Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c636c677f9311b224e19d163f219b143Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Belt Crafting Brainstorming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Belt Crafting Brainstorming Reply with quote

So, I got a bug in my ear that I wanted to take a stab at making an OWK belt myself, and so I stopped by Tandy leather and got some belt stock, rivets, and Chicago studs.

The clerk suggested that I use the two remaining Chicago studs out of the 10-pack as the closure, punching holes to fit the posts and then cutting slits to allow the ball of the stud to pass through.

As shown here, the original belt closure is covered by a wrap using 4 bronze rivets, so I got a pack of those to spare as well.

I have also been pondering how to attach the secondary belt, and I think I could simply rivet the ends to the inner belt such that they'll be covered by the wrap.

Penny for anyone's thoughts.

(Not to scale =P)
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ this would definitely work.

but it would not be very 'adjustable'. if you ever need to tighten your belt by an inch or two then the tail end of the wide belt-strap would stick out past the belt-keeper.

the movie belts had nothing on the wide belt at all, to keep it together. it was all held in place by the narrow belt, which wrapped around the back in 1 piece (like a normal belt), and fastened at the front with a "functional" buckle at the front/center (like a normal belt).

ie: the "wide" belt is just a leather wrap, with nothing at all to keep it fastened.. the "narrow" belt is a fully functional belt, which serves to hold it all together. (if that makes any sense).

-=====-

for a "fully functional" front buckle, check here:

http://saberbelt.com/ObiBuckle.htm

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realize that OWK had a functional buckle! That makes much more sense from both an assembly and wearability standpoint. The replicas I had seen online seemed to be a nonfunctional widget, and so I was trying to figure out how to make a two-layer belt that would come together...somehow...in the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: