About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=489c6371751661768bb903e950bf1f00Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blaster / Prop Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s allot of money for a blaster when it can be made... just as good, and for less money. Those kind of blasters will only work if you have a solid holster which allot of people just don't have. I still think the air soft is probably the best way to go unless you have a real holster. The blasters from MR, or the onesthat Unique canes sells, or even the ones that are scratch built from replica Broomhandle Mausers are just too much weight for the cheaper holsters to handle. Those holsters are better off with resin or modified toy DL-44's from the store.

I really encourage people to make it from scratch.... it is a real conversational piece when your trooping. Not to mention making costumes is what and who we are all about in the RL.

Bob
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, those Unique Cane blasters are heavy. Several of my Base member have them. Whoa, those replicas you linked to are heavy, too. 3.5 pounds.

I like my metal airsoft Mauser. It definitely has a more real look and feel to it than the Hasbro toy versions, without the weight of the resin or Denix version.

Between the flash hider and the lead weights that came in the grip, it has a decent balance to it.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong though, I love a heavy blaster.... mine are all heavy. I however built mine from the replica Mausers. The only reason I went the route I did, is because I have a scratch built holster that can handle it... and at the time there was no other decent alternative.

You can get the same look I get with allot less weight with what is out there nowadays.

Bob
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get my ROTJ (bunker) DL-44 finished. I was going to go the Airsoft route, but that dang selector bugs me toooooo much. So replica Mauser it is! Then i just need to fabricate the scope!

"Never tell me the odds."
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerftheherder wrote:
I can't wait to get my ROTJ (bunker) DL-44 finished. I was going to go the Airsoft route, but that dang selector bugs me toooooo much. So replica Mauser it is! Then i just need to fabricate the scope!

Yeah I got an Air soft I am going to monkey with someday. Not really into Prop building though. Not enough Patience. I may try and make the ESB with it maybe. I did not want to use an ESB there is too much of a difference in the shape of the Scope and how it sits higher and all. I wanted the ROTJ so I could register my Costume with the right blaster so I ordered one in April. The guy had some Health issue so it has taken a while and I will get it very soon. It will be all Painted and weathered.
Its worth the high price I paid I guess since it will be completely done, but ended up costing more them my Finished E-11. That would be the last piece of the puzzle for me, but the standards changed and I have to make a new pair of pants. Anyway I can not wait for my ROTJ blaster and I will be posting a pic of that along with my entire Holster and belt set up. I was going to wait until everything was done but my pants have to be made now. I will have it for Halloween though.

Last edited by STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ) on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Col-Mas (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a general question. I'm making a DL-44 to go with my X-wing costume. I'm using a metal Airsoft Mauser replica, and a conversion kit that includes the scope and muzzle brake. The barrel seems to be too long. I'm wondering how much I should take off. What should the overall length be for a DL-44?

thanks
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

The barrel is about 5.5 inches for a DL-44. That is including the flash suppressor Total length is about 12.5 inches from hammer to tip of the flash suppressor.

Phoenix 17
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the kit from Blast Tech? That's what I have.

The barrel is tapered, so you're going to need to cut it down to about 2" from the seam where the two pieces meet. Then the flash hider can slide far enough so the back of it will sit flush around the diameter of the barrel.

The back of my flash hider is about 5/8" from the seam, yours could differ a bit, depending on the tolerances of the different manufacturers of the guns, and if you got a Blast Tech kit or not. You can't really see my seam since I filled it in, though I can see a slight suggestion of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Paint suggestions for painting bowcaster and blaster Reply with quote

I am new to the forum so forgive me if I missed this somewhere on here but I looked and couldn't find anything.

I have a toy Kenner plastic bowcaster and blaster that I would to like to paint to match to the correct colors. Right now they are gray and ugly orange colors (I am sure you guys know which toys I am talking about). Going for colors in the classic triology (new hope) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of the exact right color to buy (even a brand if you have one that worked well - at hardware store, Joannes or Michaels would be great).

To me, the bowcaster and blaster just look matte black in pics but sometimes I think I see a bit of "metal" color too.

Would a basic black matte work well for both of these? Spray or Hand Paint (I would prefer something that didn't reek too much too so I am thinking hand)? I just would like to get my painting done by this Saturday for Halloween.

Also, on a side note, are toy weapons acceptable if you are going for the Rebel Legion costuming standards? It didn't say under the Wookie section but I am just wondering ....for future reference. Smile I would prefer to build them from scratch but can't afford it right now and I got these toy ones really cheap on Ebay last year.

Any suggestions you have for this noob would be great!

GirlChewie Dance Chewie
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Wookiee no weapon is required except for your fists (which do plenty of damage) but the Hasbro toy bowcaster is way too small. Its designed for children. The real bowcaster was probably based on a Horton crossbow. Quite large.
If you look at some of the other Wookiee threads, you will see that most are scratch-building their bowcaster out of wood (stock), aluminium (bow), and plastic (greeblies).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whether toy weapons are accepted depends partly on their size.

Toy weapons are marketed for kids, so they are often proportioned to be "kid size" and aren't as large as the "real" versions.

The Hasbro Nerf Clone Trooper blaster is only about 2/3" the size it should be, so I don't think those are accepted.

On the other side, some of the Hans carry repainted Hasbro DL-44s, because it's more actual size.

RFTs are also now carrying the Nerf Rebel Blaster, it's only a little undersized, though a blaster is not required. We still like to carry then anyway.

Plastic toy lightsabers are never acceptable though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Smile

I know the toy weapons aren't the size they should be but I am actually closer to kid size than adult size! I am a 5'4" 120 lbs female - even with my padding in my costume I am still a small wookiee. The toy bowcaster I have actually matches my size pretty good. I am thinking a true full sized one would look a bit awkward next to me - more bowcaster than wookiee, you know. Laughing

But I would love to build a bigger scratch one someday which is nicer ...but right now I am stuck with my toy one because no bucks to design a scratch one. I do realize that most of them are build from scratch and I believe they should be. But I am making the best of what I have right now. Smile

I did have alook at some of builders threads, replica prop site, Chewbacca Costuming page - I have had those bookmarked for years and have done lots of reading - but no one really mentioned about the paint choices they made for their bowcasters. Colors, finishing etc. Although one person did mention he used Kryon semi-flat but not the color. Right now I am thinking of Kryon Fusion for Plastic Hammered Finish. It is supposed to create a look of Hammered Metal. I thought that might be an appropriate color and finish.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your size, you could probably pull off a pretty decent "Lumpy".... that would be Chewie's son.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GirlChewie ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know...I would definately be a good Lumpy which is fine with me. I am definately considering that for the future wookie costuming projects. Smile

Oh, I ended up spray painting my toy bowcaster and blaster with Krylon Fusion for Plastic Hammered Finish in Black and it looks really cool! It is not a really dark black - more a darker gray but it has a weird sort of "wrought iron" like finish which adds a cool dimension and sort of a metal look to the weapons. I am pleased with it. I would recommend it for people who do their props and want an "iron" look to them. You can use it on other materials too. I'll post a pic when I get one done.
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Finally got this all done.

My ROTJ Blaster and Holster

Holster from MP Productions
Tools from Corillian Exports
ROTJ Blaster from Wilco Models
Droid caller is real Kobald Flash Tube

Now I just have to update my pants so It can be all official and stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: