About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8ee8e901993a89f8772215925550526dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Flak Vests Interest Thread.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1969LZ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Flak Vests Interest Thread. Reply with quote

Hello Rebels,

I am tooling up to produce some flak-vests for a fan film I am involved in along with the ejection straps, belt and leg flare "holster". If anybody's interested please let me know by posting here. The flak vest is made out of sports nylon as accurately as references are available. I am trying to get these to look as screen acurate as possible as I am anal-retentive for details. I am just waiting on a response in regards to the insertion clasps/locks before I kick this off. I am trying to get a good group price to keep the cost low. If you have any questions PM me. If anybody has a GOOD source for insertion clasps please let me know as I am getting tired of waiting on my vendor. I expect to have the prototype of the flak vest done by the end of the week and will post the photos then, the ejection straps, belt and leg flare holster will follow. I'm not sure what the final price will be just yet. Just a note to let you know a little bit about me: I am a NEW member, I served over 12 years in the USMC Air-Wing as a parachute-rigger and fabricator, I own my own fabricating business and have been actively involved in producing fan films for the past few years.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your geographic location? I have a bunch of possible pilots in SoCal that may be interested.

atmtrooper ()

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME ABOARD
sound good cant wait to see pictures
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the vest... but everything else sounds good...
1969LZ ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My geographical location is The Great State of Texas. As stated before, I should have the prototype done by weeks end. Pending the film crews approval, production should begin in earnest next week. I know for a fact I will have a few extras available since I have had to purchase my materials in bulk quantities to keep production costs as low as possible. The film needs 6 of these flak vests and I should have 4 left over.
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on price and craftsmanship, I'd be interested in a vest.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tandy purse clasp is a good substitute for the insertion locks. The only drawback is they are smaller than the ones onscreen.

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=11507-00

Were you able to find the non-rip stop nylon? I know several costumers working on this piece have said it's hard to find the regular weave nylon without the rip-stop lines in it.

Ed, do you want to be removed from my list? No big deal, just need to know. Smile
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dependant on price and pix I would like one of these.

This is the one part of the costume that I am not confident making myself (because of the fabric and all the ribs).

Thanks!
Facebook
Twitter: AuroraLee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vladric_Yavin (Devin)
Fallen Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cprav ... I'm not wanting to make this part of the costume if I don't have to.

I'd be interested too ... dependng on the price
1969LZ ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna,

Thank you very much for your assistance with the insertion locks! Tandy will be my C-plan if my other two vendor's don't work out. As for the non-rip-stop nylon, I have a choice of two nylons (actually three) from two different vendors. I have looked them both over very carefully and in my humble opinion (and experience), the only difference between Company A's and Company B's product is the cost and availability. The film/prop budget is capped, so I am doing everything I can to keep the cost on my end ultra low for these guys. Again, thank you very much for your assistance Donna.

1969LZ
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. As you can see, this is an item that is in demand so the more people we have who can supply the flak vests then the more pilots we can recruit. Very Happy

I'm only one person who is very slow due to home life issues, so as much as I would love to make them for everyone I can only do so much. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and appreciate the assistance. I will be posting the information I have on the flak-vest here shortly as to what the cost I am experiencing. I thought my little film crew was about to drop dead when they saw how much I was needing to make the 6 they need. I don't think they really knew the true costs associated with materials to produce one flak-vest. Realism/accuracy costs money. I can't say it enough Donna, thank you for your help.
1969LZ ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent most of the morning getting the final figures, or as close to it, for the cost of these flak-vests (my cost) which I have broken down for you below. Some of you have shown interest in picking up the 4 extra’s depending on the cost (to include pictures). We did research to see if it was easier for us to buy some that were already made and found prices to be all over the map. The lowest was $70 and it looked like it came out of a Cracker-Jack box, the high was a little over $150 and the details/craftsmanship was acceptable. The “happy medium” was between $90 to $100. This is probably what I will be looking at. As soon as the prototype is completed I will post the pictures for you to see.

Here’s the breakdown for the cost of materials (my cost). All prices have been rounded (only penny’s up) and include the cost for materials, taxes and shipping to build one flak-vest. The only difference in costs will be between Vendors A, B, and C’s insertion locks. Vendor C will be the Tandy Leather’s “purse clasp” that most people are using.

Vendor A
Nylon Material-$17.00
1” nylon webbing-$2.15
2” white elastic-$2.00
Tubing-$7.00
Insertion Locks/Hardware: Vendor A-$15.00, Vendor B-$13 to $15, Vendor C-$8.00
Leather-$2.15
Quality Thread-N/A (my expense)

Total: Vendor A-$45.30 Vendor B-$43.30-$45.30 Vendor C-$38.30

As you can see, the real price difference lies in the cost of the metal hardware. I want my guys to be happy with the product and realism/accuracy is a must, but if a substitute could be used that would help keep the cost down and still have a somewhat authentic look that is acceptable to them, I will have to do that.

I will also let you know about the ejection straps, belt and leg flare holster as I begin work on them next week.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice to have someone else making items for Pilot costumes. Very Happy

With our costuming project going on in So Cal, we will need mulitiple people to help with the flak vests, so we don't end up overwhelming any single person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
atmtrooper ()

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone making helmets ???

Please pm me if you know a good source

sorry a little of topic but a pilots not a pilot with out his helmet Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: