Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36ad12511dee23be791b3042e7946d97Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts Reply with quote

Apologies if im dupelicating a thread, for those who went out to Celebration, did anyone see the new Black Series X-Wing Helmet upclose?

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/228485-Hasbros-Luke-Skywalker-Helmet-Now-Available-To-Pre-Order

Generally do we think we will be clearing these lids or do they require modification or will it be a flat out no?

Thanks Smile
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people saw them at the Hasbro booth at Celebration, as I understand it. At least one was high enough in command to say they would "probably" be approvable... possibly some minor mods, but still, probably less than the Poe Black series helmet. Until they're in people's hands, we may not know if there is a difference between the prototypes shown and the shipping version.

They noted that the mohawk is kinda small. Not clear if that's enough of an issue to prevent approval until these are actually in people's hands and they try for approval with them.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmets are also a bit smaller than they should be. But like Kman said, until people start buying these helmets and getting a better look at them, it's hard to say whether or not they will be acceptable.

That said, if you you were going to submit the helmet as a regular Luke Skywalker helmet, it would likely need to be repainted at least a little bit... The helmet isn't entirely accurate for Luke's paint scheme. It's close, but not exact. Though that could change before the helmets start hitting shelves.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TK-51000 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to know about approvability. New on-hand clips are surfacing.

https://youtu.be/kVMWpfEqvVU
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that it looks better than I thought. But it does look a bit small. It would probably work for a costume, especially for a smaller person. But it sure does look nice. It'll make one heck of a display piece.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the padding... I wish it was more accurately orange colored? But it's still pretty nice. Almost worth buying to tear it out, LOL!

The mic looks pretty nice, too. And the lens might be better than some of the hand-built ones I've seen, since the manufacturing techniques they have are a lot more advanced. Also a possible candidate for tearing out for parts. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly interested in a general consensus from one of the respected costume judges.....what I picked up from the video review is that we may need to plastic-weld over the voice activation exterior button and sand that back...I am planning on repainting the entire thing so I'm certainly curious about the assessment of it structurally. I pick mine up in two days.
SageLeader ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any official word on this now that it's been released? I'd like to use this instead of DHPFX because I don't have half the tools needed to build my own.
Adam Mac ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wondering about this. I had mine this weekend and would love to use it for a pilot Luke. From looking at it the shape and size looks good. I'm thinking that the activation button may need to be covered. The main concern we had was the fire bird; they look off centre compared to the film version. Would these need replacing?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? I would also love to know if the black series helmet would be approvable with modifications. Thanks!!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any "official" word about the helmet but, having one myself, I have to say that it's pretty good. Honestly, I'm not sure why it couldn't be approved straight out of the box. Yeah, it's not completely perfect but it's pretty darn good. It's a little bit smaller than it should be but it's not really noticeable unless you have it sitting next to a more correctly-sized helmet, and the activation button isn't really all that noticeable, either. The microphone arm is probably the least accurate part of the helmet, being what it's made out of, but I don't see any reason to disapprove the helmet for that. For the price I have no complaints with the helmet.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of build and size etc i think it looks good, a little crisper round the edges than the abs vac formed lids we're used to.
I think for me what lets it down is the paint job, its too manufactured - obviously and whilst we allow many designs etc i feel we loose the spirit of the thing by not asking someone redo the paint work, if someone submits the helmet for Luke's Red 5 ill definitely be requesting that the helmet Rebel birds are orientated to match visual references at the very least.
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
Blue Squadron Leader (Sean)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone looking for repainted helmets, I’ve done several commissions and posted them to my page. Let me know what you think and if you might want one made. Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/CorelliaGoods/
Kal Argos ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is overall size of the helmet important?

I'm not sure i understand that concern. I can see if details are off like a very short mohawk or, wrong visor, or inaccurate ram horns... but overall size? I think the standards say that flight suit, and vest needs to be proportioned, but I don't think the judges are super stringent on that. So a helmet should be the same, proportioned to the pilot. The APH helmet had various sizes.

I have 3 xwing helmets. A BS one, my own custom from DHPFX, and luke anh efx. The efx one seems way to big.. and i think they didn't take into account the size alteration caused by their molds.

Maybe I dont understand the concern, am I misunderstanding the concern?
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the concern was that it would be too small to wear, the Poe's black series helmet is snug on most folk.
If you look at the helmets that RS props offer cast from a found part they look alot smaller than my DFX.
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: