Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=531c45edf1b7adb72aabfa30d045ad1bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey scavenger build thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbow_Ninja ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Rey scavenger build thread Reply with quote

Hi! I'd like to get a little advice on my costume build here please? I've been working on it a while but understandably have kicked it into high gear for this week. Here's what I've got so far, 'soft' part wise (husband is working on belt and wrist bracer):

Clothing set

Shirt

Pants

With better colour:

Boot build before:

Boot build after:

Boot back:

Questions:

1. I've got the pearl grey dye for the sleeve wraps. Does the top need to be dyed as well?
2. Do the boots look okay? There are all sorts of lighting issues from different sources on the leather part, so I tried to go with 'a shade lighter than the boot' per the standard. Hope it's all right.

Thank you for your feedback!
Mia
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ! you have done well, good job on the boots ! Very Happy

I think you'll need to dye the leather part anyway, it's too light brown. Try to use some eco gel antique dark brown. It will age your leather and keep the brown in it with no undertone.

The tabards color are a mix of tan and taupe, this last is the best dye to use to get the scavenger look. I recommend you to purchase the rit liquid dye, it work great!
Don't dye the shirt, it's supposed to be off-white and heavily weathered (with black acrylic mixed with water for exemple that you spray lightly on some specific places such as sleeves, bottom and henley neck). Yours looks cream/yellow color, is it a light issue or does it look like it in person ? If so, you might better dye it then or change the shirt.

For the pant it look a bit dark... but I will confirm it later when your tabards will be finished.

I hope this will help you

MTFBWY
rainbow_Ninja ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information! I will try and get the heel a bit darker.

First off I went outside and took a pic of the shirt in more natural light, hopefully that will give you a better idea? I've attached the other parts I currently have and gave them more direct light - crinkle cotton tabards from JoAnn and also the part of my belt that my husband has worked on. The edges still have to be tamped down and dyed.

I will start to work on the dye process shortly!

Thank you!
rainbow_Ninja ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

After taking some advice and review, I went through and tweaking a few things per your suggestions.

First, the boots - darkened the leather back more!

Then I decided the khaki crinkle was too dark when I tried to dye a swatch of it. I headed to JoAnns and came back with a pale cream crinkle tabard, taupe and the opal grey dyes as suggested on these forums. After submersing for anyone from 5-25 seconds (and more dependent on the parts), I got some good results!

Once dry, I put them all up on my mannequin and thought I'd give it a shot to see how it looks coming together. The belt still has to be finished along the top, but you can see a more whitish grey tone to the shirt, definitely matching the darker shades for the long cloth wraps and that arm tabards pinned here, per the standard! Any suggestions? I need to get to weathering next if the colors look okay.

rainbow_Ninja ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other suggestions before I submit this? Please?
SkyHawk ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shirt looks light in the photo, but you'll probably want someone else's opinion as well.
The wrap looks really nice!
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors are nice, but I suggest you to weathered more your shirt (if it's not done yet and do not show on this pic. I understand that there might be some lighting issue)

Do you have a better pic of the outfit? I'm not sure about the color of the pant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: