Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c84e7fd3ded19c87ff0db1f0ad37657cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Clone Wars - Blue and Gold-Swirled Senatorial Gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: The Clone Wars - Blue and Gold-Swirled Senatorial Gown Reply with quote

Hello!

I am doing research for Padme's Gold Swirl Senate gown from The Clone Wars, and am having trouble how to translate and interpret the cartoon to real life. One of my issues is the coat, which I will show several pictures of, and then present my problem:

Below is an image with an ideal length:

Below, you can see the "panels" have depth implying they are not simply seams:

Another image below exemplifying depth in the panels:

Here is an interesting one... there is definitely lots of material there, but I'm curious what that line is.. possibly some seam? I've also highlighted it in the picture right below it to show what lines I mean:

Once again, these panels can't simply be seams because there is material folding over at the hem of the dress:

Another one, this time you can see that the back panel is wider than the side panels:

Another one where you can see a good amount of depth:

Here's another one, but there seems to be no depth in the "flares"... however, this is from season one of TCW and maybe they just didn't include the detail at the time, but I thought it was important to add:

My conclusion is there appears that there is one back panel, and four panels to the side of it... I did my best to draw what the coat would look like opened up and laying flat. Note that the highlight would represent the gold swirls.

My concern stems from the fact that the panels don't start at the waist because there are no visible seams that run down starting from the waist in the cartoon. Paneling in real life wouldn't be possible without seams running from the waist, if this makes sense. Instead, they start at about mid-bum, and the lack of seams running up from each panel is making me hesitant to make these pleats in the first place, and instead interpret it as the coat being full. However, there is a consistency in the pictures of the panels and their sizing, that I even drew above (one middle, four on each side). Hopefully what I'm trying to say here makes some sort of sense!

Here is what my seams would look like ideally - no vertical seams running over the butt, as seen in the cartoon:

But, to make the appearance of evenly spaced "panels" in real life, I would need seams over the butt, which would look like this:

So, I'm troubled - to make pleats, I would need seams... but they don't exist in the cartoon. How should I go about creating these while maintaining accuracy to the cartoon? Could these be godets folding inwards instead of pleats? I think my issue is that I'm not very knowledgeable about sewing since I teach myself as I go, so I'm not sure what I'm doing, lol.

And finally, I have already begun a writeup of the costume, but haven't posted it yet because it requires lots of pictures that I haven't added in the right places yet. I've just started my thread for this costume with this issue for now. I will be sure to post my writeup that includes my thoughts, catches on inconsistencies, etc; but first I wanted to gather some thoughts on the coat paneling!
Tatooine Peasant Padmé (TPM)
Padmé's Hospital Gown (ROTS)
Queen Amidala's Parade Gown (TPM)
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that someone is doing this finally, and love that it's you!! I've looked at it a lot, but never cared to attempt that headpiece haha

For the skirt though, based on how they animate dresses and from other costumes my assumption would be that this would just be a circle skirt that is very wide at the bottom to give the look you're seeing. If there were seams going up the entire skirt to the waist, I think I'd agree with you about panels, but without that you can't really add any details like that.

I personally think a plain circle skirt should give you the correct draping, and be 10000x easier to make haha

Edit: because of budgeting for the show they wouldn't have made the skirt move the way it should for being a simple skirt, that's most likely why the panels always sit exactly the same.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bekah. That definitely looks like a circle skirt in order to produce drape. Baring that in mind, light fabrics would be suitable for this in order to achieve that. Something with like a matt patterned silk/ satin.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bekahsoka wrote:
I love that someone is doing this finally, and love that it's you!! I've looked at it a lot, but never cared to attempt that headpiece haha

For the skirt though, based on how they animate dresses and from other costumes my assumption would be that this would just be a circle skirt that is very wide at the bottom to give the look you're seeing. If there were seams going up the entire skirt to the waist, I think I'd agree with you about panels, but without that you can't really add any details like that.

I personally think a plain circle skirt should give you the correct draping, and be 10000x easier to make haha

Edit: because of budgeting for the show they wouldn't have made the skirt move the way it should for being a simple skirt, that's most likely why the panels always sit exactly the same.

Awww, that's so sweet Bekah, thank you! Amadalia

Hmmm, you make a good point about the animation's consistency due to budgeting. And I also agree that I think it should be a circle skirt to give it a good drape. Like I said and you added on it... since there aren't seams running up, I think it's best to leave it out. Either way, I'll play around with circle skirts a bit to see what I can get! I'm still gonna try to see if I can get panel-looking things without having to make seams all the way up.

And, funny thing about that headpiece. When I was doing endless searching for concept renditions of this costume online, I found this, and I believe it's from the art of the Clone Wars book:

On the bottom right corner, even the concept artist himself said he has no idea how the hair is supposed to work... well, rip.

KittyKat wrote:
I agree with Bekah. That definitely looks like a circle skirt in order to produce drape. Baring that in mind, light fabrics would be suitable for this in order to achieve that. Something with like a matt patterned silk/ satin.

Thanks Kat for your input! I had actually come across a suiting fabric that's on the heavier side for the coat, so hopefully I'll get a nice drape from that. I'm trying to make my interpretation more like the animation, so I'm limiting my fabric choice to be very basic (although, maybe one day I'll consider making a realistic version as well out of some sort of silk dupioni, wouldn't that be lovely!!)
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll jump on that circle-cut train. You may even be looking at flounces (more than one full circle).

If it helps, I've been collecting images of this dress here on the RLGS web site, and here is my staging area for the next time we do an upload.

If it were me, with that headdress, I would make a base out of something like chicken wire, cover it with a soft cloth like felt or microsuede in the color of your hair, and then add the hair extensions and frame bits on top of that.

I'm really excited to see someone do this!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
I'll jump on that circle-cut train. You may even be looking at flounces (more than one full circle).

If it helps, I've been collecting images of this dress here on the RLGS web site, and here is my staging area for the next time we do an upload.

If it were me, with that headdress, I would make a base out of something like chicken wire, cover it with a soft cloth like felt or microsuede in the color of your hair, and then add the hair extensions and frame bits on top of that.

I'm really excited to see someone do this!

Thank you! I've already had a look at the RLGS site, which has been helpful! If needed, I will be glad to add more screenshots. I have access to TCW and went through all the episodes she appeared in wearing this dress and took tons of screenshots, so I'd be happy to provide those.

And yes! I saw your method for making her purple senate gown and that's a really great idea! I might also try using expanding foam and carving it out, as I'm more familiar with this method after having done Amidala's Red Invasion headpiece. I could even utilize both, which I might do because I would want something sturdier than expanding foam for the back panel of the headpiece.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got good screen shots, then please share. Smile We do a raffle each month for people who share references with us.

Also, I will agree with doing this as a full skirt with as few seamlines as possible.
Though I do think a full panel jacket would look cool in real life. Cool Wink
Ah, animation and the lack of seams.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: