Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b40b172e5aede2b382db54afac2ba230Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Welcome to Endor Base! Feel free to introduce yourself :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Welcome to Endor Base! Feel free to introduce yourself :) Reply with quote

Greetings Endor Base members! It occurred to me that we have almost 100 full members (97 at the present time) and quite a few forum members on top of that. Yet, only a handful of us know one another or participate in Base discussions. So I'd like to take a moment to welcome all of our members; new and old, full and forum only, and give you all an opportunity to just say hello and introduce yourself.

Some Ideas:

* When did you join the Rebel Legion?
    * What part of our base are you from?
    * What inspired you to join?
    * What do you like about being a Rebel Legion member? What does The Rebel Legion mean to you?
    * What sorts of things would you like to see happening in our Base?

------------------------------

My name is Kathy, I'm the current base CO, and I've been a member of the Rebel Legion since 2004. I'd actually never heard of Rebel Legion and was recruited by JedHead through TFN costume and props (my first Star Wars costume was completed in 2002). Over the years I've become addicted to making costumes, with Star Wars being my all time favorite! Making costumes gives me something creative and constructive to do as a hobby (I love learning new construction skills and techniques), and I've also made many great friends throughout the world as well as here at home in Northern California. So for me, the Rebel Legion is about meeting other people with a passion for Star Wars costuming, making friends, learning about new skills while sharing my knowledge with others, and participating in fun events that make use of our costumes. When we get really lucky, we can give back to the community by donating our time and effort toward charity related appearances and put a smile on a few faces Smile

Thoughts For The Year Ahead

As Commanding Officer, I'd like to see our Base membership grow and I think it would be fantastic if more of our members became active and involved. Whether it be by offering ideas or contacts for events, or meeting up at a local convention and volunteering time to help host a Rebel Legion table. If we get enough active members, I'd love to see us doing things like hospital visits or even sign up for local parades some day! But we can't do that without dedicated members Smile

I also think it is important for members of the community to be able to find us. I know that many hard core Star Wars fans and costumers are aware of us, but some are not. I'm hoping we can increase our visibility to the general public in the coming year by:

1) Having fan tables at some of the big local conventions like WonderCon.
2) Building an Endor Base web site
3) Printing Business cards that our members can give out - not only to prospective members but to contacts within the community.
4) Getting more club merchandise like T-shirts, trading cards, and stickers. All of these things help promote our club.

The Rebel Legion is undergoing some changes, and I believe they are all for the better. I think we have to be honest, somehow over the years the Rebel Legion has gotten a bad rap and been seen as a group 'without standards,' a gang of "bathrobe Jedi", a group without any code of conduct or accountability. I think we have all put a great deal of time, effort, money, and skill into making quality Star Wars costumes that we can be proud of! When called upon to volunteer for recent events, we have conducted ourselves in a mature professional manner. So much so that people assume we were hired to do the job. We are not a group of "bathrobe Jedi", but as SiaLan Wezz puts it, we are "designer Jedi!" Our new charter and published standards reinforces this ideal and gives us all a professional level costuming club we can be honored and proud to be a part of Smile And at the end of the day, everyone should have fun being a part of it too.

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. There are quite a few well established Star Wars clubs out there. There is the 501st, Rebel Legion, and TFN Fan Force to name just a few. Because each club is dedicated to a different aspect of Star Wars fandom, it is very common for there to be cross-over in membership. Fans of costuming often like all kinds of costumes, regardless of which club a particular costume happens to fall into. And some people may not be into costuming at all, but we are all Star Wars fans in the end. So it only makes sense to me that all of our groups get along with one another and treat one another with respect. It makes no sense to have a 'this club' versus 'that club' mentality when many of us are members of all of these clubs. We are all united as Star Wars fans and we should celebrate and appreciate what might make each club unique rather than negating them.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, Endorians!

My name is Matt, aka JedHead. According to my profile, I've been part of the Rebel Legion since June 2003 (although it feels like it's been longer). I had my first costume done in 1999 (Luke, ROTJ), in time for the first Star Wars Celebration in Denver.

I am from the San Francisco Bay Area, and currently live just about 15 minutes south of the City. I'm currently the Base Captain of the Bay Area, and the CR of the San Francisco Fan Force. To be honest, I've been part of the Rebel Legion so long that I've forgotten exactly why I joined! I guess it was after seeing the costumers at Celebration I & II that I eventually found out about the 501st and it's sister club. The amount of costumers greatly increased between the two events, and I wanted to be a part of that!

Although the guys in plastic seem cooler costume-wise to most, I've always fancied myself a "good guy" at heart, and my first movie hero I identifed with was Luke Skywalker. Perhaps my nature to root for the underdog was another reason I like being in the RL. Just like in the films, we seem to be always fighting against odds which sometimes seem too big to overcome, but we do!

Like Kathy stated above, I too would like to see our membership grow, with members taking on a variety of costumes. I hope that in a few years, that Endor Base (and the RL in general) will get the recognition it deserves, and emerge triumphant from beneath the shadow of the Empire!

Very Happy

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:

Like Kathy stated above, I too would like to see our membership grow, with members taking on a variety of costumes. I hope that in a few years, that Endor Base (and the RL in general) will get the recognition it deserves, and emerge triumphant from beneath the shadow of the Empire!

Very Happy

I'm glad you mentioned this! I agree, we have yet to tap into the full potential and variety of Hero and creature costumes our base could offer. For example, I think Rebel Troopers and Pilots make a nice compliment to our counterparts in the 501st. Rebel Legion is best known for Jedi, but we are more than Jedi, Padmes and Leias Smile I myself would like to eventually make a Rebel Pilot costume so that Dale won't be alone out there defending San Francisco Wink

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Mother Tusken ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings All

I am Bette AKA Mother Tusken here at Rebel Legion and at the 501st and Mother Palpatine on the Fan Force boards. I live in Visalia which is at the other end of Endor Base (the Tatoonie part) with the Crazy Old Wizard (Barry) and a few cats. I am the CR of the Tulare County FanForce and the Base Captain for this region of Endor Base and the Membership Office.

I made my first Star Wars costume for a friend in 1978. It was Han Solo and not bad considering all I had to go on were a few photos form magazines. I have done a lot of different costumes over the years but I always seem to come back to Star Wars. I had stepped away for awhile but when I returned I found so many people that were interested and wanting to take the time to do the costumes right. I brought Barry into this right after we met several years ago and our friends make jokes about our house being a "sweat shop" for costumes.

I would love to see more people join Rebel Legion and would really love to see more members in our area. I'm hoping that Endor base increases in membership and I think that this coming year will be a good one as we work together.

Bette
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. (Guess I've procrastinated long enough, so I should post here now!)

My name is Pam Simpson. I live in Hilmar, which is in the California central valley about 30 minutes away from Modesto. I made my very first Star Wars costume (a generic Jedi) for Celebration II, and I've gotten more and more into costuming ever since. I am very active in the 501st Legion, often attending several events every month. I am the detachment leader for the 501st Expanded Universe Detachment so a lot of my time is dedicated to answering questions about EU costumes, and I also spend a huge amount of time helping other Twi'lek costumers with their lekku and body paint. My husband, Scott, is a costumer too. He usually wears his clone or scout armor, but he is also working on a Rebel Fleet Trooper costume. Once he finishes that, he's planning to join the RL, also.

Although I have my Mara Jade costume and I'm working on a TK, I have a rather unique situation within my local 501st garrison. The guys know that I prefer portraying a goodguy, so they often allow me to wear my Aayla or Jedi costumes to our local 501st events. Sometimes those costumes are even requested, and I get to play the Jedi among the Imperials. We joke that I'm the designated target, which is fine with me.

I joined the Rebel Legion a couple years ago with my Twi'lek costumes, but I can't really consider myself very active in the group since there are very few RL events in my area. I check the RL boards at least several times a week, but I rarely write anything. (That's true of the 501st boards, too... I'm just not very talkative when I visit forums.) Sometimes I think I'm spreading myself a bit too thin, trying to keep up with so many different groups... but that's what happens when you have a lot of different interests!

If anyone ever needs to contact me, please feel free to do so. I prefer email over PM's, but I check my PM's regularly, too. (My email address is Mitji@aol.com)

Happy costuming!

Pam :-)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Tusken wrote:
our friends make jokes about our house being a "sweat shop" for costumes.

Haha - this made me laugh. My husband calls my sewing room my "sweat shop."

Pam Simpson wrote:

I joined the Rebel Legion a couple years ago with my Twi'lek costumes, but I can't really consider myself very active in the group since there are very few RL events in my area.

Pam - It's great to hear you have the opportunity to troop with your local Garrison as a Rebel.

I do understand it can be problematic to find "Rebel Legion" events in the Valley when there are so few rebels to organize an event. It is great when there are areas where the 501st will allow Rebel Legion members to participate in appropriate events. However, I do understand if some Garrisons prefer for us to kind of get our own gigs or 'stand on our own two feet'. It is hard to do though, when there are so few of us and I feel that in Northern California in particular... we do not have the network of contacts that the 501st has developed. Essentially, the 501st is the default contact for "Star Wars Costumes." I'm open to suggestions as to how we can have the Rebel Legion become more of a known entity. I figure business cards and a web site are just a start though, and it's hard to play catch up when the 501st has such an established presence and we are essentially 'confused' as being them by the general public.

Perhaps if more Rebels are recruited in the Valley we can start to have a more organized effort there as well Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
dbuck (david buckley)
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say hi to everyone, especially those who I met at Wondercon on Saturday. It was my first time out and about in my RL costume, and I had a great time.
Considering that some time ago when I wore the 501st white armour for the first time (other than fittings and testings) I was in it for over 9 hours, the pilot costume was a cake-walk. I also liked being able to sit. And eat. And go to the restroom without it taking twenty minutes.
This whole RL thing for me started after my work's 06 halloween day at work (we get fairly elaborate) I realized going through the costumes the next year to raise money for the 07 halloween, that I was ONLY hundreds of dollars and hours of work away from a really good x-wing pilot costume. Research has always been a strength of mine, so many weeks later I was ready and submitted my info. Even since then, only a short month ago or so, I've already improved it, and have more work ahead of me. I even had something waiting for me in the mail when I got home from Wondercon.
My main hobby is Civil War reenacting, which takes up a lot of my time, and it's not a cheap hobby, but I don't ask the wife about her miriad of Civil War dresses, and she does not question the appearance of mystery Star Wars items.
Fortunately people who reenact the Civil War are not the "the south will rise again" kind of idiot. (well, not those I hang with but I'm sure they are there) We are there for the public. Without them we're period campers in weird clothes pretending to be soldiers. With them there, we are living historians, educating the public about the life of a soldier. I am so used to cameras pointing my way that I rarely see them. We also pose a lot with people, and in period photos people did not smile, so we emulate that. (we think it was because exposures took so long, 4-6 seconds, that people didn't think they could hold that pose) I actually have a hard time smiling now in pictures.
For my first time as a member if the RL, I helped watch over the table for a while, and had fun greeting people. The difference is at a CW event, you usually have to convince someone to come on over, as they don't wish to disturb you, whereas at the Wondercon table they know they're supposed to talk to you, they just want to know what you're representing. I handed out lots of cards and info, and talked costumes. I gave one fellow really detailed info on rebel pilot research, as that's what he wants to do, and posed for lots of pictures. (not as many as slave Leia did, but I can understand that) I failed miserably with the raffle, though, I could get no one to part with any greenbacks.
But the best part was meeting the members of the RL. As I expected, everyone was extremely welcoming.
The following is a link to my flickr photos for anyone who wishes to look. There's all sorts of stuff there, most of it of course CW, but alas, no Wondercon pics. I took a couple, but nothing worth posting. But those halloween pics I mentioned are in there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8442582@N03/sets/
It was discussed earlier as to how to pass on info to the public regarding the RL. Sorry, I have no real ability to help here. Getting the word out for appearances at parties and such is tough. The 501st has been doing it longer, and let's face it, it's pretty cool to have stormtroopers or Darth show up at a party. It would be nice if all sorts of Star Wars characters showed up at events, like a Leia and a Luke along the the Vaders. I joined the 501st a while ago, but I didn't know the RL existed until not so long ago. So we have our work cut out for us to get the recognition out into the public eye. Get the RL banner attached to effective websites. Put fliers up at party supply stores. WE DO APPEARANCES AND FOR FREE I can't really think of some way to get some press coverage. Oh well.
Rambling now over. Once again, I enjoyed Wondercon and wish I could have stayed longer.
If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

David
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great meeting you at WonderCon dbuck! Ah, it seems you found a positive side to trooping as a Rebel at a convention... comfort and ease of getting around.

Well, don't feel badly for not getting any raffle sign-ups. It was just as important to give a new prospective member tips on putting together an X-wing costume. As far as public awareness goes, I suppose having the table there was a step. And quite a few of us were approached for interviews that weekend.

Ooohhh - your wife has Civil war gowns? I spent a good part of November & December working on an 1850's (well, maybe early 1860's) silk day dress. I have to finish the trim on the bodice and sew the skirt. The underpinnings took quite a while and I tried within reason to make it fairly period accurate based on my crash-course research (but I refused to hand sew it!)

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Quinlan Vos (Myke Soler)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello RL,
My name is Myke Soler. I'm from Sacramento, CA. I have been a fan of Star Wars since it hit the big screens. As I grew up, my mom made sure I had every toy available & started costuming @ Halloween as C-3PO, Chewie, & Stormies. From there, I turned to GI Joes + explosives (couldn't bring myself to destroy the SW toys). Sadly though, in the mid '80's, my parents split up & had a garage sale so I decided to help(yes, I sold the lot). I didn't start collecting again till SWEP1 came out. I was always into the EU side of the fandom, by then DarkHorse Comics had a few great series to fall into with new heroes & villans. Even though growing up with the original trilogy, I could never find my place (imp or reb). Then I started reading about Quinlan Vos, instantly I found my niche in the timeline. After AOTC, I finished my Vos costume & wore it for the first time @ SacCon. The style I wear is from the Pre-Clone Wars era (see Darkness & Rites of Passage). I'm currently working on his Sith Assassin & Infiltrator appearance. Hopefully, by July I'll be fully done w/ 1 or the other + an other well known EU jedi that is also a part of Legacy. I'm a member here (forums only), Rouge 20 for the Sacramento Valley Rouge Force. I'm also into collecting figs. I like to recreate scenes with them, & eventually make lil movies throughout the saga (kinda like Robot Chicken, just w/out the comedy- well some).
I have posted pics of events & my collection on my myspace:
www.myspace.com/darthrelos (or search for jedi diver).
Well, it's time to get back to wk.
May the Force Be With You. Always
P.S. I enjoyed meeting all the RL's I meet @ WonderCon on Sat.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Myke - welcome to the Endor Base forums Smile It sounds like you have a lot of new variations of the Quinlan Vos costume to work on! It will be fantastic to have you join us when you are done. In the mean time take advantage of the message boards - especially the Jedi costuming. Hopefully our members can offer tips and advise along the way if you need any or want to get helpful feedback on your progress.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Master Mina (Robin Parker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Soon to be Part of the TEAM...SQUEE Reply with quote

*When did you join the Rebel Legion? Today, April 29th, 2008

* What part of our base are you from? Hmmmm, San Francisco area???

* What inspired you to join? To be with like kind Geeks that LOVE the world of Star Wars and love to give back to society.

* What do you like about being a Rebel Legion member? What does The Rebel Legion mean to you? I don't know yet, I just joined. I'm hoping to have a butt load of fun and meet new geeky friends.

* What sorts of things would you like to see happening in our Base? I'll have to get back on that question. A presence at various Cons and other events is the first thing that comes to mind, so that we can spread the Star Wars love.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Introducing Myself Reply with quote

I was so excited about posting that I forgot to mention my name.

My real name is Robin Parker. I'm from the Bay Area, Contra Costa County area. I've been a Hyperspace member for three years now and am a well known blogger on Star Wars.com (And, I will be writing blogs about the RL for publicity purposes, of course). Laughing

My Hyperspace name is Mina Cora Skywalker. Most bloggers know me as the QUEEN (I'll explain that later...LOL). I joined the RL so that I could start participating in events and to make more Star Wars friends. I am good friends with about 25 bloggers, which we make efforts to meet a few times during the year. I'm a newbie, so be gentle with me. Kathy Dee has been patient and wonderful. She's answered all my questions and even helped make sure I had quality costume photos to submit with my application. Thanks for all your help, Kathy. bow

I guess that's it for now. I'm patiently waiting for my application to be...APPROVED. Amadalia

TTFN GEEKS Ben
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, Robin joined! I guess you submitted your photos and we are now awaiting for your full membership to be approved? Your Jedi ensemble looked great at WonderCon, so I'm sure you'll have your photo added to our database in no time.

This is Robin's costume:

http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/wondercon2008/rebellegionphotoshoot?p=62&n=1&m=20&c=5&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heehee, yup I've submitted my application TODAY...SQUEE. Surprised

I just sent you an email...and it looks like your work email addy so you might not get it until tomorrow.

Now, it's just sit and wait...patiently...for my APPROVAL...LMAO.

Thanks for the welcome, Kathy!! Thumbs up
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have the patience of a Jedi now, my Master... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: