Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f74e1541fe52158b881f582341797068Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ben Kenobi Hair/Wig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Sector A ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Ben Kenobi Hair/Wig Reply with quote

Hello. I'm working on an Old Ben Kenobi costume for approval and while I am waiting to finish the Belt for the outfit, I have a question regarding the Hair requirement.

The standard states “Costumer should have a beard. Costumer’s hair should be styled as seen in the movie. Wigs and prosthetics are allowed.”

Now the beard wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have hair atop my head, having been shaved for many years. So, if the white hair is required, and it has to be styled as in the movie (ANH), I've been searching for a wig that would fill the standard requirement. I haven't have any luck finding a short white wig that looks anything close to what is pictured for Ben. I've tried searching on the forum but haven't found anything on this issue.

Does anyone know of any sources for a suitable wig? Also, would the beard have to be white as well?

Also, I am a little confused with this requirement as I have seen some approved Ben Kenobi costumes that I have found on the RL website, do no all have the white hair, or in at least one instance, there was no hair. That would be preferred for me actually, but if it is a requirement for a Formal/Canon Ben Kenobi, why are some approved costumes that don't seem to meet the standard?

A Costume Judge's opinion would be preferred regarding the rule issue, but anyone's opinion is also welcomed for the source of the wig. Smile

Thank you!
Greebly One ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Kenobi Hair/Wig Reply with quote

OCD_Chad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the wig I would go to a wig shop that also cuts and styles them. Most of their customers are people who wear them every day, so in my experience they do very well at getting a good look.
Greebly One ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently started playing around with ventilating wigs. From what I've learned so far, a wig simulating Sir Alex's hair in ANH would have to be made by hand on a full lace foundation. (it's getting rather thin by that point in his life, and I fear something off the shelf would be way too dense)

I haven't attempted a full lace foundation wig yet, but one is on my projects list (a partially grey McGregor, from the lost years)

Although they are expensive ($2-3K) they can be done yourself, if you have an inclination to craftsmanship. It might seem like it would take forever, but is actually rather meditative. My n00b guess is it would take 100 to 200 hours.

I am lucky enough to know professional make-up artists who have pointed me in the right direction, since online tutorials are few, far in-between and sometimes not the best instructions (people pay big bucks for professional workshops).

I am happy to share what little I have learned so far. Part of which is that making a wig is one thing, and styling it is a completely different skillset altogether.

Check out atelierbassi.com for a look at the tools of the trade.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben Kenobi Hair/Wig Reply with quote

Red Sector A wrote:
Hello. I'm working on an Old Ben Kenobi costume for approval and while I am waiting to finish the Belt for the outfit, I have a question regarding the Hair requirement.

The standard states “Costumer should have a beard. Costumer’s hair should be styled as seen in the movie. Wigs and prosthetics are allowed.”

Now the beard wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have hair atop my head, having been shaved for many years. So, if the white hair is required, and it has to be styled as in the movie (ANH), I've been searching for a wig that would fill the standard requirement. I haven't have any luck finding a short white wig that looks anything close to what is pictured for Ben. I've tried searching on the forum but haven't found anything on this issue.

Does anyone know of any sources for a suitable wig? Also, would the beard have to be white as well?

Also, I am a little confused with this requirement as I have seen some approved Ben Kenobi costumes that I have found on the RL website, do no all have the white hair, or in at least one instance, there was no hair. That would be preferred for me actually, but if it is a requirement for a Formal/Canon Ben Kenobi, why are some approved costumes that don't seem to meet the standard?

A Costume Judge's opinion would be preferred regarding the rule issue, but anyone's opinion is also welcomed for the source of the wig. Smile

Thank you!

I was a costume judge back in 2011. the issue with the hair color relates to the Legions policy of non-discrimination. we never discriminate on the basis of race (meaning: anyone from any race can play any character). the issue of 'hair color' falls under the same rules as 'skin color'. this is why we have blonde-haired Leias, for example. the style is important but the color is not.

as for wigs, my wife wears a wig due to chemotherapy-induced alopecia. she found a local 'mom&pop' retail boutique which cuts and styles them for her. they typically cost around $400-$450 c/w 3-hour consultation/styling appointment. the first time she wore one in public, she showed up at work and NOBODY could tell the difference. they have a mesh hairline which blends with her natural skin. it is incredibly life-like. from 2 feet away, it looks like a natural hairline. (her loud-spoken motto: "I'm not perfect. But my hair is"). by contrast, her first wig was $75 and made her want to cry.
the lesson is, you get what you pay for. and you won't find it on the internet. for Obi-Wan IV, you will need to find a local boutique who can spend some time styling it and making sure it looks "real". there is nothing worse, than a wig-that-looks-"wiggy" Wink LOL

cheers!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stan Winston School of Character Arts has some tutorials on wigs and wig-making you might check out.

I, too, have also gone the shaved head look (looks way better than thinning hairs and comb-overs) and I am in the process of building an Amos Burton costume from Season 3 of the expanse. He has a military-style hair cut so this is an idea to which I have given some thought, but have not tested or built yet:

My ideas is to build my own silicone bald cap, probably from DragonSkin, which is skin safe. I plan to brush on the areas of my head that I want the hair plus a bit of overlap, then I plan to use hair punching techniques that I learned making Chewie to put he hair in. Shouldn't be too expensive. I don't much silicone to cover my noggin. I may use Slacker mutator to make it self adhesive.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: