Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=532d4342c79c97d93e98ba1da9560fc3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Costume Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg149 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cosplay Sky Strikeout Reply with quote

Dayspringer wrote:
My experience with Cosplaysky is a complete bust. I ordered a "custom" Imperial Officer Uniform, the only thing I asked to be customized was the tunic length, and after 3 attempts it was still too short. Evidently 30 inches(77 cm) is not a measurement they have in China. I ended up missing out on trooping at both C2E2 and Celebration because of 4 months of back and forth. Order custom pieces from them at your peril.

Well, that just about seals it... Mad
Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also worth reaching out to your local base. A lot of Bases have folks who are happy to help folks learn costuming skills. I am not sure how active the base is in your area, but I know there is a super active saber guild temple an hour from you, so there is probably a fair amount of Rebel Legion activity as well.

Alpha Base BMO
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Marvel Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimwalker wrote:
The tutorials make a lot more sense once you’re actually in process, and Jedi tunics are actually a pretty good project to develop some basic sewing skills.

So: go here, print these patterns at Kinkos— http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82924

Get a good pair of fabric scissors (that will never touch paper) and a box of straight pins. A fabric tape measure is also your best friend.

Go to JoAnn’s and ask for patternmaking paper. It’s a lightweight synthetic fabric with 1” grid preprinted that you can lay over your printouts and trace them on. It’s great for when you know you need to add an inch or take off an inch...start tracing, then at some point slide your paper in a given direction and keep going.

Get some cheap bedsheets, cut out the pieces, sew them together, try them on, note what doesn’t fit, and make adjustments. Once you have the patterns where you like them, then you can get some fabric worth caring about.

Look up YouTube videos on how to do various seams. The amount of lightbulbs that can come on just by “show, don’t tell” is astonishing.

Feel free to message me privately if anything in the tutorials doesn’t make sense or you can’t understand. I’ve been elbow deep in them for a couple of months and I can think of a few places that were tricky to try and figure out what they were saying, but nothing turned out too badly.

Thank you for the advice...and I'll keep you on speed-dial
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
It is also worth reaching out to your local base. A lot of Bases have folks who are happy to help folks learn costuming skills. I am not sure how active the base is in your area, but I know there is a super active saber guild temple an hour from you, so there is probably a fair amount of Rebel Legion activity as well.

I know Devaron Base is new. I really want to check out the SG nearby but my schedule is not conducive to the hour-long drive down the NJ Parkway and getting up in the morning to teach. Sad Maybe over the summer.
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far far away outfitters? good?

undertunic dickies, approved?
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrg149 wrote:

Here is my experience with far far away outfitters: construction quality was good, and the fit on their custom stuff was good. The fabric (brushed microfiber) isn't really a recommended textile, and you have to be really careful about storage and transport (since it can't be ironed) but it seems to pass more often than not.

Dickies for undertunics are definitely fine.

Alpha Base BMO
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
mrg149 wrote:

Here is my experience with far far away outfitters: construction quality was good, and the fit on their custom stuff was good. The fabric (brushed microfiber) isn't really a recommended textile, and you have to be really careful about storage and transport (since it can't be ironed) but it seems to pass more often than not.

Dickies for undertunics are definitely fine.

what vendor do you like better?
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would these pass muster?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011KP1PAW/?coliid=I27MRT5MTL68I5&colid=12291NHZU1MUC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EYSYTU/?coliid=I394GTVRUU8QQQ&colid=12291NHZU1MUC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
– Yoda
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they WOULD be accepted for generic jedi.

but they come with more of a warning than a recommendation LOL
the quality is just not really on par with other vendors.

that belt is a sort of stamped sheet vinyl. it's basically plastic.
I had this same belt but it fell apart on me.
I saved the button studs and buckle, but I threw the rest away.

it also came c/w those same pouches. the pouches are made of urethane foam.
you can see the hinges and belt clip are attached to the foam with screws...
..but in my case the foam was not dense enough to actually "catch" the screws.
so the screws tore out leaving huge holes behind. they didn't last a single troop.

(also, the paint application is not very even, so the color of the foam can show through the paint...
I believe, in certain cases, the judges have asked for these to be repainted -- it sort of depends on the luck of the draw)

so Yes! they can be accepted for generic jedi ... but I can't actually recommend them (from past experience).

-===-

IMO this is the best 'bang-for-your-buck' jedi belt from a commercial vendor.
I have two of them (anakin and obi-wan) -- these are accurate enough to be accepted for Face Characters (not just "generic jedi").

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Obi-Wan-Jedi-Belt/173380090871

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Anakin-Jedi-Belt/173836082743

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd start simple and picked up some 3D printed food capsules for my costume (gotta start somewhere). After some sanding and priming I hand painted them Testors Flat Aluminum. Here is the question. Would anyone suggest some weathering or should I just hit them with some clear satin coat and call them done? I figured for a generic Jedi, only 1 color would be ok, right?
– Yoda
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one set of 4–in silver, gold, copper, or pewter. No stipulation about more than one color.
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My finished results.

– Yoda
Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look good to me!

Alpha Base BMO
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got very excited about this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/587988984/obi-wan-kenobi-inspired-robe-set-jedi?ref=shop_home_active_12&crt=1

I messaged the seller to see if it would meet RL standards and hope it comes back a yes...but it looks legit. I'd just have to add the other required pieces to take it to completion!

EDIT: still waiting to hear back from the seller. Can anyone tell me if they think this would pass inspection? I'd hate to order this only to have it rejected.
– Yoda
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. I received my Jedi Belt today from one of the Amazon sellers, costumebase. I picked up the set with all the parts: Belt, pouches (foam and not great but doable) & capsules all in one. The belt itself rivals the Galaxy's Edge belt and fits decent. So, not a bad haul!

Are there any standard edits made to uniform pieces to keep one looking spiffy? I know velcro is a favorite for tabards…any other spots?
– Yoda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: