Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b9a20d55a25c805247d01fe7fc162673Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cassian - Shop recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coronet ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Cassian - Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

Dear all,

my boyfriend is looking into joining the RL with a Cassian costume. As we´re on a rather tight budget atm something like Magnoli is not an option for us and sadly there´s no time to sew it myself. So we´ve looked into the different "budget" versions which we´ve seen other RL members use (of course with at least some modifications like weathering, adding a few seams...).

These are the shops we´ve come up with:

1. ProCosplay

2. Ebay Seller Cosplayshow

From the pictures it looks to me as if they might be the same and we´ve seen other chinese sellers use the same pictures, so we´re not really sure if there is an "original source" for this costume and if we can expect the quality from the picture (with other costumes I´ve made the experience that the quality can often greatly differ from the advertised pictures and that the sellers just steal each others pictures, but of course the sellers could all be supplied by the same wholeseller...).
Does anyone here use one of the above and could maybe show a few pictures of their costume (and maybe even show which changes you did to make it approvable)?
Or from a judges perspective which one would you recommend? We´ve also seen a costume from Oasis, but I think this would be a bit to much work compared to the others? With the ruffled waistband it might not be the best base to start from.

We´re open to any recommendations and I hope some of you might be able to help us out :)

Thank you and mtfbwy
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll discuss this with the DCO and get back to you.
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Cassian-focused group on Facebook and I think they’ll have lots of good advice there. We have definitely approved members with Chinese-purchased costumes, and with a few mods these costumes can look quite nice. I’m just not sure where exactly people buy them.

Here’s the group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/139172823300974?ref=share
(Be sure to answer the approval questions when you request to join.)
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jenna's comments about some of the less expensive versions being able to be modded for approval with some work.

Here's what I see that would need to be updated at first glance:

1. That vinyl rank badge needs to go.

2. The commpad needs to be replaced with a more accurate one and needs to be inside a windowed pocket

3. Any snaps would need to be colored to blend with the jacket a bit more. If they can be removed without fabric integrity issues, they should be replaced with an invisible closure like velcro. I am really confused as to why they put ones on the shirt cuffs. That's just silly.

4. I'm not entirely sure that shirt is modable. It depends entirely on whether or not that extended belly seam is structural or decorative. If it is decorative the extra bits on either side of the bib can be removed and topstitching used to create the missing sides. If it is structural, the seam type would need to be played with so that it doesn't show quite so much. We've had several people apply with this shirt, and it pulls really oddly.

5. The whole thing would need weathering.

6. The belt/holster rig, boots and vest are questionable. The vest is not needed for approval. The holster/belt and boots you will be better off replacing. (They are the wrong color among other things.)

7. It is missing the PLCE belt.

8. The energy pellet greebs are missing.

There may be other bits as well, but those are the ones that jump out right now.

Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: