Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f6df9cbda9e0fce2ef0e359c1bf7930dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Belated Beach Cassian Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Belated Beach Cassian Build Thread Reply with quote

Over the past year I've been working on parts for Cassian's outfit from the final scenes after the vault on Scarif and now I think I'm finally ready to submit for approval. I chose this costume firstly because Cassian has become one of my favourite characters and Rogue One is my favourite movie, but also because it was a simpler, and cooler costume that would be more comfortable in our Australian climate.

Since I didn't catalogue my progress much as I went, I thought I'd make this belated build thread to help anyone with what I did and where I sourced things.

Note: the belt, blaster, and shirt are all part of Cassian's standard rebel outfit which I do intend to continue this build into when I have more money and less projects in progress.

The Pants
In this outfit, Cassian continues to wear the Imperial Officer pants from his Scarif Vault Disguise, so for this I purchased a pair of cosplaysky officer pants to alter. Compared to the standard officer pants from cosplaysky, Cassian's pants had 2 pockets and a coin pocket, and wider belt loops in different positions. I ordered extra fabric with the pants, and I had a friend who was a costume designer and tailor add these details to the pants.

Cosplaysky's pants also had jodhpur flares that were too large, and an extra pocket flap on the back. I had another friend help me reduce the size of the flares, and I unpicked the extra pocket flap from the back.

Afterward, I dusted baby powder in various spots on the pants to make them look dustier and dirtier to better reflect the appearance he's been running in battle on a sandy beach and to add more variance to the colour of the pants.

Last edited by Gyurizon (Luke Maras) on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boots
These were the simplest part of the costume, as I already had them for my imperial staff officer. As seen in the above behind the scenes images, Cassian continues to wear the boots from his officer disguise on the beach afterward. So I have continued to use my boots from my Imperial Staff officer uniform in this costume.

Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shirt
For the shirt, I collected all the reference photos I could, and helped my tailor friend pick out the fabric, but I didn't actually have much to do with making it. My friend made the shirt for me, and based his design on Simplicity 8823's shirts.

My shirt now needs ironing because I am bad at folding and have no room to store things Razz but afterward, I weathered seams and the darker patches seen in the reference images with brown eye shadow that I brushed onto it.

Last edited by Gyurizon (Luke Maras) on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blaster
One of the things I loved most about Cassian was how his blaster was modular and just really cool. I have been working on his rifle version, but for this costume, I bought the Nerf Cassian's pistol, sanded off the licensing information etc, painted it first with silver, and then with black.

I then weathered it with black and silver acrylic that I brushed on, and cleaned/smudged with a cloth.

Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Belt
Last, but certainly not least - and the piece I am most proud of - is the belt.

I started this by looking at what I could of Cassian's belt in photos, and the work of some other costumer's belts.

I then made a draft of the belt and how it would sit out of 2mm foam sheets which stapled together.

Now I had never done any leatherwork before, so I was a bit afraid of starting this, but a good friend who had a little bit of experience from her Rey costume helped guide me through what I was doing. I'm very happy with how it turned out, but it's a little rough around the edges, and once I have some more experience I think I'll give this belt another run.

I bought a whole hide from a local leather supplier of some thick brown leather that was closest to the colour for Cassian's belt. I cut one strip for the left , and one strip for the right side (with the dip where the holster attaches) of the belt. On the left side of the belt, I cut two incisions into it, then cut out a thinner piece of leather to slip through as the band that his belt has. I glued it down where it was flat on the belt, and I threaded through it around the air-hose nozzles to hold them in place. Another strip of thin leather about 1cm wide was wrapped around to the right of the buckle, and 2 small ones were also wrapped around the end of the first small strap, to the left of the buckle and glued in place.

I mapped out where snaps needed to go so that I could button the belt up at the back and front, and where the ones that were just decoration needed to go, then skived the leather down and hammered the snaps in place. I then cut out a piece of aluminium with tin-snips, and folded it over the front as a faux-buckle since the snaps at the back were much more functional.

To add a bit of gloss to the leather as it was quite dry and matte, I coated it in dublin that I wiped on with a cloth.

Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holster
... Actually the belt wasn't last, because I decided to make another section for the holster. Based on the proportions of the nerf gun toy, I had also made a foam draft of the holster. Then I cut out a piece from my leather hide, and wet formed it around the gun by putting them in boiling water, then clamping it with some bulldog clips around the gun and left it in the sun to dry.

After I got my butt into gear a few months later I got around to threading the side of the holster together. I skived down where the snaps needed to be, cut a thinner piece of leather to hold the blaster in place, gluing it to the back, and another strip to be the thigh strap. Another thin strip was cut to be glued on the back which enabled me to loop it to the belt, and a loop for the thigh strap to sit through.

I intend to take my approval photos and submit it this week - I'll keep this thread updated with any potential changes I discover I need to make.
Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scars

Considering almost the whole time Cassian has this outfit in the movie he has scratches on his face, I thought it would be much better to include the scars in the costume. In the deleted/behind the scenes shots he wears the outfit on the beach without the scars, but in the film the only time he has it without scars is when they are in the vault. After he comes up to save Jyn from Krennic until the end of the film he has the scars.

What I did was I used a bruising palette to brush on red for each of the scars, then went over them with rigid collodion. I dragged a toothpick down the center of the rigid collodion and applied a few layers to give it the 3D appearance of a scar, then went over the center of it with red from the bruising palette again. After that I drew a thinner line of brown down the center to make it look deeper in the center.

Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Friday, with much help from my girlfriend I weathered my outfit with more makeup that we dusted on while I was wearing the outfit to give it a more realistic look and hit places we didn't notice before, and then we took my approval submission photos.

Cover shot:

Front:

Back:

Left:

Right:

Weathering:

Fingers crossed that I've done as good a job as I aimed for and I haven't missed anything.
Policeman Bob ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had praise for this on facebook as well, but well done. The whole thing really came together and it is not a look I have seen done much at all. I know your friend made the shirt but I really love it. You might have to think about setting up a commission on that baby for some of your fellow Cassians.
Gyurizon (Luke Maras)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Policeman Bob wrote:
I had praise for this on facebook as well, but well done. The whole thing really came together and it is not a look I have seen done much at all. I know your friend made the shirt but I really love it. You might have to think about setting up a commission on that baby for some of your fellow Cassians.

Thanks - I've been surprised that I haven't seen many other people do the look, but I hope to see more as it's a cool costume, and seeing him in it in the trailers and posters for Rogue One was cool.

Sadly my tailor is unable to do much more work due to health reasons for the foreseeable future though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: