Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=80a7171d14e0dad40d5dfb70a07fc125Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

draycos: Luke (ROTJ Death-star duel) WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draycos ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: draycos: Luke (ROTJ Death-star duel) WIP Reply with quote

Firstly, Hello! I am a 501st Member (TFA Kylo & ANH Storm trooper) looking to join the rebel cause! (At least some of the time).

To do:
Shirt (pattern finished and fitted)
Pants (Done!)
Belt (Parts cut, assembly required)
Boots (ordered chromed leather jack boots)
Go very (Done!)
Saber (saberforge prodigal son ordered)
Contacts (I currently wear glasses, appointment made!)

Is there anything important I may have missed in my research that trips a lot of people up?

What light saber do you guys and gals use? I am currently trying to convince myself to get a Saber forge prodigal son. Does anyone know what options are closest to the movie?

Is there anywhere I can find boots for less than $150?

Any tips on materials? Currently planning on finding tux pants (with the shiny black stripe on them) and modifying them as needed. I then planned on matching that material for the shirt.

Last edited by Draycos () on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what research you have done, that is really hard to say. Wink

But you might want to know about this site: http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=luke-skywalker-episode-vi-death-star-duel

Generally, I would say getting it well fitted can be an issue, as can the riding boots. Make sure you get the right kind of riding boots or it just won't look right.
I don't know if you can style your own hair or if you'll need a wig.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Draycos ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quite a bit of research so i'm feeling pretty confident on that front.

My hair, though darker, is the right length and can be styled quite similar. I am also built similar to Luke (but skinnier).

Boots are my biggest question point at the moment. Other questions that I have: what does the stripe on the pants look like? I can not find a good picture... What actually happens at the waist? Does the shirt tuck in? What keeps the belt covering the top of the pants?

does anyone have good photos of their costume they would be willing to share?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for boots if I remember correctly you should search for spanish equestrian (riding) boots.

And the book Star Wars Costumes have a really nice picture of the stripe on the pants. It's matte, so no shiny fabric. Smile

Shirt definitely tucks into pants, and I think it's the hips that keeps the belt up. Wink
I recommend twill weave for shirt and pants.

Draycos ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at these for boots. They are pvc and not leather but they look closer to the reference images than most leather boots I can find (and are far cheaper). No zippers, knee height, close to correct seem lines...

https://www.amazon.com/Ovation-Derby-Cottage-Rubber-Riding/dp/B002HOBX6W
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those can work. Smile

Draycos ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How key are riding seams in the pants? They are not listed on the requirements page but I also understand "make it look like the movie." We are going to do our best on adding them but should that prove difficult how important would you say it is?

Also planning on checking a few local department stores for gloves... If I can't find any I'm looking at ordering these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KX6RF4E/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515681165&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mens%2Bblack%2Bleather%2Bgloves&dpPl=1&dpID=51GP2xytmuL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, currently they are recommended, but not required, so while it would certainly be awesome and more screen accurate to have them, it won't get you denied for not having them.

Gloves look plain, so I think they should work.

Draycos ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mock-up of the pants and riding seam are complete. Will probably end up being the final as the fabric is quite close (but was cheap enough to mock up with) and they look quite nice! I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do so tonight!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Smile

Hosting sites such as Imgur and Flickr are known to work. Photobucket works if you have a paid account. Google Photos can only be linked, not show up. (Unless someone knows a trick I don't).

Draycos ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Picture dump! Reply with quote

The stripe on the pants is only half sewn down at the time of these pictures hence why it is not smooth with the pants.
I am also holding the belt as it is not assembled yet. Shirt sleeve cuffs have been added since these pictures.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Smile Have you found the right boots yet or are you still looking? You look like you are heading in the right direction and will soon have this done.

Draycos ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to use the boots pictured. We are one fitting and some details (belt and waiting for the saber) from being done. I'm really excited!
Draycos ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is ready for Submission pictures! Unfortunately, still waiting on saberforge for the lightsaber...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: