About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=95cc0177bfb570c98de184e525b7ed2cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Battle vest OK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FZ001 (José Fiúza)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Battle vest OK? Reply with quote

Could you please tell me if this hunting vest could pass for an RFT BDU? With all due adaptations, of course:

http://www.decathlon.pt/PT/colete-namib-100-caqui-escuro-8584889/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks sort of green on my monitor. Is it supposed to be black? I don't think this has quite the right look, even after you take off the bullet/shotgun shell loops. It looks like it has a zipper and it needs 2 pockets at the top.

It's so much easier to get a BDU shirt and remove the sleeves and collar and stitch around them so the areas won't fray.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks mor like something you might want to use if you are doing a generic smuggler or mercenary type of costume. It would fit will in either of those catagories.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work this vest would require to get it to fit the standard is more than modifying the BDU shirt. There is a ton of stuff that needs to be removed where the BDU only requires the sleeves and collar to be removed.

The BDU shirt is, IMHO, the nicest looking, most accurate, accessible, inexpensive, and easiest to modify part of this costume (except for the pants). Plus, using the BDU shirt as a base for the vest makes you the same as 90+% of the RFTs in Rebel Legion. So if there is an opportunity to do a group photo, we all look "uniform".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, guys. Smile

It's tough being the Rebel Legion costuming pioneer in a country where nothing like has been done so far... Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the reason for these forums, to share the knowledge and resources so that you don't have to do things all by yourself. In the online community there are many people here to help you. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the vest should have a circular neck opening, not a V-neck, which means that you would also have to add to this vest to make it more accurate. Not worth it in my opinion.
FZ001 (José Fiúza)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. This leads me to the next (obvious) question: in Europe where are the best shops to get bona fide BDUs (jacket and pants)? For us the best would be the ones from Spain, our neighboring country.

I'm not saying that there are none in Portugal, it's just that I didn't look hard enough for them (yet) Wink
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ001 wrote:
OK. This leads me to the next (obvious) question: in Europe where are the best shops to get bona fide BDUs (jacket and pants)? For us the best would be the ones from Spain, our neighboring country.

I'm not saying that there are none in Portugal, it's just that I didn't look hard enough for them (yet) Wink

Well, if you can't find a shop you can certainly find them on the internet. I went to a local Army Navy store (a store that sells military surplus items) and got a black BDU shirt and grey BDU pants. If you do a search for a black BDU shirt you'd be able to find a place on the internets I'm sure.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a sticky thread for the RFT Resources in this forum but it looks like it was deleted.

Here is the repost from Sunrider Base:

Quote:
Here is all the information about the RFT costume in one spot.

Helmet
Jimbo from Texas is the person to see for RFT helmet kits. He supplied our squad with over 20 helmets and we love him for all that work. Check out his site at www.tk560.com

The paint we used for the helmet is American Traditions by Valspar and the color is Pewter Gray. We got our paint at Lowe's home improvement store. Make sure to primer the helmet before painting.

Shirt
Navy workshirts are what we used for this project and they are available at most military surplus stores and online at Sportman's Guide and Work Wear Factory Outlet. However, Navy workshirts only go up to a size 17 neck (XL), if you are larger then use a blue oxford business shirt.

We used two shirts, cutting out the back of one to make the bib; see the tutorial http://www.sunriderbase.com/RFT_tutorial/ for instructions.

Vest
A Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) shirt is used to make the black vest. Take off the collar, sleeves, and buttons. We found ours at Out In Style online.

Pants
These are a very specific color called SWAT Gray. The best place to get them online (to make sure of the correct color) is at Barre Army Navy Store online.

Boots
Screen accurate is the East German Jack Boot but these only go up to a Men's size 11 and are very narrow in the foot and calf area. A substitute would be Engineer boots available from any boot/shoe store.

Belt/Buckle/Holster
We had our talented members help us with this project, but you can easily buy a belt blank and a buckle blank at Tandy Leather. Screen accurate is an octagonal buckle but there are oval ones seen in the screen captures of Episode IV.

Some folks have used a drill holster as a substitute holster; but actually the holster is not required for this outfit to meet Rebel Legion standards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: