Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6892ffb7499bfce9e34c2ab79a6f04dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Imperial Ground Crew Disguise - Pre-Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping the discussion...

Leia wrote:

Knee Pads

• Knee pads are a hard black trapezoidal dome with rounded corners, mounted on a black fabric pad.
  • Dome has four round caps, one in each corner.
  • The top strap, on the wider end of the trapezoid, wraps all the way around the leg and connects to the front of the pad.
  • The bottom strap passes through a black metal or plastic buckle on the side of the pad and fastens at the back of the knee.
  • Knee pads are weathered.

-Optional Details
    Straps may be topstitched with several rows of black topstitching.

I'm having trouble finding a good shot of the knee, is it topstitched, or just ribbed?

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally not seen anything one way or another to show there is top-stitching on the knee pads. Until we for sure have some photo evidence of this, I suggest we do not even add the "optional" wording.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i concur, I think it would negate some stretch in the elastic.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a closeup of the knee pad, showing what looks like top stitching to me. I do think it should be optional, though.

On my own knee pads, I'm replacing the elastic with nylon strap/webbing, because they're slightly too small, and also the elastic rolls up constantly when I wear them. The heavier webbing should stay flatter, and look closer to this when I'm done.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to speed things along, I think we can just copy the existing standards for Jyn's boots and gloves from her regular CRL:

Boots:

- Plain dark brown combat boots with two matching leather flaps covering the laces. (Frye brand “Veronica Combat Boots” or similar.) Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners. Bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners. Both flaps have top-stitching around the edges.

- Bottom flap of boot has screen-accurate buckle. The buckle’s bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. The ‘box’ parts of the buckle are black and the ‘wire’ parts are silver.

- Boots may have discrete inner zipper.

Gloves:

- Brown finger-less gloves similar to the Black Diamond ‘Stone’ gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the Velcro with a snap. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.

- Straps should be roughly 1″ (2.5 cm) wide and be secured with snaps. Straps have the finger-side corner cut off.

- Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand. The left is stitching only. The right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, perfect! I'll put that in as optional. They may not go for it, but at least we have the proof logged here.

I'll throw the boot and gloves on the first page right now Smile

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt:

• The belt is a smooth / non-textured black leather or leather like material, approximately 2” (5.08cm) wide (scaled to the wearer).
  • Buckle is approximately 2 1/2” (6.35cm) high by 4 ⅛” (10.47cm) wide with rounded corners, and appears to be made of brushed metal. Buckle may have slight curve.
  • Buckle has an Imperial Code Disk detail at the center.
  • There is a single large silver snap or rivet visible approximately 1” (2.5cm) from the buckle on the wearer’s left side. (Note that Jyn is wearing hers opposite of Imperial regulations!)
  • Two silver belt boxes are worn, one on each side of the buckle.
  • Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)

Optional: Belt may have two thin carved grooves, parallel to the top and bottom edges.

----------------
I'm wondering if we should mention scaling it, if they were the same static size on Kent Deezling. I wasn't able to find the actor for him to get his height.

About the flipped belt... All the caps I have from the movie show hers worn the same as Kent, rivet on the left side, but the toy pictures they are all backwards. I'm going to assume that's just an oversight on their part...

fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Belt:

[*]Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)[/list]

I'm wondering if we should mention scaling it, if they were the same static size on Kent Deezling. I wasn't able to find the actor for him to get his height.

Are belt boxes on other imperial costumes normally scaled to the wearer's height versus being a "standard issue size", like the belt? Or does scaling usually not matter because Imperials are generally a bit taller than Felicity?

I recall reading these are the "R1/Solo era" belt boxes used across nearly all Imperial costumes from those movies, slightly different/smaller belt boxes than the original trilogy. I'll try to find the source.
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleurderys wrote:
Leia wrote:
Belt:

[*]Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)[/list]

Are belt boxes on other imperial costumes normally scaled to the wearer's height versus being a "standard issue size", like the belt? Or does scaling usually not matter because Imperials are generally a bit taller than Felicity?

I recall reading these are the "R1/Solo era" belt boxes used across nearly all Imperial costumes from those movies, slightly different/smaller belt boxes than the original trilogy. I'll try to find the source.

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"

I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the doll is a good reference but our main source for all this should be the costume itself. Dolls have always been secondary references and basing our wording off of one figure probably isn't ideal. This could lead to a precedent with other costumes and figures. Just my two cents though.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.

The measurements listed should be correct, but I do think there should be a note about the difference in sizes between the OT and R1, so people know to get/make the right boxes.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
I understand the doll is a good reference but our main source for all this should be the costume itself. Dolls have always been secondary references and basing our wording off of one figure probably isn't ideal. This could lead to a precedent with other costumes and figures. Just my two cents though.

Yes, we know the doll is secondary reference. That's not in question. What specific part do you want to address?

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

The measurements listed should be correct, but I do think there should be a note about the difference in sizes between the OT and R1, so people know to get/make the right boxes.

I agree it should be noted, does anyone know if vendors tend to label them by era? Perhaps... (Note: Rogue One/Solo Era belt boxes differ in size from Original Trilogy)

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Jabari wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

I agree it should be noted, does anyone know if vendors tend to label them by era? Perhaps... (Note: Rogue One/Solo Era belt boxes differ in size from Original Trilogy)

Yes, the main vendor for the 501st, PhiloProps, labels them as OT and R1-style. Rogue One was the first time they used the smaller boxes (which have a slightly different construction design, as well), and they used them in the Solo movie as well.

R1:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/498994288/set-of-2-belt-box-style-rogue-one-for

OT:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/222276185/set-of-2-imperial-belt-box-for-imperial

(note his English is not very good, thus the word salad in the description)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: