Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=117c867f0a5ec3a39ea55b303d657021Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New to RL. First Costume. Generic Jedi - WIP Log
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrak Farelle ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: New to RL. First Costume. Generic Jedi - WIP Log Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I am brand new to the Rebel Legion. Originally, I set out to make a basic Jedi costume for use in my music classroom. The more I thought about the costume, the more I wanted to make it as accurate as my skill and budget would allow. That's when I found this forum and community. The fabrics I have so far are Sew Classics Hopsack Linen - Potting Soil (inner tunic and robe), Sew Classics Linen Look - Natural (outer tunic, tabard/obi), and Stretch Linen Blend - Sand (trousers). The color scheme is based on OWK/Ep.III, but I'm not trying to replicate his exact outfit.

So that's where I am today, three rolls of fabric and a lot of tutorials to read.

Last edited by Thrak Farelle () on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are great choices. Cool
but you might save yourself some time by just getting store-bought pants.
Ewan wore Dockers on set.

I have a pair of Dockers 'golf pants' that work really well.
they're paper-thin and designed to keep you cool (like under armor)...
..but even just plain $20 khakis from costco will work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read about the Dockers pants earlier today. It made me laugh because I thought, "Surely it can't be that simple." I'll just make sure that the skirt of the OT covers the pockets.
Thrak Farelle ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Boots have arrived Reply with quote

Boots came in the mail today. After reading through the forums and realizing that real leather boots are out of my budget at this time, I went with the Funtasma Walker 130, size S (8-9). I usually wear a 7.5. These fit large on my feet, but not uncomfortably large. My calf is 16" and the calf of the boot is snug but not tight. The shin guard is not pretty. The raw edge of the pleating is white, and I'll have to use polish or paint to cover that up.

Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW_Bugler wrote:
I just read about the Dockers pants earlier today. It made me laugh because I thought, "Surely it can't be that simple." I'll just make sure that the skirt of the OT covers the pockets.

Any pair of straight/slightly baggy pants without cargo pockets and in the right color are fine.
I'm planning to check at the thrift store for a dark brown pair for my second jedi
Thrak Farelle ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Tabard Mockup Reply with quote

So, I ran a sewing machine by myself for the first time. I'm finding it's quite addicting and I'm impressed I sewed a straight line. I measured and cut my tabard pieces based on EeanLedgor's tutorials ( http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112 ) and ended up creating this.

Before I start cutting my "good" fabric, I wanted to check with the forum to see if my measurements are good. How is the shoulder width of my tabard, too narrow, too wide? How does the over all length of the tabard look? I know the OT needs to extend down to provide full coverage of the front and back, and the tabard should extend about an inch lower than the OT's hem.

Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would look better a little longer.
Thrak Farelle ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Self-Scrunching Obi Mockup Reply with quote

While I wait for any other feedback on my tabard (thanks Grimwalker for the input, I'll lengthen them a little in the front), I thought I should start working on my obi.

Since my fabric is fairly thin and I wanted to add some definition to the obi, I made mine based on Vera's Self-Scrunching Obi tutorial ( http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26587 ). I cut out my three pieces, layered them on top of each other, and sewed them together. I suffered my first costuming injury while ironing out the obi and pressing the scrunches.

So, once again, I ask for advice on sizing. My belt is 2 1/4in. wide and my finished obi is 5 1/4" in. wide. Do they look alright together or should I go wider with the obi? My only concern is that, due to my shape, the obi has a tendency to bunch up around my belt. If I go wider, the top of the obi might flop over and cover the belt. Thought?

Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi looks good.
Just remember the tunic should be fingertip length and the tabbards to reach just under that
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go slightly longer than fingertip length. Mace Windu’s tunic goes to the tops of his knees. That gives you about 5-6” to go with.

Tips for your next steps:

• Make sure the seam of your upper panels of your outer tunic are cut to encircle your natural waist and the seam is horizontally level.
• If you don’t plan to have your Tabards extend below the obi in the back, don’t do what some tutorials recommend by stitching them into the waist seam. Use a row of snaps to attach them to the tunic instead
• Avoid Velcro where possible. The coarse side is unkind to natural fabrics and can lead to snags and excessive wear.
Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use these to attach your tabbards to your shoulders, near the neck

I sewed my tabbards to my sash in the back but left them loose in front for any sudden movements
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an interesting screenshot.
the robe is pulling the tabard away from the OT.

you can clearly see, the tabard is attached to the OT at the shoulder.

https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/2-starwars2/full/starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-4991.jpg?strip=all

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milori, do you have a link where I can buy those hooks? Those are some serious hardware.

Cobalt, I had intended to have my tabards removeable by using hooks or snaps. Grimwalker had a good point about velcro. That, and having pets in the house, velco seems to get clogged with pet hair no matter what I do.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "Replica" costumes from museum replicas used buttons.
with a button on the shoulder of the OT and a 'button hole' on the underside of the tabard,
I suspect that's what we're seeing in the screenshot.

either way you'll need some way of fastening the tabard to the OT.
whether its velcro, buttons, snaps, hooks, or whatever works best for you.
there's no right-or-wrong way of doing it -- as long as it works. Wink LOL
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a simple hook/loop sewn on. It wouldn’t stand up to combat but it’s fine for walking around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: