Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=76cc26b95ec577b948ccb3770c40ac54Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Imperial Ground Crew Disguise - Pre-Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Standards Development -> Rebel Supporters New Standard Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleurderys wrote:
I never noticed the length of the pockets! I wish they weren't hidden behind the armor so that I could use them.

In terms of fit on Jyn vs Kent, her belt sits RIGHT below the armor, it doesn't have much of a gap, like on Kent. This photo shows velcro for where the belt should go -- I'm guessing the bottom stitching of the pocket is hidden by the belt. maybe the length could optional?

I was thinking that, the only thing that would be a problem is if someone ended it between the belt and the armor and there was a visible horizontal seam there. Maybe we could suggest it goes to the waist, or must be hidden under armor? I'm also curious if there's any pleats or darts in the front, they'd be hidden under the pocket. The velcro may or may not be there just for the exhibit piece, but everything hidden by the belt is good, so we have leeway with however people want to handle that.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
jen0farc ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
Answering the question from above about making it "dark charcoal grey or faded black" - that seems fair.

Agreed, we want to use broad enough language in all aspects of the standard to make sure that we are not forcing any applicant to require two suits if they want to join both clubs.

Exciting to see so much passion for this costume! Thank you everyone for continuing to contribute!
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen0farc wrote:
Agreed, we want to use broad enough language in all aspects of the standard to make sure that we are not forcing any applicant to require two suits if they want to join both clubs.

Is there a way we can ask someone 501st if there's going to be any problems approving the flightsuit if we have it fitting loosely as it does on Jyn? That's the only point I see that might cause an approval problem.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree with this sentiment. I think having a range also helps because photos can be tricky with the lighting. I know my suit photographs anywhere from regular-grey through black-black depending on lighting.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
I agree with this sentiment. I think having a range also helps because photos can be tricky with the lighting.

You mean like Jyn's entire Jedha costume? Laughing Damn lighting and post edits! At least we only have one piece to worry about here...

To keep track of where we're at, I'm adding the parts we've discussed the the first page as sort of a running progress, if anyone sees any part of what we've covered they'd like to address, please bring it up!

Sleeves

I think this section was pretty good, I think we just need to specify a general cuff measurement, and based on the standard 2" belt, it looks to be about that wide in pictures. Thoughts?

• Sleeves are made in two pieces, and have approx. 2" wide wrist cuffs. Cuffs secured with pointed tab closure approx 1.75" wide.
  • There is a silver Imperial Cog patch on both shoulders. Imprinted PVC or rubber like material is recommended.
  • Left sleeve has a double bellow style upper arm pocket with a pointed double tab closure, just below the cog emblem.
  • Left sleeve has a comm pad pocket on the forearm.
  • Right sleeve has no pockets.

I upped the contrast on this picture, the pics from the toy show the pointed tab closure well, this screen shot backs it up, and for later, look at this strap connecting the armor to the belt!

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mean like Jyn's entire Jedha costume? Laughing Damn lighting and post edits! At least we only have one piece to worry about here...

Yeah. I appreciate how, in the Jedha/Scarif costume, there's some range in colors. I think it makes it more fair for the applicants. I know there is stuff that I submitted on that costume that, if the standards were narrower, would have gotten dinged because of how it appeared in a photo even though it doesn't look like that in person.

Re the sleeves and cuffs - I admit to eyeballing my sleeve cuffs and trying to get it them to look proportional. I went and checked and they're just under 2", so now I'm mildly impressed with past!me.
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:

and for later, look at this strap connecting the armor to the belt!

!!! Shocked

Huh. I wonder if it's elastic? I'm assuming it's so the armor doesn't bounce/shift if she runs. Or is it stiff, to counteract the weight of the belt boxes on the front???

Anyway, the sleeves part sounds good to me.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think elastic would make the most sense!

• There are approx. 8 rows of topstitching spaced evenly between the center front and the hidden zipper opening, spanning from the neck to the ankles. Stitching continues to inner leg seam.
  • All major flat-felled seams are topstitched with a double row of stitching approx. 1/4" apart.
  • The waistband is approximately half the width of the belt.
  • The back of the suit has a shoulder yoke.
  • Below the yoke, the back of the suit has 2 action pleats on each side, approximately halfway between the center back and the side seams.

I put the topstitching entries together, because I thought it made sense. Is this enough info? Trying to keep it on point... I also don't know if it matters if we should mention that the front shoulder seam is forward, not on top of the shoulder, or that the sleeve cap should sit 3-4" off the shoulder in the fit notes. Too precise? We'll tackle fit next I think, I kind of want to contact the 501st about what they will find acceptable for fit. I think it's important to note that fit be at least relaxed if not oversized.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spaced evenly between the center front and the hidden zipper opening,

This sounds like they thought the zipper was on the side, instead of down the center?

Quote:
  • There are approx. 8 rows of topstitching on each side of the hidden zipper, spanning from the neck to the ankles. Stitching continues to inner leg seam.
  • All major flat-felled seams are topstitched with a double row of stitching approx. 1/4" apart.
  • The waistband is approximately half the width of the belt.
  • The back of the suit has a shoulder yoke.
  • Below the yoke, the back of the suit has 2 action pleats on each side, approximately halfway between the center back and the side seams.

I think maybe, for fit:
  • Fit is relaxed or slightly oversized. The shoulder seam sits forward of the top of the shoulder, and the sleeve caps sit several inches off the shoulders.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:

This sounds like they thought the zipper was on the side, instead of down the center?

No, that was me trying to re-word it without being too wordy, but when they called it a "lapped zipper", that was incorrect so I changed it. So there's the topstitching row around the whole zipper opening, it actually rounds around the bottom of the zipper instead of going straight down from here and the stitched lines go from here to the center front line (which may or may not also be a seam). Is there a better way to word that?

Quote:

I think maybe, for fit:
  • Fit is relaxed or slightly oversized. The shoulder seam sits forward of the top of the shoulder, and the sleeve caps sit several inches off the shoulders.

Sounds good to me!

I threw this together for lighting. Ugg. This is more for a guideline, but what I found was that it was important to make sure the color wasn't so saturated and that it didn't go too light of a gray under harsher lighting conditions. The suit for the toy is way too light in my opinion, but this is just a guide, anyway...

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
No, that was me trying to re-word it without being too wordy, but when they called it a "lapped zipper", that was incorrect so I changed it. So there's the topstitching row around the whole zipper opening, it actually rounds around the bottom of the zipper instead of going straight down from here and the stitched lines go from here to the center front line (which may or may not also be a seam). Is there a better way to word that?

Ah, okay. How about this?

• There are approx. 8 rows of evenly spaced topstitching on each side of the hidden zipper opening, with the innermost row meeting below and outlining the zipper. The other lines of stitching stretch from the neck to the ankles. The outermost row sits approximately at the center front of the leg.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:

• There are approx. 8 rows of evenly spaced topstitching on each side of the hidden zipper opening, with the innermost row meeting below and outlining the zipper. The other lines of stitching stretch from the neck to the ankles. The outermost row sits approximately at the center front of the leg.

Hmm, "other" makes it sound like different stitches. What about...

• There are approx. 8 rows of evenly spaced vertical topstitching on each side of the hidden zipper opening, with the innermost row meeting below and outlining the zipper. The outermost row sits approximately at the center front of the leg. The length of the stitching stretches from the neck to the ankles.

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:

Hmm, "other" makes it sound like different stitches. What about...

• There are approx. 8 rows of evenly spaced vertical topstitching on each side of the hidden zipper opening, with the innermost row meeting below and outlining the zipper. The outermost row sits approximately at the center front of the leg. The length of the stitching stretches from the neck to the ankles.

Sounds good to me!
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think the last thing we need to really address for the flightsuit is this:

• Ankles have elastic casing that sits at the top of the boot.

I'm not even sure about mentioning weathering because I'm not seeing much of anything clearly on the suit

-edit- Whoops, I missed the flat-felled seam mention...

• All major seams are flat-felled in appearance, and topstitched with two lines of stitching approx. 1/4" apart.

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is what we have so far:

Quote:
Imperial Ground Crew Jumpsuit

• One-piece matte faded/soft black or charcoal gray jumpsuit of a cotton-like bottomweight fabric with a centered zipper. All topstitching is done in a beige, light gray or off-white thread.
  • All major seams are flat-felled in appearance, and topstitched with two lines of stitching approx. 1/4" apart.
  • Chest has two large angled pockets that span between mid-armscye, center front topstitching, and waistband, with a matching parallelogram-shaped piece of fabric above the top edge. Pocket has 3 rows of topstitching, parallelogram has 4. Pockets do not have to be functional.
  • Mandarin collar has 4 rows of topstitching, and is tall enough to reach approximately to the base of the skull. Ends are rounded.
  • Collar has a rounded tab closure approx 1.5" wide which secures left over right.
  • Sleeves are made in two pieces, and have approx. 2" wide wrist cuffs. Cuffs secured with pointed tab closure approx 1.75" wide.
  • There is a silver Imperial Cog patch on both shoulders. Imprinted PVC or rubber like material is recommended.
  • Left sleeve has a double bellow style upper arm pocket with a pointed double tab closure, just below the cog emblem.
  • Left sleeve has a comm pad pocket on the forearm.
  • Right sleeve has no pockets.
  • Ankles have elastic casing that sits at the top of the boot.

How do we like this? Any changes to structure? I tried to keep things in an order that made sense; fabric, stitching, body, collar, sleeves, fit. If anyone has any concerns over language, order, or any points to bring up, please do and we'll move on to the next part of the costume in a bit. I'm also going to be posting this up on the 501st discussion on it to find out if they have any questions or concerns regarding what they are approving, also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Standards Development -> Rebel Supporters New Standard Proposals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: