Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=285239a8c82d2bec0c53a66d2fde0b8bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Pilots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TLJ Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
What do you guys think of this for the fabric?

Solarium Colefax Canary:

There's also Solarium Forsyth Soleil but it might be a little bit too bright...

http://www.solariumfabrics.com/fabric-library/

Solarium Colefax Canary looks good imho. Is this coated nylon as well Alex?
krieger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskevin wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
What do you guys think of this for the fabric?

Solarium Colefax Canary:

There's also Solarium Forsyth Soleil but it might be a little bit too bright...

http://www.solariumfabrics.com/fabric-library/

I like the Colefax Canary as well
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't realize we have a TLJ sub forum now haha! Was looking for this thread and refreshed the page serveral times. I thought this got deleted!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskevin wrote:

I wouldn't imagine that it is. Solarium Solar Cherry is used for many of the Resistance X-wing pilot costumes that members have made here, so I would imagine that the Colefax Canary is the same thing as the Solar Cherry, just a different color. Even my TFA X-wing pilot costume is made of Solarium Solar Cherry.

From my experience so far the Solar Cherry, at least, works well for the suits, even though it's an outdoor fabric. My biggest complaint is that it ravels like mad so you have to be careful with the edges and make sure that the edges are protected. You can iron the material but only cold iron, otherwise it will melt because it's a plastic-based fabric somewhat similar to webbing. But yeah, I believe that most of the Resistance X-wing pilot costumers in the RL use the Solar Cherry and I haven't heard of any issues with it.

Here's a listing for the Solar Cherry if it helps any for fabric specs... http://www.joann.com/solarium-solar-54in-cherry/1887850.html

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskevin wrote:
I just went fabric hunting and got a sample of this fabric. While its not nylon, but the overall texture feels and looks good. And its uncoated so it can be dyed. Will try dying it with my left over dye. Definitely will be something more comfortable than the 1000D Nylon Cordura.

What do you guys think?

Is that the polyethylene or is it cotton duck? Hard to tell. If it's poly, then you'll need polyester dye..... cotton can use regular dye.

I am with Denny: hold off until a good poly can be sourced, maybe even colored by the manufacturer. If it's the same weight as the polyethylene that I've been using on my X-wing suits, then it should wear well.

I don't see how some folks have survived troops in the coated Cordura! That stuff's gotta be like an oven to wear.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
thisiskevin wrote:
I just went fabric hunting and got a sample of this fabric. While its not nylon, but the overall texture feels and looks good. And its uncoated so it can be dyed. Will try dying it with my left over dye. Definitely will be something more comfortable than the 1000D Nylon Cordura.

What do you guys think?

Is that the polyethylene or is it cotton duck? Hard to tell. If it's poly, then you'll need polyester dye..... cotton can use regular dye.

I am with Denny: hold off until a good poly can be sourced, maybe even colored by the manufacturer. If it's the same weight as the polyethylene that I've been using on my X-wing suits, then it should wear well.

I don't see how some folks have survived troops in the coated Cordura! That stuff's gotta be like an oven to wear.

Phil: yeah mine is cordura, and i nearly passed out on my first troop haha! Had to take my bucket off. I forgot the type of fabric that i got, but i dyed it red with my leftover idye poly red. Will take photo of the sample when i get back home tonight.
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a progress of my chestbox, hand for scale Smile

Edit: looking back to the reference pics, i think i need to scale it up by at least 10%

smoothrat (David Lindabury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskevin wrote:
Edit: looking back to the reference pics, i think i need to scale it up by at least 10%

Looking good!

Any plans for the hose attachments at the top? I noticed that Paige's mask is plugged in on her right, while Nix Jerd's is on his left.
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothrat wrote:
thisiskevin wrote:

Looking good!

Any plans for the hose attachments at the top? I noticed that Paige's mask is plugged in on her right, while Nix Jerd's is on his left.

in the end i guess i will release few version of the body for hose attachment. What i can do is make 1 version with a deeper hole for hose on top left and another one with deeper hole on the right. That should fix the problem ya.
ywingfighter (Frank)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is interessted the hoses are from German Gasmask from the sixtees!
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ywingfighter wrote:
For anyone who is interessted the hoses are from German Gasmask from the sixtees!

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know man!
GTR2-D2 (Danny Chen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all should join the FB Resistance Pilot /Paige Gunner build group. Aside from Denny I don't recognize any of your other names in that group. Would be nice to get all heads together on these costumes. We've been ahead of this thread in identifying parts,materials and build progress. I have the screen accurate ruffle elastic on my suit already and more on order. my wife (Jynger) just started on her A-wing. Since it used her x-wing chestbox and doesn't have a flightcap. She should be submitting as early as next week.

@ThisIsKevin, are the chestboxes available for sale yet? That, the flightcap and a few loose ends is all I'm missing for submission.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the FB group and you guys def have gotten a lot done.

I have a buddy modeling the helmet, has anyone started on it there?
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTR2-D2 wrote:
You all should join the FB Resistance Pilot /Paige Gunner build group. Aside from Denny I don't recognize any of your other names in that group. Would be nice to get all heads together on these costumes. We've been ahead of this thread in identifying parts,materials and build progress. I have the screen accurate ruffle elastic on my suit already and more on order. my wife (Jynger) just started on her A-wing. Since it used her x-wing chestbox and doesn't have a flightcap. She should be submitting as early as next week.

@ThisIsKevin, are the chestboxes available for sale yet? That, the flightcap and a few loose ends is all I'm missing for submission.

Applied to join the group.

Chestbox: i need to fix the scale first, give me about a week to fix the prototype Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TLJ Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: