Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9d10697bff60bc908947131feefeb3bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A280 home made conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormageddon ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: A280 home made conversion Reply with quote

So it started out with a lot of enthusiasm, but has become a little more frustrating. I just finished cutting the larger mag to fit the well I made and it ended up too small. Not sure how I managed to measure it wrong. Will update later.
Stormageddon ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little more progress. I realize this isnít going to turn out very screen accurate, but Iím hoping itís at least passable. Once I have the foregrip installed Iím going to do a lot of cleanup, filling and adding a few details.
The main body I just a plastic air soft gun, with the usual pvc pipes attached. I took out the gearbox and put in one that had been stripped, so the gun is not operable anymore. The pipe for the barrel goes in plastic body all the way up to the front of the gearbox and so is pretty stable. I havenít glued it in so it still rotates, I havenít decided whether to keep the barrel removable or not. All the boxes, magwell and sight are mostly made out of wood with thin plastic sheets covering. It wonít be super sturdy and Iím not sure if Iíll add a sling due to this.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I always find scratch builds interesting.
JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it so far. I saw someone use round shower curtain rings to simulate the ribbed foregrip. Turned out really good.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far Smile
Even if not super ultra mega screen accurate, I also had always lots of respect for scratch build because they involve lots of skills. I still stick to that from time to time even if I use now a lot 3D printing. Wink
Stormageddon ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shower curtain rings huh? Wish Iíd thought of that. I was going to use a pvc pipe and wrap plastic strips around it for the foregrip, but I ended up buckling and buying a Remington shotgun foregrip instead. Iím pretty happy with it as it feels like itíll be very sturdy. I think the whole thing will look good once detailed and painted. My main concern is filling in the rail with something strong enough not to constantly chip. I might leave that as is for now. I can always use the excuse that the rebellion had to cobble together whatever it could find, so less standardization.
JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a really shotgun grip? I feel like that might have cost you a bit...

As far as filler goes, you need epoxy putty, especially since your m4 is plastic. Rectorseal putty can be found at home Depot for like 3 dollars and is sandable after applied. It's what people who modify nerf blasters use all the time.
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a piece of round wooden fence post and grooved it with a thin rasp.

Stormageddon ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shotgun foregrip was $20 off eBay. The only other thing I specifically bought for this was the larger magazine, an air soft M14 mag. I had the other stuff laying around the house already, though some of the pipes were for a different project gun so will have to be replaced.

Iíll try the rectorseal if I can find it. I might film in the rail groves with bits of wood first.

Iím hoping Iíll get permission to use this with my TK occasionally, captured weapons etc. if not, Iíll be happy just to have finished it. Iíve wanted a rebel blaster rifle since I saw ESB the first time around.
Stormageddon ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished. My work area is a total mess with all the sanding and cutting. I think I should have added somewhere to attach a sling. Although itís mainly plastic, after the Paddyís day parade and hanging around for 5 hours, I think it wouldíve been a pain to carry the whole time. I also wish Iíd taken the time to add some sound and lights, but maybe next time.
Stormageddon ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few more pics taken before I added a little weathering.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: