Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d75cde533197f823802f168b95838b2dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

'Pilot Leia aka Splinter of the Mind's Eye Dark Horse Comics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standards In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through everything and looking at the images, I think there should a cover variant option and a standard/inside comic option (better wording is needed for sure). The cover variant could include a dark/burnt orange weathered/muddy pants and more detailed boots while the inside comic version would have the brown pants and detailed boots. Both could have the backpack as an optional item.

Just my two cents, hope it helps!

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden, Yavin Operations Officer
alphaignition ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants are brown... as you can see Luke's pants next to her on the cover art is much brighter and obviously orange. Every panel in the books show it as brown.. not sure what the stir up is. And they are not pilot pants, but something closer to the Bespin Fatigues Luke wears in TESB.
optimusvader (shant melkonian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants look clearly brown. They do not look like flightsuit pants. Luke’s orange pants have the top portion around his waist. I agree with Alphaignition. Looks like Bespin Fatigues.
TheGuide ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the cover is meant to be a very dirtied-up version of pilot orange pants. For the cover variant (if that's an option), it looks like you could start with pilot orange pants and then almost completely cover them with brown "mud stains." There should be very little orange showing in the end.

The scans from the internal panels of the comic are very clearly solid brown, but that may just be the colorist's style for portraying "dirty."

There's also the issue of her gloves being usually the same color as the pants, except the one panel where they are a reddish-brown. So the question is, does the most consistent look make the best standard? Or should you be allowed to deviate based on one alternative example source?
LosAngelesJedi (Ronald Alix)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great Leia costume to portray, I'm sure that the Princess herself is proud to have many strive to continue the Leia legacy. We all know Master Skywalker known for his bright orange get up. Going off the comics which is beautiful, I love the brown pants she is wearing its a great offset to her brother Luke's bright orange colors. Love and can't wait to see/troop with Princess Leia! MTFBWYA!
rab96 (Becca)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! Gonna add in my opinion here.

I do agree with Jill that the pants are in the orange spectrum. They aren’t X Wing orange, which can be seen in the cover art. I feel they are more like Pantone 2429 C, which is a rusty orange with more brown undertones.

Again, we do need to take into account that this is an older comic and they weren’t going to print a ton of detail into Leia’s pants for the panels. They very well may be brown in panels to signify the difference between her and Luke, and her “dirty” pants. Remember, the more colors you print, the higher the cost. I do agree that the pants are very reminiscent of Luke’s Bespin fatigues, one would say almost exact. I don’t think she’s wearing a flight suit.

Gloves, I would go for dark brown leather like material, with the greeblie.

Belt, I also agree that it is almost a carbon copy of Luke’s ROTJ belt.

Boots are obviously grey, I’m not sure if there’s a wedge like her Hoth boots. I’d have to look over the comics more. So before we call it her Hoth set of boots, I would recommend looking into that.

I think I’ve covered most of the controversy here, the top is pretty much self explanatory and almost no deep description is needed.

So here’s my opinions, hopefully they help! I plan on making this costume once we have a color settled for the pants Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pants look brown, not orange. Even in the cover image, they are clearly not the same color as Luke’s ‘pilot orange’ pants and she definitely isn’t in a flight suit with the top tied around her waist. Is there any precedent for or other occurrences of orange pants? I think they are indeed similar to Luke’s pants in ESB.

For weathering, since she is seen before falling into the mud, then a ‘cleaner’ option should be accepted with just the minor weathering you would expect.
asoriorainn62 (angie hesse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion from the picture reference Leia's pants look brown/rust not the color orange of a flight suit..because of who she is her costumes if you will must be different and i think the artist understood that ..And therefore we must adhere to those standards
RogueWic ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid using the word “orange” in writing the standards for these pants. It implies a range of colors that include bright pilot orange. A more accurate description would be rust brown which was a very popular color in the seventies. Rust brown has orange undertones but is definitely a brown color.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoa wrote:
Is there any precedent for or other occurrences of orange pants? I think they are indeed similar to Luke’s pants in ESB.

Definitely agree with you and with what others said about the style of pants. It definitely looks like they were modeling her pants after Luke’s.

The only image that shows the pants are even slightly orange is the cover art. Nowhere else in the comic is it shown to be orange. I’m also in agreement that they are a brown with orange undertone.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Fox ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love stumbling upon these threads!
I love reading the passion that we have for this. We want to be so accurate! I love it.
Want my two cents? I am a costumer, that is about all I have left to give anyway...
From looking at the comic (now I have to get this to see how it ends), Leia is clearly NOT in a flight suit. She doesn’t even have a helmet, for crying out loud! Yeah, she doesn’t want to mess up those buns, but... she is missing critical elements making her a “pilot.”
No helmet, no chest box, no flight suit.
Now, is the Rebel Legion well equipped enough to have “his” and “hers” specific flight suits? Maybe so... guys get the one-piece (because when they need to go, they just unzip), girls get the two piece (because when they need to go, they can’t just unzip). I can get on board with that.
But as mentioned earlier, the styles are totally different. And why did the inker go out of the way to make them brown in the comic? Even in the panels that Luke does not appear, the inker could have made them orange.
I think that they do look more like Luke’s Bespin fatigues.
So if she didn’t take the time to grab a helmet, chest box, signal flares, etc, then I don’t think she intend to grab a flightbsuit either.
Does any of this make sense?
I may have just rambled on.
I love the passion! This costume is sweet!
Oh! And are the sleeves 3/4 length or full length just pushed up...?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to add to the confusion but I don't think that this would classify as a pilot costume. This version of Leia isn't wearing any pilot-related gear at all, I think that it would fall under the Senatorial detachment. This isn't any more of a pilot outfit than Hera's outfit was.

Leia in the stealth X-wing pilot gear would be perfectly acceptable as a pilot costume, but this one doesn't look like a pilot at all, she's not wearing any sort of pilot gear.

Good start on the standards, though. I just think they need to be moved over to the Senatorial section. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Erivaan (Madeline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to throw my opinion on here too. I personally think that the pants are a shade of brown. Going back to Anya's swatches, I think those color pulls are pretty accurate and I'd have to agree that they are definitely a BDU pant, right down to the pockets. I would personally go off of the comic reference more than the cover art solely on the fact that the cover art could've really been up to the artist's discretion (especially since in the comic they always appear brown, otherwise they'd appear orange which they don't).
GalenMarek87 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and that there should be allowed a color variant option for the pants. As the references show there is enough support to allow for both colors. Cover and comic variant. Both findings are accurate so I don’t see why we can’t have both? That option allows us to be more inclusive and still be accurate to the standard we are known for. Also the way that I’m looking at this the cover variant is a more detailed representation. The comic strip references were usually toned down in terms of detail in order to produce the comic in a timely matter. The type of style used for color art in these types of comics would use the same solitary color for the character throughout most of it to cut down on production time. Also it can also be deducted from the Cover variant that the pants could possibly be pilot orange just covered in mud heavily. From the looks of it it could just be pilot orange soaking wet and covered in mud. Similar to the way that blues soaking wet look like black, orange soaking wet in muddy water covered in mud can definitely look brown. Just my two cents.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this. I think there is more than enough reference to support an orange variant based on the cover art. While the pants in the panel art are more of a russet or rusty brown, the cover art clearly intends them to be a muddy OT flight suit orange. I think both should be acceptable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC New Standards In Progress All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: