About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=39d77a94e8939671fe8089c185b772d0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mirax's Helmet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurntTheMacaroni (Ashley Byram)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Mirax's Helmet Reply with quote

I'm totally thinking this is a pilot question. Since.. well.. Pilots know more about helmets than smugglers do(no offense fellow smuggling brothers and sistas!)

Anywho. I'm attempted the dreaded Mirax helmet of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

But, I'm trying to get ideas on how to make it. I've thought of several ways(some good, some horrible) and was wondering what everyone else thought. My main idea was to make a "mockup"(sorry for the lack of a better word) and then use wonderflex to make the helmet(heat it up and mold it so it takes the shape). But somehow i think that idea sucks. So.. I was hoping i could get some opinions and advice.

I'm trying to do this on a budget, dont want to break the bank(seeing as i STILL dont have an X-wing chestbox.. or costume. I feel a mob forming).

Here are some Photos of the helmet

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm yeah as I recall the Mirax helmet really is mostly a soft helmet.

I would say go with an AN-H-15 or custom, then add pieces to it . Goggles shouldn't be too hard.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. See i thought it was soft also, until i remembered this photos of Booster holding a similar helmet

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... and it's a completely EU character. It would make so much sense (in a world where there are Jedi and ships make sound in space) for it to be mostly soft since it would go with the "Bomber" jacket.

Or... you could acquire the old Ep1 Naboo helmet for the base and try to modify that.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like a soft helmet, with some hard panals on top (from the second pic).

So, find a hat the right general shape, then get some sheet styrene, and heat-gun and cut to shape, and attatch to the soft part.

Then add on the goggles

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you could use a Navy ground crew dome. I don't know the AN number for it. That and some soft mods would give you a darn close model.
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Booster is holding in that pic is the inner liner of a CVC helmet-a M1 tanker helmet. It velcroes into the hard outer shell. The padding is soft enough to help you out a bit, but it is still firm enough that when it's outta the helmet, it is firm enough to hold its shape. The only real mod that might need to be made is to the ear pieces. Keep the original ear cups, but add the two curved things on the top of it. I'll see if I can find some pics.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost go with a regular baseball style hat of the appropriate color and add various styrene pieces to it as previously suggested. You could go get yourself an ANH-15 soft helmet.... but they are hard to find and when they can be found they can range anywhere from $80 and up!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to say a Navy ground crew helmet too. It almost looks like what they use in the hangar on BSG but covered in fabric.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now... I would not say it looks like "fabric".... it's a proper green "plastic" helm with a hat brim on it... it probably only looks fabric like to some of you, cause it's a comic...

I'd use a batters helmet as a base to build up off of... possible wrapping a heavy foam for the shape then fibreglassing (or maybe bondo) over the finished shape...

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having Cobra flashbacks with all of these helmet names! (im slightly helmet clueless).

Originally, when i tried to make it wayyy back when... I used a baseball helmet and covered it in fabric. i liked some things about how it turned out, hated other things. I wasnt sure if i wanted to go that route again. The main issue i had was that the front wasnt rounded.. it kinda goes down at a weird angle

Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is probable that the artist's idea would have been a helmet related to the Rebel Commando helmets seen in ROTJ - and they have fabric brims.

My first thought when I saw that picture was of US Navy flight deck helmets. I have read only a pair of X-wing novels, and none of the comics, so I don't really know, but I get the feeling that a flight deck helmet would be consistent with her setting.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of the Navy Flightdeck helmets you are mentioning? Or a source on where to buy them?

I'm so torn on what i want to do. I can start with a base and build up from that, or try to make it from scratch.

Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google: Carrier Crew for more shots
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Erik's idea looks the closest.

I thought this was interesting:

Also found a circa 1985 used flight deck crew helmet on ebay.

And this one that looks like it could be a bit newer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: