About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=125a20cf19c72736c07c246d1cfdc3b7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han's Pants
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I had asked the same thing to some costumers about a month ago cause I had no clue. The riding seam is a seam of the pants that go up the back of the pants (across the butt basically) instead of the crotch. They're a completely different pair of pants than anything you could buy at say K-Mart. If you're wanting to not make anything from scratch, you'll have to buy riding pants. I've veered from that option myself because a cursory search for cheap riding pants showed up with nothing. And most of the websites I found had minimal pictures, I was a little afraid to dump lots of money on pants I couldn't verify would look every way I wanted them to.
The pin tuck is basically the permanent press line that goes down the middle of the front of each leg, no idea how to put that into pants, but that is what that is.
Kaydee has a gallery of some shots she took of one of the exhibits...It might be linked on the padawan's guide, otherwise I don't recall exactly how I found her pictures when I was looking, but perhaps if you can't find them a PM to her for the link?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The riding seem is not that hard to put in actually. If you can make a pair of pants, you can make a pair with a riding seem.

Start by getting a brown or blue twill cotton of sorts.... get a pants patern from the fabric store. I would suggest making a pair of pants out of a cheap fabric like muslin to save the good fabric. On the first step do not worry about zippers or anything like that on this phase... just put the main sections together to see if it fits. Once you have the pants together, you will need to draw in the ridding seem on the back... marker or pencil... doesnt mater. Where you have marked the riding seem... cut! take apart everything you had sewn together for that is now your pattern for your Han pants. You will need to add a seem allowence back into the Muslin fabric where the ridding seem will be, 1/4- 1/2 inch is more than enough. Once you do these things... you will have a pattern for a pair of pants that fit you with a riding seem. Its that easy.

The Pin Tuck is nothing more than a small amount of fabric gathered together and stitched to make look like a seem.

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good tip on the pants. I was waiting for someone I knew to dig out a pair of her old riding pants, we were going to use those as the basis for the pattern...but I'm not in a hurry.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with most equestrian riding pants is they are all different. The riding pants your friend has may have a completly different pattern as far as direction of the stitch. Some riding pants do not even make it to the knees, or take goofy angle to the inside of the leg. Hans pants have a straight seem. let me know what you dig up Masterbean, curious to see what is out there.

Bob
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I think my costume maker will be able to figure it out. She is real good at Kit bashing patterns and altering stuff. Thats how she made my ANH shirt so good.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of retiring all of my Han Solo outfits due to lack of decent pants, does anyone here know of costumers who sell/make accurate Han pants??

THanks,

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some find seamstresses to do it Wink

Or you can try Vince:
http://corellianexports.astromechbuilder.com/index1.htm

I believe he still does them Wink

Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charybdis wrote:
At the risk of retiring all of my Han Solo outfits due to lack of decent pants, does anyone here know of costumers who sell/make accurate Han pants??

THanks,

www.twinroses.com

contact Andrea at twinroses and tell her 'Wedge' from FX-sabers sent you Wink

info@twinrosesdesigns.com

IIRC* she quoted $165 for the pocketless pants with 1inch embroidered bloodstripes + $5for the pintuck + $20 for the riding seam. I just haven't pulled the trigger (yet).

she's done han ESB for a previous customer and there are pics on her site if you want to see her handiwork. she said she can make the stripes in any color

http://www.twinroses.com/Star%20Wars%20Inspired%20Clothing%20Portfolio.html#Other_Characters

* I'm on my laptop right now. the Email log from that conversation is on another computer. I'll check the details later, but I'm pretty sure those are the right numbers
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here made their own from scratch? If so, was there a purchaseable pattern you used? And of course, if so, what is it? Wink
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I have a seamstress making both ANH and ESB/ROTJ.

As far as a pattern, I have not seen one. It is a simple thing for a seamstress to do. Granted they can be expensive. I got lucky and am not being charged very much as I provided the fabric for one and both sets of blood stripes.

Phoenix 17
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...but I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and I was just curious cause I'd like to start gathering info for possibly making ANH pants and possibly making my own ESB/ROTJ pants, cause it always just gives me that extra thrill to receive a compliment on my costume and it's one that I made rather than gathered.
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the stripes on line like I did, you can use a simple pajama pant pattern, modify to include the riding seam, with seam allowance. That's how I did mine. And I agree with MasterBean, that compliment means so much more when you made it yourself. Cool

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my reaserch of all this I found that if you combine a regular pants pattern (For the belt loops, zipper and button) with a civil war calvary pants pattern, you get what you need.

But I am not handy with a sewing machine soooo I just ordered mine from CE.

"Never tell me the odds."
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Has anyone here made their own from scratch? If so, was there a purchaseable pattern you used? And of course, if so, what is it? Wink

Mine are from complete scratch ( includding bloodstripes)... it was a quick sew pattern. I will see if I can find the pattern number around the house.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: