Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=43b97b95d2483eac25beeea437c27b14Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lifts/ platforms for wookie!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splaxgubble (Chris Cole)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Lifts/ platforms for wookie!? Reply with quote

Hi all I’m 6ft 5 and obviously need to get to the 7ft mark. This is my first ever wookie build and wanted to know any tips/ ideas how I can gain the rest of the height!
Many thanks in advance Smile
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'4".

On my first Chewie (2005-2012) I used 14" drywall stilts. Drywall stilts have a mechanical ankle mechanism that allows the ankle to flex back and forth with the two springs in the middle functioning as a "righting" mechanism that returns the stilts to a right angle. The tension on the springs can be adjusted.
Drywall stilts are light weight and don't take much time to get used to. Due to having longer legs you can walk very quickly with little effort.
Because of the mechanical linkage between you foot and the stilts foot, with practice you can even step on your tip toes and do small hops.

The big downside to stilts is the proportions and the restricted movement. Although the stilts allow for some ankle movement (forward and backward) they don't duplicate the full range of movement that your own ankle and feet are capable of. Consequently turning is slow and generally even the most experienced stilted Wookiees tend to have a gait that is reminiscent of the Yaegers from Pacific Rim.

Proportion is also an issue. Most Wookiees use some tricks to make it seem like their waist is lower than it actually is (this leads many fans to underestimate where your arse is) and other tricks to make the arms seem longer and proportionally correct. Other tricks like shoulder padding and extra mass in the mask help to create a convincing illusion that you are really as tall as you seem, not just a regular sized person with abnormally long shins.

These issues, combined with seeing several excellent and nimble platform Wookiees in action (Duck and Ryan Ricks) convinced me to go with platforms. on my next Chewie build.

I eventually chose to make a new costume having learned much from subsequent builds. I decided to go with platforms. I initially tried making some out of EPS foam like many have made. Lightweight and nimble, however, I eventually settled on 7" KISS Platform boots. They are about $100 and are pretty comfortable.

The key to pulling off platforms is for them to have a high heel. This gives you more height than a flat platform and also helps make the effect more convincing by shortening your feet and creating a natural slope that, if you do your Wookiee toes at the same angle, makes your feet look proportional, rather than having gigantic Frankenstein feet.

I find I look like the look and the way I move on platforms better than I did in my stilt days; however, I do miss the speed I could walk on my stilts, and for this reason have decided against doing parades anymore as Chewie, as the pace after the halfway point is always just too fast.

Bear in mind that the mask will add a good 2" under most cases as well.
Splaxgubble (Chris Cole)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for getting back so quick! Is it passable to make the length on the trouser leg suit in mesh then have the boots/ raisers covered in mesh hair or does the trouser length need to cover it!? ( hope that makes sense )
tk42116 (Aaron Darling)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splaxgubble wrote:
Thank you for getting back so quick! Is it passable to make the length on the trouser leg suit in mesh then have the boots/ raisers covered in mesh hair or does the trouser length need to cover it!? ( hope that makes sense )

I have seen it done both ways and it is usually builder preference, as long as it looks seamless once it is all put together
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both work fine. The main thing to consider is if you are doing the hand tied suit; the mesh is not elastic, so the decision to split the costume up into multiple overlapping pieces is to accommodate movement without ripping seams or giving yourself a wedgie and never exposing skin. Most commonly this is at the waist, the wrists/gloves, and the ankles.

But splitting the pants up into stilt covers and pant legs might make it easier to take the costume on and off. I think Dougie Fett did that on some of his suits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: