Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5978032b5d09ac2e89f8e8382a45e5baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Republic pilot dress uniform WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: New Republic pilot dress uniform WIP Reply with quote

I've been saying I'd do this for years, and the time has finally come (you can blame Gregor and Lisa for making this jacket terribly on theme for their wedding).

Currently in my possession: Black boots, black turtleneck unitard. Obviously I'm doing the unitard because it's what Aaron Allston would have wanted. Also, a fair amount of heavy slightly off-white twill (because it will photograph better than bright white) and red silk charmeuse because I'm lining this jacket in red and nobody can stop meeeeeee. This is going to be a proper jacket and it's going to be beautiful. Also, some grey cotton sateen for the belt.

Currently finished: Just the mockup, but I am in love with the fit here.

I expect to get some actual work done on the jacket next week. All I really need to figure out is the rank badge, but I've got a coworker with a laser cutter so hopefully he can help me out. Very Happy

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Republic pilot dress uniform WIP Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Obviously I'm doing the unitard because it's what Aaron Allston would have wanted. Very Happy

Thumbs up

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress: I cut out all of my fabric, and sewed together some of the most infuriating parts. Silk charmeuse is the literal worst but it's sooooooooooooooo niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. As I said while I sewed, "This is not a complicated costume, so naturally I'm making it complicated." I can't help it you guys, I'm a slave to my pretty princess instincts BUT I will have the snazziest jacket in the world at the end, so I have that going for me.

Also, I did my work at the House of Sink and found our old sewing supervisor from the TFA build, good old Sew Dameron to guide me through.

I got through all my princess seams, thank goodness. I have yet to set the sleeves but it was getting late and that's when it's time to say "no, I love myself too much to try this already frustrating process on the slipperiest fabric known to man right now."

I should have more sewing time this weekend. It's gonna be so pretty, I can't wait. <3

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is 100% unhemmed and definitely needs to be at least six inches shorter, but guess who procrastinated a lot and then made a crap ton of progress in one day??

And not that it's at all relevant to the costume itself but GUYS I wanted to color match the red stripe to my bridesmaid dress and LOOOOOOK.

That lining was hell to make but oh so worth it, it's so soft, and looks so good. I would have taken lining photos, but I haven't sewn down the facings yet.

Final finishings/belt/actually fetching my unitard from storage/sourcing a rank badge will happen after the wedding but for now, I am quite happy with how it looks. Thank goodness for a three hour car drive so I can finish hemming everything....

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hazard Wedding has come and gone, and the jacket made it, all hemmed and trimmed! All that remains are closures, finishing up the belt, and the badge (which Blair will be providing the 3D print files for, such amazing timing!). I hope to take it out for a full debut at WonderCon at the end of next month; I'm sure between now and then I'll be able to dig out the box that contains my unitard, hahaha.

Also documenting because this is the best hair I will ever have with this costume.

Annnnnd the only full length of the coat I have right now; I do have a nice one coming later from the photographer, though!

Good times were had by all, and it was really effing cold so I'm very glad I had an on-theme coat!

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I swear this weekend I'm going to go find my unitard and I'll stop spamming this thread with wedding pictures, but

Actual pilot likely to make its debut at WonderCon; I've got a coworker lined up to print me a badge once Blair's file is available. Oh yeah, and I'll get some dress hooks/snaps and finish the belt/closures.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that Twilight Sparkle has also made an appearance. Cool

Yes, I know MLP:FIM references and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: