Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=789c4871182646eba35feaac554aa69dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Arena Padme WIP + Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexois ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Arena Padme WIP + Help Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I am in the middle of preparations for Arena Padme, I am currently stuck choosing a shoe.
I do want to make sure everything is as movie accurate as possible, however

I am really not that crafty when it comes to shoes - I am planning to buy it White and stain it/ dye it off white/ivory to match the shinguards (these will be made out of leather as well - for the moment the plan is to use 3mm tooling leather as a base and 1.5mm white leather as outer layer - then stain it so it is ivory - matches the shoe).

Could any of you that done this outfit / is a judge or just wants to pitch in their advice help me with choosing the right shoe as a base, pretty please?

I am lurking on ebay and keep adding stuff to my watchlist.
Here are few shoes I had in mind (again, all of them in white so they will be dyed + sole will be dyed too so it is really all about the shape of the shoe/sole):

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elegant-Women-Low-Cuban-Heels-Round-Toe-Zip-Back-Shoes-Mid-Calf-Riding-Boots/163249108846?var=462472109318
^
2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Womens-Ankle-Boots-Synthetic-Leather-Side-Zip-Oxfords-Fashion-Casuals-Shoes/163258197877?var=462487105771
^ these are quite nice but they are not knee high - but I thought it would not be a problem if i prepared a back panel for shin guards?

3. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Womens-Over-The-Knee-Boots-Thigh-High-Zip-Retro-Faux-Leather-Casual-Shoes/254198501097?var=553571575939
^Bit high, probably would need to alter the length.

4. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Real-Leather-Back-Zipper-Ankle-Boots-Chelsea-Chunky-Heels-Biker-Shoes-SZ/332351959227?var=541353505605

5. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Tassels-Buckle-Low-Block-Heel-Side-Zip-Ankle-Chelsea-Boots-Casual-Shoes/113719969408?var=413854155961

6. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Women-Chunky-Heels-Knight-Riding-Platform-Side-Zip-Comfort-Casual-Simple-Shoes/273532189300?var=572938244692
^Personal favourite boot. I was really close to buying them but what's your opinion?

I'll be updating this thread with my adventure through this costume. I have set myself rather open budget on this, cosplaying Padme was my dream ever since I've seen the movies as a child - so I want to make sure it is as accurate as it can be. My mentor will be helping me with this, especially leatherworking and prop making (I do want to make droid blaster) he is part of 501st and was their armorer for a while (he did say it was 15 years ago and he is marked as inactive now) so I cannot wait to learn from him Smile.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have spent hours and hours researching that costume on this forums and a lot of the threads don't have photos visible anymore, so apologies if I'm asking fro something that has been repeated - chances are I can't see the images anymore or jsut simply there was not enough information / there was outdated standard.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else posted this boot and it looks pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/Brinley-Co-Womens-Vina-Riding/dp/B009DPAMCE/ref=sr_1_137?keywords=beige+leather+riding+boots&qid=1559528047&s=gateway&sr=8-137

As for me, I found white Mossimo boots at Target when I was working on mine and cut the top off so the shinguards would work.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Alexois ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that! I've seen your Arena costume progress and it's absolutely fantastic.

Unfortunately, it's near impossible to find riding shoes like these that ship to UK (UK Amazon stock is different to US Amazon). So I gotta resort to ebay haha!
I did get boots no. 6 in the end. White is quite easy to stain Smile

That's one thing I was confused about - colour.
The standards say Bone White/Ivory but I have seen some people getting accepted with cream/beige as on some reference pictures they do indeed look like they are cream. And then on some pics they do look off-white. That's one thing my mentor pointed out as I was very quick to just buying cream/vanilla leather from the supplier - he said it would be too dark and leather needs to be white but not white-white so off white and then stained and wethered.
I do know that just because someone got accepted with that colour, doesn't neccessarily mean next person would. I suppose I will need to find out with trial and error. Smile
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the tricky part about all this. It would be nice if eventually we had Pantones for acceptable ranges but until we do, posting updates on your thread is best. You can also ask in the Padme group on Facebook. The LCJ's are members there and probably will see your questions there quicker than they would here.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
Alexois ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Thank you for that tip! I had no idea there is a facebook group! I just now applied to join it! Smile
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexois wrote:
Oh! Thank you for that tip! I had no idea there is a facebook group! I just now applied to join it! Smile

I'm one of the moderators. Just added you. Mr. Green

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot number six looks like an excellent choice for a base. Very Happy Very nice.

And the lovely thing about pictures is that they often show different colours depending on lighting conditions, so the legion generally accepts ivory to cream.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Alexois ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lora! I did buy the number 6 in the end.
Waiting for its arrival so I can start the base of the shin guards and test ivory coating on their material. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: