Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=335e965107c3377dba4aa2202e64f3caMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yadsmood's Hoth Trench Trooper Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Yadsmood's Hoth Trench Trooper Build Reply with quote

I am trying to build and get approved a Hoth Trench Trooper for the Hollywood Christmas parade. I’m also building a Hoth Han because they share so many of the same parts, but that is for another build thread.

I have two reference albums I have most of my photo reference in. This one is of only the hat. A lot of it is from an auction on prop store. The other album is for the rest of the costume.

Now to my progress.

Pants

First, I took a pajama pattern and augmented it to make the pants and boy are they comfy. I made them out of cotton twill. We know from the Star Wars Costumes Book that the coat was made out of unlined cotton and from extreme closeups of the hat we know that it was made of twill so I decided to make the pants out of cotton twill as seen below:

I will be dying them a tan-ish color.

Gloves

I bought these gloves from Amazon. I have since removed the cuff from the hand of the glove. I then used watered down leather dye to dye the cuff pieces a grey color as seen below:

Coat

I spent this last weekend patterning out the main body of the coat. It is a deceptively detailed pattern. It has quilted shoulders of the coat that sag several inches from the end of the shoulder but the body of the coat is not as proportionally large as the shoulders imply.

I have cut out all of the main pieces in an off white cotton twill (the same I used on the pants). I haven't patterned out the pockets or tailered the sleeves but I will do that as I construct it.

Vest
The vest I started patterning but stopped until I finish the coat so I can accurately size it.

Hat

I spent most of a weekend patterning out the hat and my god sewing this hat sucks. I am building two of them (one for me and one for a friend) and then I hope I never have to sew one again. I am going to do the hats last, after I cut the rest of the garments out of the twill cotton. I'll try to take some in progress pictures when I do the final ones.

Backpack
I found this vintage metal backpack frame that other people have built theirs using:

It will need some work but is a great place to start.

Goggles
I bought these Bolle Mojo Ski Goggles on ebay. Ill be painting them white, and replacing the strap with a white one, and replacing the black foam padding with white foam.

Greeblies
I bought unfinished versions of the greeblies from a base members etsy shop here. I'll be finishing and painting them myself.
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing more progress! Very Happy

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden, Yavin Operations Officer
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Emily!

Updates:

I spent a lot of time trying to get the pants and quilted shoulder pieces dyed to the correct colors. The pants I had to dye twice because the color wasn’t intense enough. I did two soaks of 8 quarts of water, and 3 tablespoons of taupe RIT dye for 15 minutes each.

For the quilted shoulder pieces, I messed up the dying first time, had to throw away fabric, and recut new ones. I ended up getting the color right on the second time. I used 8 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons of taupe RIT dye, and 1 tablespoon of lemon yellow RIT dye for 15 minutes. I spent a couple hours quilting the fabric to get what you see below.

I picked up the fake suede and faux leather I am going to use for my shoes/gaiters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: