Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=916cad9dc089454ce60214189810ea32Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rubies supreme chewie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brisk arper (scott britton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Rubies supreme chewie Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I recently purchased (whilst very inebriated) a rubies supreme chewie and the newer Disney rubies "mouth mover mask"

Now I'm aware that the legion dont accept costumes that use this as a Base, not even for a generic wookiee, but I can't seem to find anything explaining why this is, though Im sure it will have something to do with the fur parting and showing the "undersuit", just wondering if there are any other issues I should know about haha

Cheers
[/img]
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no interesting story ever started with a glass of milk. Wink I also recommend against trimming your Wookiee suit after drinking. I once had a, uh, friend who did that. They regretted it.

There was a time when we accepted the Rubie's as a base, because with extensive modification we saw a few get on par with a couple of hand made suits.

However the quality of hand made suits has advanced far beyond that now, and basically everyone is able to do so much better now, and for less money than a Rubie's.

Basically that's where the minimum requirements are set. If everyone can do it so long as they put forth the effort and take advantage of the resources around here, then it's a reasonable minimum requirement. If most are struggling with something, like a moving mouth, it doesn't get required and the best course of action is to do better teaching people, organizing information, etc.

The Wookiee community is generous and helpful. Most are happy to help others with their suits and put a lot of time and effort into doing so. No one is really jealous or secretive except where non disclosure agreements are involved. We're happy to share the privilege, so long as your willing to make the same effort as everyone else.

Check the site in my signature for a good place to get started.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents that may only be worth 1..or none is that the facial structure is wrong. While the mask looks 1000x better than previous versions, it looks like a stuffed animal instead of a wookiee.

I don't know if it has a hard shell inside the mask since I have never seen one in person, but just looking at the images of it and a normal wookiee mask a person here would use side by side the overall look and structure would be my guess. It is a bit more rounded versus elongated, jaw is not pronounced, jaw/nose area are more flat to the face versus sticking out for example.

If the structure was more in line with wookiees from the movie than I could maybe see how somebody might be able to use as a base but would take a lot of work, especially since the hair is nowhere long enough.

Again, just my guess on the reasons and please take in mind I am saying all this after just waking up and I am not a coffee drinker lol
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
brisk arper (scott britton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/XMK7wLS

That's how it looks with the mask, haven't added any height yet but I have ordered drywall stilts to add the necessary height, it's received good feedback from a few wookie builders I know, though I had done a few upgrades prior to taking this picture.

And I totally understand what you guys are saying, as I said, a VERY drunk purchase (I have no memory of ordering it haha) but I think I've done a pretty decent job on it so far, and still a long way off "done" plus it was an absolute steal on ebay, well under a thOrd the price they usually go for.

I've kind of accepted I can't use it for the legion, was just curious if there were big issues wth it long term that I should look out for haha

Thanks guys Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: