Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c1f3b3cab40bd5ae32643984c204cafcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[WIP] Obi-Wan, Clone Wars seasons 3-6 build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groggydog ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: [WIP] Obi-Wan, Clone Wars seasons 3-6 build Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

A little over a year ago I decided to dress up as Ep. 3 Obi-Wan for New York Comic Con, and had an absolute blast compiling pieces of costume from Amazon, Etsy, and a few other places. I have no background in sewing or crafting, so I didn't make anything myself - just made small changes like dyeing the fabric in coffee. A few months after that, I got approved for Rebel Legion as a generic jedi.

Now, after a successful second Comic Con where I did a bit of actual crafting to make a loose Poe Dameron costume, I want to push myself a bit and see if I can turn my non-approved Obi-Wan costume into an approved Clone Wars S3-S6 costume in time for Star Wars Celebration in April.

Here's what I'm starting with (photo):

Front | Back

And here's what I believe I need to accomplish:

1) Fabricate bracers and glove armor from foam

This is the main purpose of the costume, learning how to craft armor with foam. I've already looked into Kamui Cosplay's guides and patterns for foam armor and feel good about getting into something completely new.

2) Update tabards

Should be easy enough, just need to make sure they stop at the obi in the back.

3) Update belt

My belt's in a pretty good place already, especially since I already have a Cover-Tec clip, but I need to make a more pronounced bow-tie buckle and change out the pouches for something more accurate. I have no experience with leatherworking, so we'll see how that goes.

4) Update boots

I got my boots from Funtasma and love them, but know that for Obi-Wan I need to add spats and an ankle strap. Will figure that out. Vinyl, maybe?

And here are the images I'm referencing to start.

Hopefully I learn a lot along the way! Would love any help or expertise this board can provide.
groggydog ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question up: are there any good existing guides about turning plain Funtasma boots into the screen accurate kind? I know they're a popular cosplay choice, and want to start on these first.
groggydog ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After scouring a bit, I found this helpful RL post about modding Funtasma boots, and have decided to go with that.

First, I created a makeshift pattern out of a totally appropriate wrapping paper:

Then, I made a few modifications to the measurements and cut out a test patch of my pleather...

And finally, I did my first ever sewing project. It's not great, but it might just pass. If not, I've got plenty of spare pleather. This is supposed to be the lower part of the spat, and will connect to the upper part behind the ankle strap.

The color is lighter than my boots so I'll need to paint it, but that seems easy enough. Next time I post I'll hopefully have the spats themselves constructed (but maybe not painted).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: