About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c90d95413599178ac3787b40732fd9dfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Don Post X-wing helmet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:
Zhi-don Aquintas wrote:
I can safely say....reluctantly....yes. Crying or Very sad

For the time being. Which is why, again, I'd advise potential pilots to bite the bullet and get a better helmet from the beginning. If the standards change at some point down the road, you'll be better off spending the extra cash now and getting the more accurate helmet, rather than using the cheap helmet and having to upgrade.

Why would you have to upgrade? It seems to me if you are grandfathered in, you are grandfathered in. Are you going to pull someone's status if they have a costuming piece that is no longer accepted if they were accepted with it when they first joined?

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I apologise. I should not have posted that. I don't make decisions regarding standards.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
JediBith (Liz Wrightson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fiberglass Don Post Deluxe X-Wing Pilot Helmet. Before I get really upset at all this talk of forcing upgrades (I have over 50 hours of labor put into my helmet -- and it most certainly was NOT inexpensive) I want to clarify that you all are NOT referring to those...?

This is some info about the helmet from Jez at the Star Wars Helmet Archive:

Quote:
However I'm jumping ahead of myself, back to Don Post. starting with budget helmets in 1977 of Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Chewy, 3PO etc. etc., by the 1990's Don Post had opted for a range based on 3 price points:
bullet

Budget ($30-$60 price range) - this was the mass produced vinyl helmets they'd produced since 1977, the majority of which was from their own internal sculpts, so quite inaccurate.
bullet

Classic Action ($100-$150). Much more accurate helmets that were screen-size at the very least and in many cases really quite accurate. Cast in latex from the same moulds as the Deluxe.....
bullet

Deluxe Range ($400-$1000) - these were made of high quality (and heavy) fiberglass and were cast from original helmets

<<(*-*)>>
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, I've never seen a fiberglass one in person, but we're talking about the vinyl ones that warp if you look at them. From the link you posted, the fiberglass one looks definately sturdier than the plastic one.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
JediBith (Liz Wrightson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm good, then? chickpilot

<<(*-*)>>
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I assume he's seen your helmet, talk to Jon, but otherwise, I'd say yes.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of Don Post helmet that Liz has looks good. Smile Accurately sized and detailed, unlike the widely dispersed vinyl ones. Rolling Eyes

I didn't even realize her's was a Don Post.
Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Bojangles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Liz, I've never seen a fiberglass one in person, but we're talking about the vinyl ones that warp if you look at them. From the link you posted, the fiberglass one looks definately sturdier than the plastic one.

Here a few pics of the Don Post Deluxe fiberglass helmet.

HTH

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azman, is that a stock helmet, or have you made any modifications to it?

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
JediBith (Liz Wrightson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mine was a "blank" -- no art on it. I'm not even allowed to say how I got it, but suffice to say I did all the airbrush work on the outside and internal work on it (headphones and mic, strapping, etc.). I know mine passed muster over a year ago with Jon, but I just want to clarify standards for the very few of us that might have these. I plan to replace the visor, but otherwise I love the thing! From what I've read I guess they are now valuable...

I guess the bottom line is...I'm always up for improving what I've got, but I thought this helmet was pretty top-notch, and I'm looking for official recognition for me and other deluxe-owners out there. Don't lump us in with the vinyl helmeters when those standards get re-written, eh?! :-)

<<(*-*)>>
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz - You're good. No worries.

Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
The type of Don Post helmet that Liz has looks good. Smile Accurately sized and detailed, unlike the widely dispersed vinyl ones. Rolling Eyes

Does the condscending attitude really help avoid the fact that people went with what was available? If they would have made more of the type of helmets Liz has, or made the consumer version to the same proportions..."and I said to myself... what a wonderful world" but snarkin' on the quality of the helmets available isn't gonna change things. To paraphrase Sigourney Weaver in Galaxy Quest:

Quote:
"Does the (eye) rolling help?"

From what I read on the website, those deluxe helmets are insanely rare, which does little for the many people who want to do the pilot costume.

I've seen pics of Liz's bucket...very nice! (but very rare)

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog

Last edited by Krash () on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
JediBith (Liz Wrightson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon -- I was just worried because it looked like the standards were changing since I was approved...

I'm going to have to get re-approved later this year as it is: I'm losing weight Mr. Green so I have to make a new flight suit! Yay! /end happy derail...

<<(*-*)>>
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to throw MY two credits worth out there:

When I got my costume going, it was either buy a mass-produced Lucasfilm AUTHORIZED Don Post helmet for $59 on eBay or an ILLEGALLY produced and non-Lucasfilm approved helmet made by Richies Armor or Dreadnaught Industries for $150. Those were MY only options.

While my DP is smaller than "technical specs", I have had good luck with it....sanding down the paint a little to be more worn looking than the unfortunate spray job it had been mass produced with...it still looks like it exists from George Lucas' lived-in Star Wars universe though. Which is more than I can could say for some specific others, but won't. That's not my decision.

Hey, I myself find the center ridge on the DI to be ridiculously high and cartoonish-looking. So, I'd say if the DP isn’t acceptable for being too small, that the DI shouldn't be either for being inaccurate as well.

Which leaves us with Richie's. I did eventually buy a RA kit on sale, but frankly, they kind of cheaped out by the time I had gotten mine (I even had to ask him to send me an additional part they hadn't bothered to double-check to make sure was part of my kit -- as well as send the correctly colored rebel logos I had originally asked for). The visor, which is slightly warped, is not even made to be liftable anymore (despite what his poorly spelled "instruction" sheet said)...it is now apparently made to be in a constantly down position. My friend and I have not had the time to put the RA helmet together yet, and will have to rejigger the thing to include a visor which lowers and raises. We'll probably actually have to cannibalize from the DP and rely on our own mold-making skills to get the thing together into a workable fashion.

So, I’d say that the term “better” helmet used by Ed is not only mistaken, but belittling as well. And to hear derogatory comments about “Don't lump us in with the vinyl helmeters” or getting bad-mouthed from someone who wears a JEDI costume, let me just say in my nicest, teeth-gritting-I'm kidding-but not TOO much-way...well…let's just say it has to do with sticking a direct hit up your exhaust port.

And thanks Krash for pointing out that using what is available at an affordable cost should not be a point of derision.

Now, do I think the current Rubies helmet is a stepdown from even the DP? Sure I do...it's lightweight, flimsy and from pics I've seen, the visor looks wrong. I probably wouldn't approve that helmet, not because it looks correct but too small, but because it just looks wrong.

So, I am in the (very slow) process of replacing my Don Post helmet, for a blackmarket version. Is it because of anything of you eyerollers have to say?

Not for a second.
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more. I definitely want to do a Rebel pilot. And why not? My heroes have been pilots, Luke and Wedge to name off two of them.

And I am forced to agree with the assessment of RA'a quality. Now I am sure that people have had a positive experience with RA, and I don't mean to take away from them. I, however, have had a bad experience with them and will never thow another dime in their direction again. Now this proves to me a problem since it begs the question of where to go to get a decent helmet. RA is out as far as I am concerned. And we won't go into the SFP folks. As much of a disdain that Rubies is ( I have a Rubies TIE HELMET, so I know the trouble associated with them), it would seem that they are the only ones out there that are even close to fit someone on a budget.

It is all well and good for those folks who have a higher income to dictate what accessories should be acquired for the completion of any given costume. I am happy for those folks who make a good living that throwing upwards to a few hundred dollars for a costume accessory doesn't hinder them in the least. People don't realize that there is a lot of money flowing in certain areas. This is certainly true in the Californina and Florida areas. Folks have to remember that there are other parts of the world don't have the luxury of dropping that kind of money for costume pieces as others do. And I grow tired of people being looked down upon because they have to go to the cheaper method to achieve the costume because that is what is in their budget.

If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck. Hey, guess what, it is a freaking duck! Who cares if it looks a little different. If you want to mandate that costume parts are to be accepted or denied based on what kind of helmet the person has for their costume, you run the risk of alienating alot of good folks who are willing get involved with the charity work that we do. Are we to be so anal that we lose focus on what it is that we are doing? This is about the charity work, first and foremost. The fact that we are Star Wars geeks should be secondary. But... to those who show disdain for the lesser quality items, might I suggest that if it bothers you so much that a new member (or potential new member) has gone that route, when you feel they should go the same route as you because you can afford such a luxury, that you pitch in and help them along. What, you don't feel like it is your place to help someone financially? Ok, fair enough. I am feeling compelled to say shut up..... but I will just say this: feel fortunate that there are those out there who want to participate in the legion to help their respective communities and grow the numbers of the Rebel Legion.

Thank you,

- Bill Kohlleppel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: