Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e8a01599381a0d77bd60174f2666528Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Honeymoon Suite Dress from SW #70

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RacheLeia (Rachel Folmar)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Leia's Honeymoon Suite Dress from SW #70 Reply with quote

I am planning to make this dress from Marvel Star Wars comic #70 (Rebels & Rogues arc). I would love to get it RL-approved if possible! I've never done this before but at the suggestion from some of the people on the Bun Squad facebook group I'm doing some research and am looking into potentially proposing a standard.

To start with, I got the comic and took pictures of every instance it showed up, which I'll share here. Considering that the comic ends with her still wearing the dress, I think it's likely it will show up again in the next issue; however, I would love feedback as to whether what is shown in this issue is sufficient enough to build a standard on. Here are the pictures:

Front images (in addition to the one above):

Back images:

Side images:

Dress close-ups:

Necklace/face/hair/collar close-ups:

There is also this picture from the issue's cover, but it has some major differences: the sleeves are completely different, the boots are purple instead of white, the belt buckle is hexagonal rather than trapezoidal, and the neckline is more square as opposed to the rounded v-shape of the comic proper (there may be even more that I didn't spot). For that reason, I'm assuming it can be disregarded, or maybe offered up as optional alternatives in the standard:

So what I'm seeing here (with the dress as pictured in the comic proper) is a bell-sleeved, soft v-necked, princess-seamed dress with a small collar, two slits in the skirt front, and a draped overskirt (not quite sure of the proper terminology) in the back that extends from underneath the front skirt panel. The dress is white with lavender accents (the front bodice panel, the insides of the sleeves, the collar, and the draped overskirt). It is worn with plain white, knee-high boots, a silver belt with a single silver trapezoidal buckle, and a silver necklace. The hairstyle is the same as her Hoth hairstyle. Does this sound about right?

Next question: Anyone have any recommendations on what kind of fabric(s) would work well for this? At first I assumed the dress was satin or something similar based on how shiny the fabric looks in the cover image, but then I realized that literally everything looks shiny in the cover image (and as I stated earlier that doesn't seem to be a reliable image to go by anyway). I went to my local Joann and poked around the Casa fabrics section to get ideas. I liked the pearly sheen of the matte satin and satin twill (though the latter is much more expensive and I may not be able to afford it). I've never worked with matte satin before though so I don't know how well it drapes or how badly it wrinkles. The drape's going to need to be really nice for this, particularly for the lavender overskirt. Because of that, I was contemplating doing a contrasting fabric for the lavender. My first thought was that chiffon would be pretty for the overskirt, but then I realized it (probably?) needs to be less see-through for the other lavender parts. Maybe crepe? I'm pretty inexperienced with picking out fabric types so any and all suggestions welcome!

I did find an excellent Casa collection color for the lavender: burnished lilac. There are other lavender/purple colors that could work well too, but I really liked the look of this one (at least from what I saw; they only had it in-store in the chiffon though there's a lot more available online) and I thought it matched very well with the light, slightly mauve-ish purple in the comics. Here is a picture I snapped in-store of the burnished lilac chiffon next to a matte satin in snow white:

I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions/advice/comments you have to give! I think this is a gorgeous costume and I would love to do it justice. Thanks!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome design and thanks for getting all of the reference images in one place! I really do like the lavender paneling.

I think you're right that something with a really nice drape would be good. If it were me, I would go with something medium-weight with a little bit of stretch (spandex) in it. Alternatively, you could take a non-stretch fabric and cut it on the bias (diagonal) which gives nice drape and a bit of stretch.

You could do separate paneling for the lavender bits (and the color you found was great), or you could layer over with the chiffon. That is a bit trickier to get it to lay neatly, but could be a really cool effect.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress and research!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd go for two medium weight fabrics for this. You need them to be opaque.

As for the color I like the contrast, but picking a color is difficult as the first image shows it being more of a soft rose, where others shows it more as a soft lilac. I think something in a soft rose - soft lilac range could work for the colored parts of the dress. Smile I'd avoid getting too far on the blue side of lilac, so lavender would not be my choice of color seeing as it is a blueish purple color. I'm afraid it would easily end up photographing too blueish.

And yes, I agree with Jenna that drape will be important here, so take that into your consideration when buying fabric. Satin can be nice, but also a bit stiff depending on type and thickness. That is typical for woven fabrics. This looks to be very flowing and with a soft drape (check sleeves), which indicates a knit fabric would be better. Knitted fabrics are also stretchy and seeing as this is very form fitting that would also make a knitted fabric a good choice.
Actually spandex might not be a terrible choice though it does tend to be a bit shiny. Wink But you can always use the reverse side.

And good luck with the collar! I can see that it will be annoying getting that to stand up right. Razz

As for the cover image; yeah, those often have art that differs quite a bit from what is otherwise seen in the comic. Since it's the only image I'd say to ignore it.

I'd also say the sleeves may look to be lined with a matching soft rose/soft lilac fabric and here a thin, light fabric like chiffon might not be bad though chiffon is hard to work with. Personally I'd probably prefer something like a cotton voile or similar.

If this costume shows up in the next issue, then please add to the collection of images. We can always use more to help determine the best course of action regarding construction. Smile Good luck with it!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this costume and the colors look great. I am very interested in seeing how you will make this costume. That collar looks very annoying.
Personally, i would care less about the cover and take more pictures into the comic Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the super helpful advice! I don't have any updates yet—it's looking like I'll need to put this one on hold for another month or so, but I'm definitely still planning on making it and I'll post again when I have more to share!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with it. Smile It's always harder being the first to try and tackle a costume and you know that it will likely not be as great as you wished it to be, because you had to blaze the trail yourself, but it is what will help others make it as well. And maybe someday you'll end up making a newer and better version. Wink Who knows? Just be proud of the work you are doing now, expanding on your skills and learning.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Best of luck with it. Smile It's always harder being the first to try and tackle a costume and you know that it will likely not be as great as you wished it to be, because you had to blaze the trail yourself, but it is what will help others make it as well. And maybe someday you'll end up making a newer and better version. Wink Who knows? Just be proud of the work you are doing now, expanding on your skills and learning.

Thanks for the encouragement! Those are wise words I will try to keep in mind as I work on this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: