Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=676e09b9b19dc64137208731b072e6ecMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member! Senatorial Leia questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sayyadina ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: New member! Senatorial Leia questions Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks for adding me! I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time but only recently learned about this group.

I'm getting ready to make the Senatorial Leia costume for an event. I'm not sure yet if I will fully join the Legion, but I would like to make my costume at a level that would be accepted should I decide to do so. Before I start, I have some questions:

1. WIP: I'm a reasonably experienced seamstress and feel confident that I can follow the dress tutorials. Is there any need to post WIP photos if things are going fine, or can I just submit when finished?

2. Belt materials: I'm having a bit of trouble finding leather or vinyl that is a bright as my fabric. They seem bright white by themselves but next to the fabric they look ivory. Is this ok or should I keep looking? Any Los Angeles area source suggestions? I've been to the garment district already, though I could have missed something.

3. Belt metal pieces: I've read some builders that painted the metal pieces. Is this necessary or can they be left plain bare metal? If it is needed, what paint is best?

4. Boots: I have some issues with my feet and knees that make many shoes hard to wear for any length of time. It's very difficult to find non-lacing boots that fit. (My feet are flat and narrow, and I use hard plastic arch supports.) I see some boots on Amazon that would suit the costume, but I'm wary of purchasing anything I can't try on. Any boot recommendations?

5. Elastic: Is elastic at waist (to help hold dress at proper level for belt and blousing) acceptable as long as it doesn't show?

6. Pockets: I want pockets! I don't they'll show. Any problem with that?

Apologies if these questions have been asked and answered a million times before. I did some searching first on the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance!

Sayyadina
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member! Senatorial Leia questions Reply with quote

Sayyadina wrote:

1. WIP: I'm a reasonably experienced seamstress and feel confident that I can follow the dress tutorials. Is there any need to post WIP photos if things are going fine, or can I just submit when finished?

I think you can do whatever you want. If you think you don't need to show the process, you can just let see the final result. Not everyone does a WIP post. However, many of us feel much confident sharing our progress to make sure everything is fine, get some advice, and to help others Smile

Sayyadina wrote:

5. Elastic: Is elastic at waist (to help hold dress at proper level for belt and blousing) acceptable as long as it doesn't show?

It should be acceptable as long as it doesn't show (if it's hidden by the belt) My senatorial gown has an elastic band to keep everything tidy and it totally works for me!

Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New member! Senatorial Leia questions Reply with quote

Yay! Welcome to being a Leia!

Sayyadina wrote:

WIP threads are not required, but they can come in helpful if there is a question while you're building the costume or just as a "on-the-right-track" type thread. The members here are very helpful. Smile

Sayyadina wrote:

2. Belt materials: I'm having a bit of trouble finding leather or vinyl that is a bright as my fabric. They seem bright white by themselves but next to the fabric they look ivory. Is this ok or should I keep looking? Any Los Angeles area source suggestions? I've been to the garment district already, though I could have missed something.

Could you get a half hide of uncoloured leather and stain/paint it yourself? Like a veg tanned, or just dehaired (couldn't think of the other word, sorry!) would work. You'd be able to paint/stain it to the white that you'd like to match the colour of your fabric.

If you're wanting to use vinyl/pleather, you may end up with some colour non-matching, but I don't think the original was exactly the same white as the dress.

Sayyadina wrote:

3. Belt metal pieces: I've read some builders that painted the metal pieces. Is this necessary or can they be left plain bare metal? If it is needed, what paint is best?

I haven't painted my metal, but I think it may have to do with the shine on the pieces. If you need to paint the metal, you'll want to get a spray that is made specifically for metal and paint them before you add them to your belt so you don't have to worry about metal colouring getting on the white belt.

Sayyadina wrote:

4. Boots: I have some issues with my feet and knees that make many shoes hard to wear for any length of time. It's very difficult to find non-lacing boots that fit. (My feet are flat and narrow, and I use hard plastic arch supports.) I see some boots on Amazon that would suit the costume, but I'm wary of purchasing anything I can't try on. Any boot recommendations?

I was lucky enough to find a pair of boots that I could modify easily at a yard sale locally. I've seen ladies getting the Amazon boots that work for the character, so hopefully one of them would be able to give you a more detailed review of that boot.

Sayyadina wrote:

Elastic to help with the blousing at the waist I believe is acceptable as long as it doesn't peek out from behind your belt. Smile

Sayyadina wrote:

6. Pockets: I want pockets! I don't they'll show. Any problem with that?

I believe if you're going for approval you can't have pockets in the outer dress. I'm remaking my belt and placing a slot pocket in the inner portion of the belt to hold my phone (if needed). It won't make a difference to the shape of the belt when it's on me, but that may be the way to go. Or make a pocket on the inside of your boot if the calf is "loose" enough.

Hopefully something here is helpful!
Sayyadina ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I started the dress and things were going fine until I had to turn it right side out . . . could not figure out how to get the outer and inner dress going the right direction . . . ended up having to rip out most of the attachment seams and re-do them. Bleh. Good thing I have started this long before the event I'm using it for!

For the belt I had already bought a piece of thin white vinyl, I'm just not happy with the shade of white. I went to Tandy leather (so exciting! I didn't know that shop existed until I started reading these posts!) and bought some white Angelus paint and I'm going to see if that will stick to the vinyl to make it the color I want. It's a thin material and will need to be backed with something. I have some 2mm EVA foam. Would that work? I've never used it before. Tandy did not have any leather pieces that would work unless I bought a whole hide and I'm not doing that.

I'm currently scouring thrift stores for some cheap boots in the right shape that fit. If I find something that's not white I'll paint. I've got a while to look but if I don't find anything I could still order from Amazon and cross my fingers.

Still looking for a more definitive answer on the metal plates. Do most people leave bare? Or do most paint? Does anyone sand it to knock down shine or hide scratches? I'd like to do this right the first time rather than re-making things.

Thanks!
Sayyadina ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

I've been home sick recently so made much faster progress on costume than expected. Dress done. Belt done. Hair is in progress, easier than I expected but I still need to adjust size and placement a bit.

Still need boots, since shopping to try on requires actually leaving the house and must wait until I am healthy. So I am barefoot in the picture, which makes the dress look a bit long but I think with shoes it will be fine. See what you think. Thanks!

[/img]
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good. Smile

I'd say to have more blousing over the top of the belt.
And then I have a question: what material are you using? Is it a knit or weave? Because it looks pretty stiff in your photo where it should drape softly instead.

Best of luck with your costume and hopefully a speedy recovery so you can go boots hunting. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Sayyadina ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes, I will try to pull just a bit more over the belt. This was just a quick try-on.

The material is a knit but it's not Jet Set, it's something else I bought in the fabric district before I learned about that. It has a nice drape in a single layer but it is a bit heavy doubled. However, the double layer is very opaque, which is good considering I will be wearing it in front of my high school students, with backlighting!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Smile Best of luck with it.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: