Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d18bc57a0e9f4d8b44822720e25367bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Resistance fleet officers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmStarlight ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: TLJ Resistance fleet officers Reply with quote

So, my brother and I are trying to work out the uniforms of the Resistance fleet officers seen in TLJ (Commander D'Acy and other officers seen on the bridge, etc.)

We think we've gotten the fabric for the tunic figured out to be some kind of woolen gabardine, but we're having trouble nailing down the color since in some photos it appears straight up brown and in others (like the Visual Guide) or with more natural lighting it's more of an olive or yellow brown

We're just trying to get some other thoughts from people as we get geared up for the project and before we drop a lot of money on materials that might end up being wrong.

Cheers!
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the pictures you posted are of two different costumes.

Commander D'ary from TLJ on the left

Admiral statura from TFA on the right

D'acy has the seams from the shoulder and a welt pocket and statura has princess seams that come from the armhole, he also has the rebel patch on the shoulder and a more pronounced point at the center front. His looks like a marled wool thats more yellow brown.

This back view of d'acy might help. It shows the fabric lit and the back detail

This costume also from TLJ may or may not been the same as d'acy's......but looks straight up brown.

EmStarlight ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you! I didn't realize that D'Acy and Statura were wearing different tunics.
Corvid ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Commander D'ary's jcket - do you think it's a two-panel construction for the left-hand side or is it a single panel with an additional panel sewn over the top to get that hole for the belt/additional "double breast" look? I'm still trying to sort that out myself.
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Rebel Legion Webteam

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting research on D'acy, and am looking and a wool twill olive-sh brown color. I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts on materials.

I just ordered a slew of samples. I'll post when they arrive.
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmStarlight wrote:
Ah, thank you! I didn't realize that D'Acy and Statura were wearing different tunics.

No worries Smile

Just thought I'd mention...... I happened to watched TFA again last night and If anyone does do Statura, his jacket actually looks more bit more brown on screen.

I think that the left side is just one panel with a dart at the waist...a bit like the imperial officers jackets. I found this one...it looks the same, but you never know.

With the belt panel side, there lots of ways you could do it, I'd prob leave the few inches for the belt opening open in both the lining and jacket when constructing and then sew the openings of the jacket and lining together....if that makes sense.

I think its really tricky to get the colours right before we have it on DVD/access to lots of high quality refs. Partly because they've been so tricky with the lighting in the newest films. Some pics it looks light brown, some brown, some more olive. I think it does look like awool though, its just the type? it looks more felted in TFA. Again perhaps more refs? I'd love to see those samples...be great if we can get some really good resources together for these uniforms.
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Rebel Legion Webteam

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants are dark brown, and I think the same as the support staff's trousers. Then tunics are a lighter shade. It would make sense that they would use the same style, I think.

The tunics on the sitting command staff look more like Statura than D'acy
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsu Ma'roy wrote:
The pants are dark brown, and I think the same as the support staff's trousers. Then tunics are a lighter shade. It would make sense that they would use the same style, I think.

I think you are right about the trousers, across the board its prob the same dark brown fabric....as some of the other generic officers seem to have it too.

I enlarged that pic and you can see the seamline going into the shoulder so we can rule out it being the same as jacket as statura. So it may be the same as d'acy's?
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that there is a discussion started on these costumes.

As you are all probably aware, at this time there is no costume standard for this costume.

Anyone who might want to submit one of these costumes must make sure to check the Rebel Legion charter on how costumes with no standard are handled.

When submitting a costume with no standard, the applicant must also provide images of their reference material which must include head to toe and front to back images of the costume.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Corvid ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering a camel or golden-brown wool gaberdine, based on some of the images we have. Then again, a light brown/taupe might also work.

Really depends, because there's so many different lighting sources.
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any info on either the pants color or the appropriate boots? (I've heard people speculate that the Pozu boots are acceptable, but well, speculation.)

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
Approved costumes: Jedi Knight (generic) | X-wing pilot (TLJ briefing room)
Photo by Benn Robbins Photography
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanamira wrote:
Is there any info on either the pants color or the appropriate boots? (I've heard people speculate that the Pozu boots are acceptable, but well, speculation.)

I'm not a judge..... but they do seem to be bog standard dark brown trousers across the board ie visual guide, stills, film. I'd guess gaberdine or some sort of mid weight suiting.

On the shoes, the po-zu seem to be the closest there are (depending on which officer you are doing, again refs). There was a great post about removing the stamped branding on the heel with a damp tea-towel and an iron. Visual dictonary shows some dark brown, some look black, some lighter brown. So go by the refs for whichever you are building.

On the point of the shoes if anyone finds anything that might work or be convertable for size 7 and down please post up. Smile
Xavier Noloc (Xavier Colon)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
Katsu Ma'roy wrote:

I think you are right about the trousers, across the board its prob the same dark brown fabric....as some of the other generic officers seem to have it too.

I enlarged that pic and you can see the seamline going into the shoulder so we can rule out it being the same as jacket as statura. So it may be the same as d'acy's?

What about the Admiral sitting to that guy's right? She doesn't have that seam, so it's plausible that she has a Statura-style tunic, right? Thoughts?
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier Noloc wrote:

What about the Admiral sitting to that guy's right? She doesn't have that seam, so it's plausible that she has a Statura-style tunic, right? Thoughts?[/quote]

Honestly, it might be? There's been so much mix and match across the officer costumes for the new films the only way to really be certain is with clear refs. But if you want to do the statura type tunic there's plenty of refs for that one.
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are screengrabs, now that the blu-ray is out? (One of our Base members was going to do it, but then got derailed by medical issues.)

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
Approved costumes: Jedi Knight (generic) | X-wing pilot (TLJ briefing room)
Photo by Benn Robbins Photography
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: