Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d324571b5095b1cede11f0a3b246e3bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Amidala Naboo Fighter Pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that's just the thing, though, a single pantone swatch can look like five different colors on five different screens. Not to mention it would be of no help to anyone with color blindness; so many shades look identical to them that what they'd need is a second set of eyes to help them determine what actually matches. I agree with the LMO's guidance that we should be looking towards reference photos rather than the inexact science of pantone matching via computer.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
I mean that's just the thing, though, a single pantone swatch can look like five different colors on five different screens. Not to mention it would be of no help to anyone with color blindness; so many shades look identical to them that what they'd need is a second set of eyes to help them determine what actually matches. I agree with the LMO's guidance that we should be looking towards reference photos rather than the inexact science of pantone matching via computer.

Pantone colors are only useful when the Pantone chips are in your hand and you're holding it against the actual fabric. They're pretty useless for checking the color of a photo UNLESS you have a high end professional calibrated monitor (like you and I do) and a photo of a color chart in the same setting and lighting as the photo being examined so proper curves can be applied to correct the color to a standard... not a very common situation.

I do think that when an actual in-person color sample can be pulled, though, they would useful to provide in the CS, at least as something of a reference point, not an actual requirement. And frankly, when something can be pulled that we can agree is fairly close with a reasonable degree of confidence, it can be helpful to provide that at least as a starting point for people. It's super helpful, especially for the color blind among us.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you agree that pantones are only useful in person!

Since that is the case, you can see why the LMO has opted to guide against using them overall. In the rare edge case that someone can get a physical swatch to a physical costume, that sounds like a great thing to be put in a sticky thread in the costume forums, but has no place in the actual standards.

Cheers!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Glad you agree that pantones are only useful in person!

Since that is the case, you can see why the LMO has opted to guide against using them overall. In the rare edge case that someone can get a physical swatch to a physical costume, that sounds like a great thing to be put in a sticky thread in the costume forums, but has no place in the actual standards.

Cheers!

Color managed workflow, at my place of business, that we in IT manage, so yeah. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LeiaAurora"][quote="bekahsoka"]

If it is decided to not use leather as a possible material, that is fine but than the phrase "painted to look like leather" should be omitted as that could potentially confuse people.
If the right weight of leather is used and wetformed, the correct look can be achieved.

Jumping on what Natalie said, with the right weight and the use of wetforming the look can be done. “Painted to look like leather” would just make people wonder why not use leather. I think leather should be an option for those who know how to work with it. Just because some people haven’t achieved that doesn’t mean not everyone can, and it’s not fair to leave out those use can do it. If it’s not going to be an option, then the “painted like leather” wording needs to be changed.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a real costume that exists, and we know the original was in fact NOT made from leather, I fall on the side of just taking the word 'leather' out entirely. The only way you're going to get the kind of crisp beveling to match the reference is with very thin leather, but if your leather is thin, it won't hold the shape of the original and you'd need some kind of support under it. The bracers are molded plastic so should be required as hard parts (3D printed, foam and plastidip, vacuuforming, there are tons of options these days) painted dark brown.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if we are suggesting that leather not be used that the sentence

"painted to look like leather"

be removed as that will be very confusing to people reading it.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently at work, but once I’m off I’ll be updating everything! The description of leather is planned to be taken out, as I do not want confusion and that is why we have discussions Smile

Once I update everything please feel free to double check and let me know if I missed anything!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Just found this. I realize dolls/figures are secondary references but the collar is painted black here. In case that helps.

Also a secondary side close up shot.

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does look like a black turtle neck collar. Optional: ribbed fabric. Smile

As for colors, we definitely want to stay with broad, easy to translate, terms. Pantone is all fine and well, but on my screen the silver filigree was an almost dead match for the vest in medium level light. I agree with the LMO on avoiding Pantone colors. They also tend to make people obsessed with that one shade and that is not what we want.

It's very nice we have people like Lisa who have a color corrected monitor to help us out. Smile

So simply staying with grey should ensure people hit the right range of colors for this. (I personally find charcoal grey to be too dark and see it as more of a medium grey, but won't split hairs over that).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the collar, honestly the line between black and very dark brown is very fine for most Prequel costumes. I know Trisha Biggar came out and said that she specifically avoided true black for Anakin, which is why the standard calls specifically for brown instead, but I don't think that applies to Padme. Based on other exhibit photos I think the original is probably very dark brown, however, I think both should be acceptable since it's really hard to tell and it's not a dealbreaker for the costume.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda like Jocasta Nu's skirt: looks black, is very dark brown. Smile
I'm good with both. Black or very dark brown turtle neck collar.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to note is the belt loop on the side by the pouch. I haven't seen it in other reference shots but it's clearly in the shot above. I don't think it matters one way or another but it could be an optional item if we wanted to include it.

Costume Mentor
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Another thing to note is the belt loop on the side by the pouch. I haven't seen it in other reference shots but it's clearly in the shot above. I don't think it matters one way or another but it could be an optional item if we wanted to include it.

I checked the Battle Arena Padme standards update and they did include that detail there as optional, so I'm all for that.

If we do include super small details only seen in some shots, I'd like to include the seam on her shirt (going along the curve of her elbow almost) that we have seen on the display piece and some decent res photos.

Edit: Regarding the color of the collar, I want to stick closer to dark brown since we have great images of the costume on display showing its clearly brown and fully ribbed. Though I wouldn't deny someone for using an almost black color, since all the movies are known to color correct everything giving us a wide range of colors. (Look at Jyn and Rey lol)

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's just the ESB Han question, haha. In the movie it looks blue, in real life we found out it's actually BROWN. So what did we end up deciding? Ultimately we now take both, because since our goal is to look like we walked off the screen, we can hardly ding people for using a color that we actually see on the screen.

To me, it's much more important that the fit is right- the collar comes all the way up to her chin and it should be close fitting with no sagging, and it should be a heavyweight knit, not a light one. I agree with Lora that ribbing is a good optional detail because if someone has a heavy knit turtleneck that fits them impeccably, that should be acceptable.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> RLGS Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: