Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eef64792fbf5de3348ff785282d08927Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EU Jedi Relnex Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Darklighter (Ben Buchmiller)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: EU Jedi Relnex Style Reply with quote

This past Christmas (2018) I got myself Jedi robes from jedirobeamerica. I was super excited and should have known better than my really tall frame would make the robes too short on me.

As you can see above the outer or over tunic is way too short. Also the faux leather tabbards look really tacky, like garbage bags. Not the quality standard I hold myself to.

The robes were too big in all the wrong places. I was disappointed and put it all away in the closet. A few months later we were having a Mandalorian Armour Party at my house and my friend Jorj (501st Snowtrooper) was there. I explained my dilemma and he had a great idea to go Star Wars The Old Republic (SWTOR) Jedi.

I got excited again and started looking at Rebel Legion SWTOR Relnex style Jedi CRL’s.

I had pretty much everything required already with my too short Jedi under, inner, outer tunic, Obi, boots, lightsaber, gloves, and robe. The robe needed to be tailored. I got some pants that fit well and only needed to remove the pleats. I also needed a belt that would fit the era.

First thing first I needed to get my robe altered to fit me better. Also to fit more of the era I was shooting for with 3/4 wrap around and short sleeves. Picture above was test fitting with my seamstress (6/6/19).

I used a lot of reference photos to show her what I was shooting for. She adjusted to more of an A-line skirt to fit CRL’s. I picked it up and did a test fit as seen above (6/13/19).

When I got home I threw on everything that I had for this kit, which is almost everything except the belt and accessories (ignore the red lightsaber, I have a green one to use for this kit).

I was not impressed with how it looked on me all together and it needed something more. Weathering! Yes, if was going to be my kit it needed to be weathered as if I actually wore it during the SWTOR time period. So I started with my new black pants which needed to remove the noticeable pleats anyways.

Lots of spray paint (mostly tan and almond colors) mixed with dry sand was used on my pants. I even used a little bit of the butane torch to scorch the pants in a few places. I used a rock to make a more worn appearance as seen in the last image above.

Then I started working with the outer/over tunic as seen above. Mostly used tan and almond spray paints for this mixing in dry sand.

After weathering the outer tunic and my pants it was time to weather my robe. Note to self I also later weathered long-sleeved shirt and gloves to match this weathering application. I started with a dark brown spray paint along the bottom edge of my robe, where it would be closes to the mud and dirt as I walked in it. Also adding vegetation green and black spray paints to the bottom edge.

As seen above I used the spray paints as I went up the robe making the bottom darker and using the lighter colors up closer to the hood. Then I added sand and dirt.

Along the bottom edge as seen above I used an acrylic brown paint to embed more sand and dirt into the robe. This gave the appearance of splash marks along the bottom. I also weathered the inside of my robe along the bottom edge and up at the top where my hood would be mostly down.

Above you can see that the outside of my robe has more weathering than the inside, but that there is also weathering on the inside to be more realistic and practical.

When I was rubbing dirt and rocks across the robe I accidentally tore a hole in the back. So I used my butane torch to darken a few areas and fuse the hole a little bit with the flame.

I retook my photos and was a whole lot more pleased with the weathered look (yes I know my tunic is left over right instead of right over left in these photos). I also needed to get those parts for my belt, that will really bring out my SWTOR look.

Reference back action photo (see above).

Reference front close up photo (see above).

Reference front photo (see above).

Reference Hood photo (see above).

Above are some of the belt boxes I selected for my kit. I have not ordered the Bosch drill bit box yet, but I think it would make a great medpac base on my belt. Notice the 5 black boxes are shipping from China/Hong Kong. Note to self for ordering in the future to look at shipping from location.

Above are a couple of other options for belt accessories including a reference for a Medpac from Legends, courtesy of my friend Kris (Darth Revan).

The belt itself would be a tactical webbed belt with 3D print buckle from in universe JB welded to the face of the webbed belt buckle.

Pouches and boxes will be attached to the webbed belt and the belt itself will be attached to a leather belt stained the color of acorn brown. The webbed belt shouldn’t be visible as it will be surrounded by boxes. The boxes I picked out can be modified later with lights and other gadgets similar to reference photos from SWTOR.

6/15/19: Belt

So my belt boxes came in early this week and I have no idea when my nylon webbed belt will show up, so I went ahead and bought a leather one from Walmart today. I also woke up early this morning and went to Lowe’s when it opened (6 a.m.). I found a raw wide leather tool belt that I could stain acorn brown. I also got some drill bit cases as the belt boxes were quite smaller than I had anticipated and a real first aid kit from Walmart for my medpac.

When I originally looked into a belt I found this (see above) cold cast belt on Etsy, but didn’t really want to drop $260 just for the belt. I’m losely basing my belt off this image and the reference images above for belts in SWTOR.

My next step was to JB weld my in universe belt buckle to my new belt. I also stained the wide leather belt acorn brown

While waiting for the JB Weld to set I spray painted the inside and outside of my belt boxes/cases with Brilliant Aluminum krylon spray paint. I used rivets to secure my boxes/cases to the outer black belt and chicago screws were used to fasten the black belt to the wider brown belt.

I used my first aid kit and took out all the first aid essentials to rivet the box to my belt. Then I put everything back in. I used a fine layer of black spray paint on all my boxes/cases. Then I used a rag with aluminum spray paint to dab off the black splatter. This gave it the effect of worn down weathered metal cases. After this was done I made a template of the medpac symbol and spray painted the case with the color red.

Above is a before and after picture of the weathering applied to this belt.

Weathered SWTOR belt (see above and below).

You probably noticed that the belt is now metal colored as well. I did this when I was thinking about how the etsy belt looked and decided to make my belt also appear all metallic per CRLs instead of brown and black.

Next I put it on for sizing and really liked how it turned out (back view above).

The belt boxes have room for lights or something in the future.

6/14/19 more pictures from yesterday. I submitted this kit last night for SWTOR Relnex style last night. I do have to say that I really have a tall torso when looking at these images. I stand about 6'3" but it isn't just in my tall legs.

Belt front and back view (see above).

Front profile (see above) with hood up.

Front profile (see above) with hands up.

Front profile (see above).

Walking in full kit (see above). Again ignore the red lightsaber, I didn't have my green one on me.

Action Stance (see above).

Youtube Video walking in kit
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: EU Jedi Relnex Style Reply with quote

Update: 6/19/19

There were some questions about the inner tunic being weathered, so when I got home from work I took some additional photos to show the weathering on the sleeves and around the neck. The tan/almond spray paint mixed with sand (dirt from garage floor) was hard to see in my application photos.

Seeing the weathering wasn’t easy to see against the grey concrete, so I brought it inside to get a better shot. The first picture below is the inside of the tunic for a comparison of the weathering on the sleeve. The second picture below shows the weathering around the collar.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Official Member status Reply with quote

Now an official member of the Rebel Legion, Central Base.
Costume Type: Jedi: Formal/Canon

Excited to troop with my green lightsaber and bring smiles to faces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: