Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c9ebc23f8673199f1e82793395b99e00Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP/completed ROTJ Luke Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbm ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briankenobi wrote:
You Luke is great. What did you do for the vest and Tabbards? They look very good.

Why thank you. Smile

Yeah the Vest/Tabbards were a pain in the a**!

I rarely wore them when I first completed my build, because they were just all wrong.

I bought a Museum Replica set, and let me tell you, they were NO REPLICAS! lol

They were jet black, and the obi part was far too thin; you could barely see it sticking out behind the belt.

Here's a photo when I first got it a year ago:

(you can see it's actually DARKER than the shirt)

So I never really wore it. But I LOVE that look he has throughout the movie when he has that on, and the belt over it, like in the Ewok Village scene. So I went back to the drawing board.

I bought Fabric Spray Paint (in dark grey/charcoal/and black) and just began layering it on until the entire vest lightened enough to look better against the black of the shirt.

Here's how it turned out at first:

You can see it lightened up a LOT and even gave it that torn and tattered look that he had in the movie.

BUT, the Obi was still super super thin, as you can barely even see it in that photo. So I went out and picked up some terry cloth fabric from the store, and my tailor made me a quick and simple Obi, which I then sprayed and lightened to the appropriate matching color.

The difference is outstanding:
(I usually tuck the Obi in a smidge more than seen in this photo, but you get the idea)

Side by side you can really see the difference:

It's a bit of a quick and simple fix, and perhaps not so "by the book", but when all put together, it does the part:

Here's a good photo that shows just how wide his Obi is in the movie:
Briankenobi (Brian Pauley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there was a big difference. Great job. I am actually in the process of completely overhauling my ROTJ luke now. What color Terry cloth did you buy? I have a seamstress friend doing the shirt and pants right now but saw a vest/tabbard/obi set on ESTY that looked good. Might be easier to have her just make the set instead of buying it.

I do agree that the belt with the full set looks really good. I love that look.
gbm ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briankenobi wrote:
Yeah there was a big difference. Great job. I am actually in the process of completely overhauling my ROTJ luke now. What color Terry cloth did you buy? I have a seamstress friend doing the shirt and pants right now but saw a vest/tabbard/obi set on ESTY that looked good. Might be easier to have her just make the set instead of buying it.

I do agree that the belt with the full set looks really good. I love that look.

Yeah, most people throw all Luke's looks together into one outfit....he actually only had the glove, vest, belt in the Ewok scene....your average fan might not even realize that.

Either way, yeah that's a badass look for him!

The terry cloth was just plain black. The spray paint help mat it down a bit too.

The only thing you'll want to be sure of is that the vest is a shade lighter than everything else. That's the hardest part. It's like a lightly faded black/dark dark gray.
Oh, and be sure to post some photos I'd love to see.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure will. I always thought the vest/obi/tabard were all the same grayish color. Are you meaning that the vest should be lighter then the obi and the tabard?
gbm ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briankenobi wrote:
Sure will. I always thought the vest/obi/tabard were all the same grayish color. Are you meaning that the vest should be lighter then the obi and the tabard?

Yeah, so we are not confusing terms here, I'll just call it the "vest" and the "waist band" that wraps around it, lol.

Both of those things should be noticeably lighter than the black shirt and the black pants. Not a lot, but enough for when you look at it, they don't all blend into one giant piece of clothing.

Here is a perfect example of TOO much, and JUST RIGHT.

The first photo is when I first lightened it, and I lightened it waaaay too much:

Then I went back and resprayed it with some black and charcoal to darken it. Big difference in these two photos. (and the second and third one is with the new waist part)

Last edited by gbm () on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the coloring looks better on the last picture. I was meaning that all three of those cloth pieces are the same color right?
gbm ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briankenobi wrote:
Yeah the coloring looks better on the last picture. I was meaning that all three of those cloth pieces are the same color right?

Hmmm....You might have yours being made differently than mine, but mine are only two pieces.

It's the vest you slip over the shirt, and then the waist band you velcro around it.

But to answer your question, YES, they should all be the same color.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people attach the tabard to the vest. Could you post or pm me pics of your set up when you get some time? It would help my seamstress as well. Thank you for all the insight already.
gbm ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briankenobi wrote:
I know some people attach the tabard to the vest. Could you post or pm me pics of your set up when you get some time? It would help my seamstress as well. Thank you for all the insight already.

No prob! I will when I have some time later.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the tabards and obi (also called the vest) is lighter than the shirt and pants. But only mildly so, as illustrated. Good job on the second pics/third color arrangement.

And yeah...Luke is modular in ROTJ, but the pieces vary big time scene to scene. I like the tabards and obi look, too, but haven't done that one yet. I call that one sail barge Luke.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Lora Skywalker ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the vest, stole, and obi are all the same color. Smile Very dark grey or faded black.
Only the shirt and pants are true black of his clothing items. (Boots and glove I don't count under clothing here).

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: