Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=92816396d58eacd182566108a44b7362Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jawa WIP (with some questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akiko ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Jawa WIP (with some questions) Reply with quote

Just picked up my monks cloth and now ready to get going!

I'm working on gathering up the photos that I have for reference and will post photos by this weekend.

I am also hopping to submit this to 501st so I am working with both sets of guidelines. I think I have a pretty good handle on what is needed for both standards.

Question 1: the cloth I got was natural color, and I'm planning on dying it. Is there a particular color/shade I should aim for. I got Rite dye Coco color, but from looking online I'm worried it might be a little too red. Going to do a test dye of that and possibly go get the "dark brown" color and not use it at full strength.

Question 2: the standards say an off centered opening in the front. The photo in the rebel legion character guide seems to just be off from center by maybe a few inches, but in some of the photos it looks like they are much further to one side or the other (and does it matter what side?)

question 3: "entire costume should appear tattered and weathered." I've seen that some people have added paint to theirs. Is it more than just fraying the edges and maybe adding some light areas? I'm lucky that i live in a desert-ish environment so I can actually go out in the sand and rocks and do some distressing
Jayjan Thek (Jessie Lynch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take all this with a grain of salt (or sand) as I'm not approved yet, but this is what I've learned from my own build process.

Answer 1:
Below is the response I got about the dye color when I started out. Just make sure you leave it in long enough - it will look darker when wet, and will lighten with time and wear. I had to re-dye mine because it wasn't dark enough to start.

Amalphiea wrote:
4 RIT dark browns to 2 sunshine oranges and make sure to wash and dry because there will be fabric shrinkage.

Note: You can use 1 bottle of orange and 2 bottles of brown, if the liquid is easier to find for you than the powder. Zig zag or serge the edges of the raw fabric before you wash it, otherwise you'll be picking up little bits of fabric everywhere. I still keep finding them because I forgot to.

Answer 2:
Mine is off center to the right side, and starts right at the edge of the neck. However - I'd wait for a judge to weigh in on this information, as I'm not approved yet.

Answer 3:
I've just been picking at the edges of everything, and adding light sandy acrylic paint to the fabric with a dry brush to make it look like it has been dragged around on the ground, or I've been kneeling in sand. I'd be hesitant to use sand to weather the fabric, as it could weaken and wear it prematurely, and cause the weave of the fabric to break down and leave holes.

The sand and rocks, however, may be super useful for weathering the bandoleers.
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - WIP
Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - Planning Stages
Akiko ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this color for the eyes?

They also have yellow too

Did a test dye tonight, really happy with the color. Put on Episode IV while i was string, and I think it's pretty close to what was on screen and in the pictures.

I'll try and take a better photo, this was just done on my phone in not great light. 20180213_182316 by K LC, on Flickr
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessie is pretty dead on for her advice, but I would advise against any opening in the front if you can just go for straight up robe without any opening. It just makes it easier.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Akiko ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
Jessie is pretty dead on for her advice, but I would advise against any opening in the front if you can just go for straight up robe without any opening. It just makes it easier.

I wasn't planning on leaving it open in the front, but it is supposed to have some sort of seam correct?
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiko wrote:
Amalphiea wrote:

I wasn't planning on leaving it open in the front, but it is supposed to have some sort of seam correct?

No, it doesn't have to. This is what I used.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/2b/42/c92b4244449c44ca34dc0b80913654bf.jpg
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Akiko ()

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally back, just had some stuff come up, but I really want to get this finished up in the next 2 weeks so I might be able to be approved by our local star wars night....

So last night dyed my fabric, went much better this time (haven't taken pictures yet) added some darker brown, once I fully washed out the sample there were too many red tones in it.

Going to use the pattern from Amalphiea, or something similar. I should be able to get it sewn this weekend.

The 2 things I still need to work out are the mask/eyes and the foot wear.

Anyone know of a good mask tutorial? I'm fairly new to playing with LED's and such.
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiko wrote:
Finally back, just had some stuff come up, but I really want to get this finished up in the next 2 weeks so I might be able to be approved by our local star wars night....

So last night dyed my fabric, went much better this time (haven't taken pictures yet) added some darker brown, once I fully washed out the sample there were too many red tones in it.

Going to use the pattern from Amalphiea, or something similar. I should be able to get it sewn this weekend.

The 2 things I still need to work out are the mask/eyes and the foot wear.

Anyone know of a good mask tutorial? I'm fairly new to playing with LED's and such.

There are different options and it depends on how comfortable you are with them. One is actually built onto a mask. Another is off of a baseball hat that sits on top of your head. There are fencing and painball mask versions.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: