Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6892ffb7499bfce9e34c2ab79a6f04dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Imperial Ground Crew Disguise - Pre-Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping the discussion...

Leia wrote:


Knee Pads

  • Knee pads are a hard black trapezoidal dome with rounded corners, mounted on a black fabric pad.
  • Dome has four round caps, one in each corner.
  • The top strap, on the wider end of the trapezoid, wraps all the way around the leg and connects to the front of the pad.
  • The bottom strap passes through a black metal or plastic buckle on the side of the pad and fastens at the back of the knee.
  • Knee pads are weathered.

    -Optional Details
    Straps may be topstitched with several rows of black topstitching.


I'm having trouble finding a good shot of the knee, is it topstitched, or just ribbed?

_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 950
Location: Brea, California
Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally not seen anything one way or another to show there is top-stitching on the knee pads. Until we for sure have some photo evidence of this, I suggest we do not even add the "optional" wording.
_________________



In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i concur, I think it would negate some stretch in the elastic.
_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 251

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a closeup of the knee pad, showing what looks like top stitching to me. I do think it should be optional, though.

On my own knee pads, I'm replacing the elastic with nylon strap/webbing, because they're slightly too small, and also the elastic rolls up constantly when I wear them. The heavier webbing should stay flatter, and look closer to this when I'm done.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 251

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to speed things along, I think we can just copy the existing standards for Jyn's boots and gloves from her regular CRL:

Boots:

- Plain dark brown combat boots with two matching leather flaps covering the laces. (Frye brand “Veronica Combat Boots” or similar.) Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners. Bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners. Both flaps have top-stitching around the edges.

- Bottom flap of boot has screen-accurate buckle. The buckle’s bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. The ‘box’ parts of the buckle are black and the ‘wire’ parts are silver.

- Boots may have discrete inner zipper.

Gloves:

- Brown finger-less gloves similar to the Black Diamond ‘Stone’ gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the Velcro with a snap. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.

- Straps should be roughly 1″ (2.5 cm) wide and be secured with snaps. Straps have the finger-side corner cut off.

- Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand. The left is stitching only. The right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, perfect! I'll put that in as optional. They may not go for it, but at least we have the proof logged here.

I'll throw the boot and gloves on the first page right now Smile
_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt:


  • The belt is a smooth / non-textured black leather or leather like material, approximately 2” (5.08cm) wide (scaled to the wearer).
  • Buckle is approximately 2 1/2” (6.35cm) high by 4 ⅛” (10.47cm) wide with rounded corners, and appears to be made of brushed metal. Buckle may have slight curve.
  • Buckle has an Imperial Code Disk detail at the center.
  • There is a single large silver snap or rivet visible approximately 1” (2.5cm) from the buckle on the wearer’s left side. (Note that Jyn is wearing hers opposite of Imperial regulations!)
  • Two silver belt boxes are worn, one on each side of the buckle.
  • Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)


Optional: Belt may have two thin carved grooves, parallel to the top and bottom edges.

----------------
I'm wondering if we should mention scaling it, if they were the same static size on Kent Deezling. I wasn't able to find the actor for him to get his height.

About the flipped belt... All the caps I have from the movie show hers worn the same as Kent, rivet on the left side, but the toy pictures they are all backwards. I'm going to assume that's just an oversight on their part...


_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer


Joined: 05 Sep 2017
Posts: 166
Location: Nashville
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Belt:

[*]Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)[/list]

I'm wondering if we should mention scaling it, if they were the same static size on Kent Deezling. I wasn't able to find the actor for him to get his height.


Are belt boxes on other imperial costumes normally scaled to the wearer's height versus being a "standard issue size", like the belt? Or does scaling usually not matter because Imperials are generally a bit taller than Felicity?

I recall reading these are the "R1/Solo era" belt boxes used across nearly all Imperial costumes from those movies, slightly different/smaller belt boxes than the original trilogy. I'll try to find the source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 251

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleurderys wrote:
Leia wrote:
Belt:

[*]Belt boxes are approximately 1.75” (4.45cm) wide by 2.875” (7.3 cm) tall by 1.25” (3.2 cm) deep (outer measurements). The smaller “box” is half the total depth, about ⅝” (1.6 cm). (These are smaller than the standard Imperial belt boxes, but should be scaled to the wearer.)[/list]

I'm wondering if we should mention scaling it, if they were the same static size on Kent Deezling. I wasn't able to find the actor for him to get his height.


Are belt boxes on other imperial costumes normally scaled to the wearer's height versus being a "standard issue size", like the belt? Or does scaling usually not matter because Imperials are generally a bit taller than Felicity?

I recall reading these are the "R1/Solo era" belt boxes used across nearly all Imperial costumes from those movies, slightly different/smaller belt boxes than the original trilogy. I'll try to find the source.


Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 950
Location: Brea, California
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"


I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.
_________________



In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 950
Location: Brea, California
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the doll is a good reference but our main source for all this should be the costume itself. Dolls have always been secondary references and basing our wording off of one figure probably isn't ideal. This could lead to a precedent with other costumes and figures. Just my two cents though.
_________________



In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 251

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"


I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.


The measurements listed should be correct, but I do think there should be a note about the difference in sizes between the OT and R1, so people know to get/make the right boxes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
I understand the doll is a good reference but our main source for all this should be the costume itself. Dolls have always been secondary references and basing our wording off of one figure probably isn't ideal. This could lead to a precedent with other costumes and figures. Just my two cents though.


Yes, we know the doll is secondary reference. That's not in question. What specific part do you want to address?
_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 1375

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"


I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.


The measurements listed should be correct, but I do think there should be a note about the difference in sizes between the OT and R1, so people know to get/make the right boxes.


I agree it should be noted, does anyone know if vendors tend to label them by era? Perhaps... (Note: Rogue One/Solo Era belt boxes differ in size from Original Trilogy)
_________________

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kman ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 1064
Location: Tarzana, CA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Jabari wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
Jabari wrote:

Yeah, the Rogue One/ Solo boxes are smaller than the originals, so it should probably read "smaller than the Original Trilogy Imperial belt boxes" instead of "standard"


I would lean against "smaller than the OT" wording only because new members with no knowledge of the sizing may be confused. If we can get approximate, or close enough, measurements, I would say that would suffice. Most reputable vendors list the sizes of the boxes so that would help alleviate that possible problem.


The measurements listed should be correct, but I do think there should be a note about the difference in sizes between the OT and R1, so people know to get/make the right boxes.


I agree it should be noted, does anyone know if vendors tend to label them by era? Perhaps... (Note: Rogue One/Solo Era belt boxes differ in size from Original Trilogy)


Yes, the main vendor for the 501st, PhiloProps, labels them as OT and R1-style. Rogue One was the first time they used the smaller boxes (which have a slightly different construction design, as well), and they used them in the Solo movie as well.

R1:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/498994288/set-of-2-belt-box-style-rogue-one-for

OT:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/222276185/set-of-2-imperial-belt-box-for-imperial

(note his English is not very good, thus the word salad in the description)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group