Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12af6db9c2908db807491213a1350baeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Sabe Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Natalie's Sabe Build Reply with quote

So I've been meaning to document this build since I began it a few months ago but haven't had the chance to actually sit down and do it until today.

Around the end of February, I got a text from a friend asking if I had seen the new "Star Wars: Darth Vader 2" comic yet. I responded I had not. What I got in response immediately prompted me to reach out to a friend who works at a comic book store to send me ALL the pictures available from the comic so I could get started on my build.
This was the photo I got to spark my interest. Surprised

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

Shocked

Although it appears Padme has come back from the dead in this comic, in actuality it is Sabe, disguised as Padme. She ends up working with Vader to hunt down Padme's killer, not realizing it is Vader who killed her. I loved this twist and also what she was wearing so immediately got to work listing all I would need.

End spoiler alert

To start from the top and work my way down, let's start with hair. The hair is styled in Padme's traditional Geonosis style.

Luckily I already have the hairpiece for that from my approved Geonosis looks so I was set with that part.

Next came the cape.

It's white with no visible seams and hits at the knees. It's pretty thickly wrapped around her neck and worn draped pretty low in front over the shoulders. I had just found some beautiful knit fabric in LA for $1/yard and I knew it would be perfect for this so checked that off my list.

Under the cape, Sabe wears a sleeveless, diamond quilted vest with a high (also quilted) collar with top stitching. The vest closes in front and has a gray placket. I wasn't looking forward to the topstitching of all the diamonds but the rest of the vest looked very simple. I had the perfect pattern already in my stash for this as well. I planned on using McCalls M7695. I planned on using View D and omitting the sleeves.

Over the vest, Sabe wears a big, gray obi. There is no visible closures anywhere and in the front, there appears to be what I describe as a front pocket that the obi runs through.

Super simple to make a wide obi and I had gray fabric also in my stash that I planned on using. My plan was to have it close with Velcro in the front and then make a band that the obi would go through to hide the Velcro.

Over the obi, Sabe wears a very wide belt that is worn at the bottom of the obi. Although there are 1-2 frames where the belt is colored brown, the majority of the time, the belt is black. There are 16 frames where the belt is colored black and only 2 where it is brown so I decided to make the belt black. The belt has a very wide, curved silver buckle in front that has a small keeper on either side of the buckle. Worn on the belt are 4 pouches. Three of the pouches are small, square shaped ones with a single flap that has a single snap in the center. The 4th pouch is similar to Luke's Bespin pouch and has a flap but no snap. On the right side of the belt is a black holster. In the holster is a blaster but she never removes it so it was impossible to tell which blaster she was carrying. I was, however, able to find this one shot which shows some detail on the scope of said blaster.

Using that image, and this one, I decided she was carrying a DL-44, based on the scope.

I did not currently own a DL-44 so I reached out to a few of my friends and was referred to this file that was free on Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3962508

I have an amazing friend who just charges me the cost of the PLA for printing so I sent him over the file and he got to work printing it that night.

I had a big shoulder of leather in my stash that hadn't been used and was waiting for the right project and I knew this was the one to use it for since I would need leather for all the belt and holster components. The best part was the leather had been a gift so I would be able to make it for free. I already had the leather dye I would need and the necessary leather tools as well. Mr. Green

The difficult part was the buckle! I searched several times on Amazon and on Tandy and didn't find anything that really looked like what was drawn and I was getting very frustrated. At this point in time, Covid-19 had led to many of the shops in my areas closing (as they should!) and I was unable to visit Tandy to see if perhaps they had one that would even remotely work. I don't know why but I started thinking of Etsy sellers randomly and decided to search there. After less than 20 minutes, I had stumbled across this seller with the perfect size buckle I needed!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/667057858/2-pieces-of-wide-silver-center-bar?ref=yr_purchases

I'm not sure why but it was only sold as a set so I ended up with a spare in case anyone else wants to tackle this costume. Very Happy

Once that was figured out, I continued my research on the the other components of the costume. Under the vest, Sabe wears a black, long sleeved shirt. The interesting design aspect of the shirt is that the shirt is "crinkled/ruffled/scrunched" in texture.

Using a regular knit or the like wouldn't work. I was a bit frustrated when I realized that as I had the PERFECT fabric for this but had used it the previous week to make someone a top and now had no more. Luckily I was in LA that week and stopped at my favorite store and picked up 1/2 yard of 60" wide fabric. Since only the sleeves are visible in this costume, I planned to use the crinkle fabric for the sleeves and a knit already in my stash for the body of the top. Since the vest hides it anyway, it wouldn't make a difference. With that purchase of $5, the material for the shirt was taken care of. I planned on using another pattern that I already had for the top which was Butterick 3383. I've used this pattern for other tops and was familiar with sizing etc and knew it would fit great. I used the 3/4 sleeve View and just planned on adding length to it to make it match.

Sabe wears a pair of black, leather gloves with white cuffs. I purchased these gloves on Amazon for $8.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VG7Z56M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then found some white marine vinyl at JoAnn's and planned on making the cuffs with that.

For pants, Sabe wears fitted gray pants with a seam going down the front and back legs.

Coincidentally, I had a pair of fitted pants I had purchased for Rey and then accidentally purchased again when I forgot I had purchased the first pair. They even had the center and back seams already added and luckily, no knee pads since I had put them away and forgotten about them. All they needed was a wash in gray RIT Dye, also in my stockpile, and I was good to go.

Lastly, black knee high boots that angled down from front to back.

I owned an almost identical pair of boots like this and pulled them out of storage. I had used acrylic paint to make them match Hela's boots but it was easy enough to use some paint remover and return the boots to their original black.

Now that I had figured out and purchased everything I needed (white cotton and batting and Velcro etc I already had in my stash at home), I did what most people do when they have it all ready, I put it in craft area and forgot about them. Razz

When I was put on unemployment due to Covid-19, I decided it was time to get back to work on costumes I had planned but had had no time for. I finished Padme and Cara Dune and this was next on the list.

First off, I worked on the belt. To me, this belt seemed much wider than 2 inches so I made it 3 and that worked really well. Here is the buckle on my leather being used for placement and sizing before I cut it.

While I had originally asked a friend to make the pouches for me, with the lockdown in effect, I couldn't get to her and vice versa so I decided to tackle the pouches myself. I had some experience with them as I had helped my friend make my Jawa bandolier and also my pilot Padme pouches so I was familiar with the basic principles.
I took out some scrap paper and got to work creating a pattern for the 3 pouches first.

Once I was happy with it, I traced out my pattern and then cut it out of my leather.

I made a second pattern for the other pouch and cut it out and was set. Luckily I had snaps already so installed those and dyed it and let them dry overnight. This is the final result and I am SOOOOO pleased with how they came out.

I'm puzzled as to why the one pouch came out darker than the other 3 as I used the exact same leather, tools and coats but ah well. dunno

I guessed on the holster size and made it and attached it since my friend hadn't sent it to me yet and I wanted to finish things.

Here is the belt on. Sorry for the dusty mirror.

It was only after I took these shots that I realized I had the pouches placed incorrectly so I took them off and put them on in the correct order and called it a night on that stuff.

The next day I tackled the shirt. As previously mentioned, I used a pattern I was familiar with and just cut the crinkled fabric for the sleeves.

Since the crinkled fabric was pretty thin, I ended up cutting out sleeves of my black knit and using it as the lining to give it some more backing. I was very pleased with the results. At this point, my gloves had arrived so I made a cuff pattern and when I was happy with it, cut it out of the marine vinyl and added it to the gloves. This was my initial try on with the sleeves (prior to being attached) and gloves and cuffs.

While I had been working on the shirt, I had the pants sitting in a dye bath. I tried them on even though they weren't fully dry yet so forgive the wet splotches in the photo.
I also tried on the boots (prior to me removing the paint from them) with the pants and the obi which I had made and lined with a stiff interfacing.

I was on a role so unfortunately didn't document my making of the vest but here it is complete with the cape and ready to be worn.

With things looking good, I was just waiting on the blaster. It arrived two days ago and in that time I assembled it and put it together. I really do love this blaster and I am glad I now own one for myself.

After that, I did hair and makeup and took my submission photos and sent it in. We'll see what happens. I do love this costume though! It's so comfortable!

In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting costume. It has something of a Rebel Base Command personnel feeling to it. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved. Amadalia

In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on this! I'll have to get a gallery going on the RLGS web site so that others can follow in your footsteps.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: