is the one of the few times a 5 side buckle was used in the SW universe. Knee pads ordered which will be painted/adjusted based on the in game footage.

After that, just wait for funds to get a new lightsaber, and hopefully submit in October.
SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Legion Charity Liaison
Legion Charity Liaison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing it.
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/24zfsGF

Photo of the jacket currently. Also got wig glue since she ties her hair back, and my wig is lace front, to ensure it stays in place.

Knee pads arrived and look pretty good. Just some adjustments and painting, and that step will be over.
SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Legion Charity Liaison
Legion Charity Liaison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket Looks great! Nice Work!
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no updates, once I start working I entirely forget to update.

Anyway, Mara Jade is approved! Very Happy

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=21652&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: