Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=77a09aebe3712fb2979f2c9d17be1e66Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Atton Rand WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Atton Rand WIP Reply with quote

Hello! I think this is the proper subsection but if not, please feel free to move it to the correct place!

Iím in the midst of planning/researching an Atton Rand build. Heís an amazingly complex character and I hope to do him justice! That being said... Iím terrified. Iím a smol woman and heís... well a man. So itís going to be a learning process for me! My goal with this costume is to have it wearable by Celebration Chicago (but Iíd love to be approved with it by then if possible!)

Iím going to start with items that can be modified and then save the ďto be madeĒ items for last.

First up: Pants. Thereís pockets (and faux back pockets according to the reviews) but these look like a good base to me. All Iíd have to do is add the blood stripe down the side. I have some wide bias tape that should work for that.

Amazon Essentials Women's Straight-Fit Stretch Twill Chino Pant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0775PZCLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2jvTBbHES5EWB

Shoes: they look like black loafers to me? These ones look okay to me and I think they would work! As far as I can tell, no modifications needed? My only option is look for block ankle boots but I havenít gotten there yet.

CLARKS Women's Cheyn Bow Loafer, Black Leather, 060 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078G8CJR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bqvTBbW5TN0NV

Gloves: I may have to shorten these and chop the fingers off, but otherwise, very little modification is needed I believe.

FINILUO women elbow long real leather gloves multi colors (S, burgundy) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792WDD5D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fvvTBbK97NNSP

Undershirt: this is first real issue I think. The color looks like it matches the gloves (his gloves and undershirt match imo?) but this is a round neck shirt and his is a v neck. I saw a video on Pinterest (I think it was Pinterest?) on how to make a round neck shirt into a v neck. If people think this is too much work, Iíll sew one instead.

Rosette Women's Sleeveless Undershirt - Cotton - High Neck, Full shoulder design Chocolate Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4SI3X5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ByvTBbTB2GH5M

Just for fun, I plan on purchasing some pazaak cards because why not?

All thatís left to figure out is the shirt, jacket/vest, belts, and pouch... oh and hair 😅 Any tips, ideas, or suggestions would be great!

1138th Special Forces Squad Leader 2019-2020
Jyn Erso - RFT - ERT - Mando Merc/Bo-Katan - Atton Rand - Hoth Hanger Trooper

In Progress: Battle Handmaiden

Last edited by Kryamla (Emily Jackson) on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Iíve been thinking on this one and I donít think Iím going to modify the pants. He doesnít seem to have any pockets (like most Star Wars pants it seems) so Iím going to be sewing my own. I think Iíve decided on a McCalls pattern (M6901); looks fairly straight forward but Iíll do a mock up when I pick up the pattern to see if anything needs to be tweaked.

Still figuring out what would be a good base pattern for the shirt and the ribbed jacket/vest.

I found this great turn out around and figured Iíd post it here for anyone who might find it useful!

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would need some substantial hair styling, but I think this wig would make a great base:

https://www.epiccosplay.com/atlas-14-dark-brown-lace-front-alternative-cosplay-wig.html

It's lace front, so it'll look super natural, and with a haircut and some styling I think you can make it look just like Atton's hair! Hit me up for cutting and styling help, I've gotten pretty good at that over the years. Mr. Green

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thatís a good option! Iím definitely going to take you up on that styling and cutting help, I have no experience with wigs lol

Swfangirl ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in your research, Iím looking to create this costume for my son next year.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a partial draft of a costume standard here - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1043423#1043423

How comfortable are you with pattern modification? This pattern - https://www.onthecuttingfloor.com/free-v-neck-top-pattern-and-sewing-tutorial/ - has the crossed over v-neck neckline. You'd need to add the little flap on the one side, lengthen the sleeves, and let out the sides a bit for a more masculine cut, but it might be a starting place?

EDIT - I just found this amazing collection of useful photos - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53853&sid=6a3014a6ed3b3e2304601abc3235a190
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve been using that in-progress standard as a jumping off point, itís been quite helping in trying to break the costume down more simply!

Oh that pattern looks great! I can modify okay-ish, itíd be worth a shot! Also those are great reference pictures, definitely will come in handy Smile

I did a mock up of the pants pattern, couple things to tweak and then I think Iíll be ready for the real deal! Hoping to start on that tomorrow or sometime next (this weekend is incredibly busy for me Shocked )

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching your build!

The sleeves on the vest remind me of something but I'm pulling a blank. I'll keep my eyes out for a good base pattern.
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
Looking forward to watching your build!

The sleeves on the vest remind me of something but I'm pulling a blank. I'll keep my eyes out for a good base pattern.

That would be lovely! Iíve been searching for a good base but havenít found one yet.

Iím almost done with the pants! Hopefully Iíll be able to finish up on them soon and post some pictures Smile

Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants are almost done, just have to adjust where I put the zipper (first zipper I've ever done so I'm still figuring it out). I ordered 2 different sets of gloves in hopes one of them might work. One is more burgundy and one is more brown. I'd love to hear opinions on them as I'm very undecided at the moment. If neither will work, I'll keep looking Smile

Natural lighting:

Overhead lighting:

Obviously whichever pair I pick will have to be modified to be fingerless and shorter (these go above my elbows currently) but i cant imagine it would be very difficult to modify either pair.

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a judge, but I feel like the pair on the right looks closer to the color.
Captain Solo (Evert Joosse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a judge either, but I would say right as well.
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you both on the gloves so I got to work modifying them Smile all thatís left is shortening them but Iím going to wait until I have the shirt done to make sure I get the length where I want it. The mods were fairly easy; chop of the fingertips, remove the lining to help reduce the heat, and sew around the edges to keep the fingers from coming apart. Iím really happy with these and hope theyíll work!

The pants are almost done and only need a final hem (and maybe a couple of belt loops) once I get the shoes. My friend helped me fix my zipper issue so now theyíre good to go!

So thereís where Iím at! Hoping Iíll be able to get some fabric for the v neck soon and do a mock-up of the outer shirt. Let me know wha you think!

Captain Solo (Evert Joosse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me! 😄
Kryamla (Emily Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Solo wrote:
Looks good to me! 😄

Thank you so much

I recently did a mock up of the shirt. I didnít bother adding sleeves because theyíre fairly straight forward and didnít require any real modifications (and I hate sewing them lol). I do plan on making the sleeves long and likely with a little stirrup for my hands to keep them down in the gloves. Anyway, hereís what I have! I do plan on binding so Iíll hopefully have a flatter chest appearance. Thoughts before I do the real thing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: