Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4ac7c5176f69f0012e50698fd668eeaeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Are tabards really this simple?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anakinos (Thad Laskowski)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonStar wrote:
My tabbards are Obi-Wan style, and they are sewn to the tunic. The bottom layer is also hand sewn at the shoulders (but not the top layer, the seam would show.) This way, the tabbards always stay in place, nothing looks "tacked," and the obi covers up the seam at the back.

Mine are done like this as well as the back of the tabbards are sewn into the the tunic where the seam of the skirt and tunic meet. One clean seam that is covered by the obi any way. I will try and post pics later.

MasterIstari (Chris Parker)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I never thought of doing that...that one makes sense as well, just have them attached at the skirt area seam. That way I don't have to worry about strain being put on the buttons or anything if there are kids or something. Yea, I think I'll have to look into doing this. I look forward to seeing the pictures, thanks for the suggestion.
Daritha (Christian)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Are tabards really this simple? Reply with quote

The Grey Elf wrote:
Are tabards really so simple that I'd just effectively cut eight pieces of fabric on a pattern similar to this, then sew them together into four pieces, pairing the four pieces together into front/back combos, maybe sticking a button loop at the center of the shoulder seam, and that's it?
You can always do it the more complicated way; as seen here. But in general, tabards are looking good when they're simple.

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I know those are yours, Christian, but I think it looks weird having the tabards crossed in the front. And it looks wrong, like they are on someone who's totally new, and doesn't know how to wear them properly.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed...the X looks wrong...i'd say it should be avoided unless one were going for a very specific look.

post edited for unintentional rudeness!! Wink

Last edited by Theyrenotdolls () on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really neccessary to throw insults like "noob" around? One of the things I like about this forum is that we generally DON'T do things like that.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyrenotdolls wrote:
agreed...noobness

Wow, that was uncalled for.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Amanita ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so..
Even if I don't agree with JediLoreen, at least she gives her critique in a constructive manner. Can we leave the "noob" comments to places like 4chan, please?
Theyrenotdolls ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many apologies!!!!.,,I was just kidding ...didnt mean it in a derogatory way...but i agree with lori that the way that those tabbards are crossed looks like someone trying them on for the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's much better. Unfortunately with some of the cosplay related things I've been reading lately, it's hard to tell when somebody's being serious.

Recently on another cosplay forum, we've been debating the difference between constructive feedback and just plain bashing. I cited this and some other Star Wars forums as examples of places where we generally get things right in that regard:)
Theyrenotdolls ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited above

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that some of us are total noobs. (I have no problem referring to myself as a 'noob', in fact I have done so in almost every thread I've posted in when asking questions) Just try not to put us down, because we don't have as much experience as some of you old-timers. We've gotta learn from you and from our own experiences, just as you probably learned from others and from your own experiences. We'll get it right eventually!! Razz
Ashlyn_Dubreas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to mention that I didn't get approved because of shoulder seams on the tabards.
Ashlyn.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I would appeal this decision.
use these references to argue your case. cite examples #2 and #4 .
(or cite examples #3 and #4 -- you only need 2 examples, for this 'shoulder seam' to be accepted as "generic").

1) little annie has a seam on the top of his shoulder (only seen on the edge of the tabbard in this pic)
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c8/1b/c8/c81bc8890c784d22075c6b940372171a.jpg

2) AOTC anakin has a seam on the top of his shoulder
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24900000/Attack-of-the-Clones-Anakin-Skywalker-anakin-skywalker-24957844-1260-888.jpg
http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Anakin_Skywalker_2.jpg

3) ROTS anakin has a seam on the top of his shoulder
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17100000/Anakin-Skywalker-anakin-skywalker-17186752-1024-768.jpg

4) the guy over padme's shoulder has a seam on the top of his shoulder
http://caps.pictures/200/2-starwars2/full/starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-13649.jpg

^^ the rule is: IF you can find 2 different jedi costumes from the movies which show the same design element...
...then this design element is considered "generic".

granted, 3 of these different movie-costumes belong to the same character.
but the 'generic' guy over padme's shoulder has it too. (example#4). this seals the deal.

on the strength of these references , the seam at the top of the shoulder should be accepted as generic.
please bring this to the attention of the LMO.
(this is the only way these issues can be brought to light and corrected.
the standards are a 'work in progress' and sometimes changes need to be made,
especially when supported by on-screen references).

hope this helps. cheers.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help but the shoulder seam was not the only problem that was pointed out on my pleather tabards. They also had an in seam which definitely is not seen in any of the Jedi characters. Plus I looked at the character that I based my tabards off is Zett Jukassa who very clearly does not have either. The shoulder seam probably wouldn't have been a problem it wasn't so obvious, it stands out like a sore thumb.
This is a close up of his tabard.
http://flicksandthecity.com//wp-content/uploads/Jett-Lucas-Zett-Jukassa1.jpg
Thank you for trying to help though but I am working on my new tabards with my Base's seamstress, plus I have found a few cool ideas to help keep these tabards in place when I'm wearing them so they don't slide all over the place.
Ashlyn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: