Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=df635f6bcf855676570cae1b1276c4f8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Princess Leia comic jumpsuit and cloak outfit - help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great! I can't wait to see more of your progress.

I would lean towards wrapping the ends of the hood around to hide the seams. It would look more seamless that way.

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
RacheLeia (Rachel Folmar)
Active Legion Member

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SongofAmazon!

Alright, so I did a test run for the cloak out of muslin. I ended up doing kind of a combination of the two different methods I thought of, but I can continue to play around with it based on everyone's feedback.

Upon further review of the the Princess Leia comic, I noticed that in close-ups, it really looks like the ends of the cowl continued around the back, draping over the shoulders just a little bit. And there were definitely at least one more drape in the back than just the hood. Here's some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about:

In the above picture, you can see the hood at the top, and then some more fabric draping below it. The cowl also appears to drape over the shoulders.

The above picture from the side gives an even better view. Here the hood is up, but the cowl clearly wraps around the back underneath it.

Here are a few more pictures that appear to show the same thing:

Based on these images (and some others in the comic as well), I decided I'd make my first draft with the muslin to match this as well as I could, with the cowl continuing around to meet in the back and hang down underneath the hood. Here are some pictures of me in the muslin cowl with the jumpsuit underneath (the latter isn't yet in prime condition - I didn't focus on arranging it just right or smoothing out wrinkles, and there's still a few corners of the patches that need to be reattached — just wanted to get a feel for what the cloak would look like on top of it):

Besides the fact that the material is a little stiff due to being muslin instead of the polyester gabardine I will be using, how does this look? Does that look sufficiently like the pictures from the comic, or should I try a different tack? Should I make the back of the cowl shorter or is that length good?

The one thing I don't like as much is how it looks in the back with the hood up:

Now, I could definitely tack the top of it to the place where the hood attaches to the cloak so that there's no awkward little triangle of the cloak showing underneath. (I was planning to do that but forgot before I took the pictures.)

But I'm also wondering if I should change the whole shape of the back of the cowl, making the top part longer; that way it has more of a cowl-like drape in the back, too, instead of laying flat. If that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question — how does the shape of the hood look? I was thinking I might try making it a little bigger (especially in the front), but I'm not sure.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more thing, for anyone else who's looking at making this: I ended up using a different pattern for the cloak, Simplicity 1771 (https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-1771-misses-and-mens-costume/1771.html#q=1771&start=1). The cloak was the right shape and length, so that made it easier. For the hood and cowl, I combined the S1771 hood pattern with the McCall's M7202 version D hood/scarf and used my imagination. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great! I'm not doing the cape version but I am loving the work you did on your bodysuit! My friend and I have been putting mine together over the last few weeks and using your photos as reference. Not too many others have made this costume, that I have seen anyway, so it's nice to see how others accomplished the same thing.

Where did you find your gloves? That's the last piece we need before I can submit. Shocked
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
SongofAmazon (Jenna)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great!

I think, on the whole, it needs a bit of ironing. Especially the cape seems to be prone to wrinkles. I would also tack down your front center strip on your jumpsuit. It looks like it wants to fly away.

For the hood shape, I would probably want to add a rectangular strip down the center to make it look more rounded on your head. Of course there aren't any seams in the comics, but that might help it look smoother. Here's a cool diagram of hood shapes, if that helps:

Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall it looks good. Smile I would also do something about the little triangle in the back when the hood is up, but generally the length of the cowl looks pretty good.
And yes, I think the hood could be a bit larger.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora — thank you so much!! I got Leather Mystics brand Leather Gauntlet Gloves in Tobacco Brown on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gauntlet-Gloves-TOBACCO-BROWN/dp/B00ZOH8Z6U/ref=sr_1_68?srs=11734820011&ie=UTF8&qid=1517956968&sr=8-68). They're a little dark, so I'm planning on dying them lighter to match my vest with Tarrago Self Shine Color Dye (not sure yet which color — maybe Oak, Camel or Sand?). Tarrago leather dye is one of the only ones I've heard of that is supposed to be able to dye darker colors lighter, but the Leather Mystics brand carries those leather gloves in white, too, so if you want you could get those and then dye them darker with another leather dye. I'd love to hear what you decide to do as I'm still trying to figure it out! (And I'd love to see your costume too!) Best of luck to you!!

Edit: I just got ordered some Tarrago leather dye in Camel. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jenna, thanks so much again for the feedback! Don't worry; I will absolutely iron the final costume! To reiterate, the cape pictured is just a practice run in muslin, not the final gabardine cloak. And like I said, there are a few corners of things on the jumpsuit that I need to resew, so not to worry there, either — it will be taken care of! Thanks for the advice on the hood and the helpful diagram — I will try adding that middle strip! You're right, I think that will make the shape look better.

Last edited by RacheLeia (Rachel Folmar) on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker — whoops, I missed your reply while I was writing my last one! Thank you so much for the feedback on the hood/cowl! I'm so glad the length of the cowl looks good to you! I will definitely tack the back of it in place then so that little triangle isn't there, and I'll make the hood larger. Thanks!!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I finally got around to remaking the prototype hood. I used some of the muslin I had left to make it, but I didn't have enough for the full cowl, so I left the original hood on the cloak and sewed this hood on behind it, if that makes sense, so I could play around with them both and wrap the old cowl around the new one. Consequently, be advised that the cowl doesn't look quite right because it isn't, haha!

Anyway, here's what I did to the hood: 1) I made a larger, better-shaped pattern, and 2) I took Jenna's advice and cut out a four-inch strip for the middle, in hopes of making the hood less pointed. I think it worked! What do you all think?

(I should note that I'm mainly looking for feedback on the size and shape of the hood with these pictures — again, this is a muslin prototype, the cowl isn't laying right, it's not tacked down in the back, and the whole thing is a wrinkled mess. Improvements and the gabardine version will be forthcoming!)

SongofAmazon (Jenna)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! That hood shape looks a lot closer to what you were trying for.

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shape and size looks very nice, imo. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Jenna and Lora! Glad to hear it! Going to start the final gabardine cloak tonight! Smile

LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for the glove info! I got a slightly different colored pair as they wouldn't have matched my boots but your info gave me the direction I needed. Your cloak is looking wonderful, by the way. Great job!
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again! It's been awhile, but I'm 97% finished with my gabardine cloak, and I went ahead and wore it to an event with my SW cosplay group last weekend. I really like how it looks overall. The gabardine is perfect, I'm happy with how it drapes, and I'm happy with the hood.

As I was playing around with how to close the cloak in the front underneath the cowl, I realized that just doing a hook & eye closure would close it too tight, causing the closure and the taught fabric around it to show above the cowl. Consequently, I used some extra material to sew on ties. That way I can adjust the circumference of the neck to allow it to drape just right.

I realized at the event that I'm going to need to figure out some way to hide the ends of those ties, though (you can see one of them hanging down prominently in the pictures below — *face palm*). I'm currently thinking of sewing in little pockets or loops in the underside of the cowl to tuck them in so that they're hidden.

One unintended consequence of making the neck wider is that the cloak now hangs down a little longer than my trial muslin one did. It still seems to fall within the range stated in the standard of mid-calf to ankle length, but I just wanted to check that it looks good to you all, too.

I took off about an inch and a half from the length of my belt, as it was hanging way too low before. What do you all think of how it looks in the images below? Should I cut it even smaller? It still feels like it has room to spare, and I'm thinking I might adjust the angle in the back so it lays more flat against me — that's something that you can't see with the cloak on, but it will keep it from sliding lower like it seems to in a few of the pictures.

My husband has volunteered to machine some buckles and other metal bits to replace the ones I currently have, which were cut out of aluminum with tin snips and have a rather unfinished look up close that I'm not super satisfied with. The button attaching the holster to the back of the belt also popped off at a con last year so it's currently being held on with duck tape! So I'm looking forward to getting a much better working set of buckles, hopefully soon.

Unfortunately there are no good pictures of the back or even of the sides, but I will take some as soon as I can and share them here. For now, here's a few of the pictures from the event:

And my favorite:

I'm going to be taking a break on this costume for the rest of this month, as I'm going to attempt to blitz my way through a RL-approvable Senatorial Leia costume which I want to have done in time for the Solo premiere (I'll be starting another thread for that one soon). But I will be back to work on this one after that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: