Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a61d1603f34c59254654a41d1b9b1fbdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stilt noise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyinpiper (Brett malone)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Stilt noise! Reply with quote

Anyone know the secret to stopping the squeaks and creeks with stilts? I have tried wd, graphite etc... Any input appreciated!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use WD-40 on drywallb stilts. It is mostly a solvent and tears up the aluminium. Use a silicone based lubricant like Liquid Wrench.

If that still doesn't do it, I know a Wookiee who made leather washers and put them in his springs, so you might try that on
Opti ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a few different brands of lubricant sprays including graphite spray. I was never happy with anyone of them. So I really studied which parts were making noise. For me it was both the front and back frame pieces. When the lower piece slid back up and made contact inside the upper frame. And also the seat where the leg brace sits down into the cup on the lower end. My two fixes were: I wrapped heavy wire around the attachment points of the springs and tightening them so the lower frame work couldn't slide down. Hence sliding back up and making noise. Worked great! And then on the bottom of the leg brace, I wrapped electrical tape a few times around the bottom metal end to act as a washer spacer between that and the cup it sits in. I was also very happy how that worked. The stilts were very quiet after these two simple upgrades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: