Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=175c85d9b838e408147bb9d3f7d1affaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bandolier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItalianChewie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Bandolier Reply with quote

Hi all, and many thanks for the help you gave me since my first question!
About the bandolier, I have a couple of doubts. The first one is the width of the leather strip that covers the boxes. I made a strip of 1 inch, but it seems a bit excessive to me. What do you think?

https://imgur.com/a/EXLO5da

Another thing is the "button" in lower part. I think that it's VERY similar to the one that is present on the Han Solo holster. It's the same button?

https://imgur.com/a/rMzYPSx
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The middle strap should be 3/4". The greeblie on the Han Solo holster is not the same as Chewie's bandolier. It is a Conch that you can get from Tandy Leather.
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greeblie on Han’s belt is the same as the one on the ANH and ESB bandoliers. The ROTJ bandolier has a button from a Brittish military coat. I’ve a couple of those if you need them. It all depends on which version you’re after.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bandolier Reply with quote

ItalianChewie wrote:
Hi all, and many thanks for the help you gave me since my first question!
About the bandolier, I have a couple of doubts. The first one is the width of the leather strip that covers the boxes. I made a strip of 1 inch, but it seems a bit excessive to me. What do you think?

The cover strap is just over half an inch wide. So you're almost double at this point. lol

https://imgur.com/a/EXLO5da

Another thing is the "button" in lower part. I think that it's VERY similar to the one that is present on the Han Solo holster. It's the same button?

It is the exact same "button." You will find two of them on the ANH version, on the ESB there is only one, and on jedi its the Military button. TFA>TLJ has no buttons. Nor does the solo or ROTS belts

https://imgur.com/a/rMzYPSx

The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gato wrote:
The middle strap should be 3/4". The greeblie on the Han Solo holster is not the same as Chewie's bandolier. It is a Conch that you can get from Tandy Leather.

The conch that you speak of is not correct at all. My best guess is that people who started making bandos used it because its something that was cheap and could easily be found. It serves a purpose of looking like its what belongs there. But its not even close to correct in regard to the actual part.

The measurement you gave is also off. Im not sure the source you used but let me debunk a few sources.

1. Pretty much most of the lower cost bando makers are guessing their way around the measurements. They are in the ballpark, but Ive yet to see one done totally correctly. I would not reference those.

2. Any of the chewbacca suits currently on exhibit touring the world(excluding ROTS). They are not original costumes nor are they or based on anything other then guess work at what the parts were. Any suit on display in a museum is a reproduction made in the 90s using original molds, but not original construction techniques. All of the bandos on display are also reproductions from multiple costume houses who all worked independently.

3. The adam savage measurements are based on the above wrong ones. Even more so that his measurements and construction techniques altered things. Like the use of snaps instead of rivets his measurements were all over the place. Snaps are twice the size of rivets so his cover strap was bigger than it should be. Also the source of his bag and such was a whole different issue.

4. The prop geometrists. Chewie is tall for sure, but as a human being Peter mayhew doesn't actually quite fit the proportional stature. His arm lengths, height and other factors are all deceiving to his bando length and measurement. His hands are so large they extend down to his knees well beyond the normal length. This is why his hand covers the bag. Most of us arent that disportionate. Thus without massive lengthening, our arms always appear short.

Im sure Im missing stuff, but thats the basic run down. Hope that helps anyone whos looking for information on whats out there and the origins of where things come from.

On a cool/sad separate note. There is not much of the original chewie costumes left. There were only very few masks made over all the OT movies. 2 for ANH. One more bear like the other more smooth. Then they reused the smooth one for empire and destroyed the other and reworked it for the remainder of Empire( the floppy hair sceens). The single ANH suit was essentially destroyed in Empire and a new suit was made to finish out the movie.

Then in Jedi they did 2 whole brand new suits. Possibly three suits, it is unclear if the third suit was ever finished or used. It is speculated that the suit in the Orlando Planet Hollywood is actually the ROTJ

Empire and ANH were shirt and pants. Jedi on forward were all onsies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: