Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5aa76ee6da45017cef3e8e5dd5e89632Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2018 Rebel (OT) X-Wing Pilot Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treblemaker (Carly Kennedy)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: 2018 Rebel (OT) X-Wing Pilot Build Reply with quote

Hello incoming pilots! Welcome to the main thread for discussion regarding our group build project!

If you haven’t yet, please fill out this form!

Project leads: treblemaker/Carly Kennedy (Freedom) and hawaiipaddler1/Joy Hargraves (Terrapin)

Additional pilots offering support: RebelFlightTest/Randy Ward (Terrapin)

Those who have expressed interest in participating thus far:
Punisha
Niel Uma-Yann
Solfrann
erictank
Shivannd
Jayjan Thek
Mnt33r
SunWolfe
kievanmereel
Mleech77
chaosbria
Crazyjediman24
Luke Warmwater
stan#50
Expload
jyn-ah mairo
QuinnzillA91197
crashmann

midichlorianlori - helmet specifically
Jedi Unggoy - R1 Blue Squadron
Bouri-Plwel - Resistance Pilot

All participants will be given access to a Google Drive folder that includes documents such as the breakdown I have a partial screenshot of below, completion checklist, and whatever else might come up!

Costume Approval Requirements

Costume Reference Images and Diagrams

Here is the current overview I’m looking at. I’ll be running this sort of like a book club, that is “have x items by x date.”

Cost estimates are predominately based on ordering pieces from vendors, if you are able to make pieces such as the flightsuit yourself, that will bring down the cost.

Folks should be able to team up on the belt & ejection harness – one roll of webbing can go a ways! Start thinking about that now, if there are members willing to help with sewing those pieces.

I’m pleased to let everyone know that erictank, mleech77, and jonhaag, three of our resident members with 3D printers, have agreed to be listed as potential contacts for printing some pieces with patterns available. Please respect that they do have other projects going on and may not be immediately available! If you have a 3D printer and are also willing to be listed as a contact for people to reach out to, please let me know and I’ll get you added to the list!

We’re starting off with the flightsuit and flak vest, which are the core of the costume, and the flak vest can be one of the most difficult/expensive (depending on if you make your own or purchase it).

We’ll be doing the belts with the accurate belt buckles. As such, the mini-flares and helmet won’t be required for approval. Those items are noted in blue on my spreadsheets, and will be saved for last for those who wish to include them. (Yes, I’m sure most of you will want helmets, but they technically aren’t required, so: best for last!)

We’ll also be wrapping out the project with building/painting parties for pieces such as the chest box and helmet. Please let me know if you’d be willing to host such a party or two in your region!

Final notes for now:
•This is a no/low negativity zone! I don’t want to hear any nay-sayers unless you’re also going to provide some positive alternatives or solutions!
•Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions!
•Let’s all work together!

Starfighter Command Instagram
Starfighter Command Public Facebook
Starfighter Command Members Facebook

Last edited by treblemaker (Carly Kennedy) on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
mleech77 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to helping y’all out with this. I may decide to build one as well, who knows.
Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification is this for the OT version or TFA/TLJ version of the pilot? you may have some more participants based on that

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
Just for clarification is this for the OT version or TFA/TLJ version of the pilot? you may have some more participants based on that

Ah, roger that, I was saying "Rebel" but I've added "OT" to clarify.

Maybe a Resistance build in the future. Smile

chaosbria (Bria LaVorgna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to making an account here. Razz

If I can get more precise measurements than what that one ejection harness guide has, I should be able to help folks out with sewing those pretty easily (and likely the belt too.) I may also be able to help with the leg flare holder... just have to check make sure the one I made last month passes muster.
Just Ducky (Jessie Lynch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to this Smile

I've got a handful of the parts already, and will just need to take stock of what I have and what I still need. Taking a look at the checklist you have created, it is absolutely AWESOME and does a great job of breaking the Standard/Requirements down into a digestible format.

I'm going to have to borrow that idea for working on my husband's Clone armor to make sure we don't miss anything.

Hoping my new (smaller) helmet kit comes in soon - I ordered it the other day, and I'm looking forward to getting to assemble and paint another one Smile
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - Fable "Needles" Thek (Human), Kara'tau Daucus (Twi'lek)
Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - Phine'aduula Brolen

WIP: Battle Handmaid, Clone Pilot, Blue Squad Pilot, Snowspeeder Pilot
Legion XO
Legion XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treblemaker wrote:
Bouri-Plwel wrote:

Ah, roger that, I was saying "Rebel" but I've added "OT" to clarify.

Maybe a Resistance build in the future. Smile

FYI...Kashyyyk Base just did a massive group build for the Resistance Pilot costume.....they just supplied me all their sources, links, prices etc. for all the pieces they did.....that, along with what Nick already has....should have us set up pretty good

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Legion XO
Legion XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayjan Thek wrote:

I've got a handful of the parts already, and will just need to take stock of what I have and what I still need. Taking a look at the checklist you have created, it is absolutely AWESOME and does a great job of breaking the Standard/Requirements down into a digestible format.

I'm going to have to borrow that idea for working on my husband's Clone armor to make sure we don't miss anything.

Hoping my new (smaller) helmet kit comes in soon - I ordered it the other day, and I'm looking forward to getting to assemble and paint another one Smile

If you are looking for a smaller kit? I already have one put together (the one I currently use) that is Freedom Base themed already but can easily be repainted...it is too small for my big head....if you have a larger one on hand already maybe we could discuss a swap....i need a bigger bucket

Just Ducky (Jessie Lynch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
Jayjan Thek wrote:

If you are looking for a smaller kit? I already have one put together (the one I currently use) that is Freedom Base themed already but can easily be repainted...it is too small for my big head....if you have a larger one on hand already maybe we could discuss a swap....i need a bigger bucket

I actually already put in the order for the new little helmet kit the other day, and I have the bigger helmet, but I'm really attached to the paint job I did for it so I was planning on keeping it for a display/decoration piece.... currently it is acting as the tree topper on my Christmas tree...

Sorry.
Jawa - Duk'ki
OT Rebel Pilot - Fable "Needles" Thek (Human), Kara'tau Daucus (Twi'lek)
Twi'lek Jedi Librarian - Phine'aduula Brolen

WIP: Battle Handmaid, Clone Pilot, Blue Squad Pilot, Snowspeeder Pilot
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bria- Welcome aboard! We any assistance you’re up for! Do you mean precise measurements per person, or more precise regarding approval?

Jessie– Thanks! I’m glad that the spreadsheet will be a helpful tool, and if it can inspire other people with breakdowns for their projects, so much the better! (ps: I'm working on a Clone too, yay!)

Rick– That sound awesome! I certainly understand if you want to go ahead and start on your own, but would greatly appreciate any info/etc you can provide for a future group project!

All: Go ahead and start a row for yourself on the completion checklist!

chaosbria (Bria LaVorgna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little bit of both? I'm assuming that the leg straps are going to be fairly standard and that the biggest change will be the long one dependent on height? The measurements of each piece of someone's existing harness would probably be the best place to start though.
Luke Warmwater (Clark Oliver)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. My wife, former Freedom Base CO burntthemacaroni, wants a pilot uniform. She'll make her soft parts and I'll do the hard parts. We'll need a helmet kit, chestbox kit, and the greeblies.
Base Membership Officer

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaosbria wrote:
Maybe a little bit of both? I'm assuming that the leg straps are going to be fairly standard and that the biggest change will be the long one dependent on height? The measurements of each piece of someone's existing harness would probably be the best place to start though.

Gotcha! Yeah the biggest difference should be dependent on height unless we need to adjust for someone with wider legs. I can check the measurements on my own harness. Feel free to nudge me if I don't do that in the next couple of days.

Luke Warmwater wrote:
I'm in. My wife, former Freedom Base CO burntthemacaroni, wants a pilot uniform. She'll make her soft parts and I'll do the hard parts. We'll need a helmet kit, chestbox kit, and the greeblies.

Welcome aboard to you both! I've sent you the info for our google drive folder. Just send me her email address if she'd like direct access to the folder as well!

erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my items updated on the spreadsheet. It's a little sobering to realize that I haven't bought anything for the OT X-Wing pilot for about a year, most of it before that, and I'm THAT CLOSE to being done with it without having finished it yet.

I have a test-print in progress for one of the commpad files you found, which should be done by the time I get home today, I think. Sometime this evening, anyways. I will post a review and photos once it's done. I suppose I'll have to weigh it and see how much plastic is used - or actually, I can call that up on Cura, which I need to do anyways to get the print time.

Incidentally, this means I have an old resin commpad that I will not be using. It's a little small for my arm (pretty steep curve on the base part for someone my size). It'll be cheap, if someone wants to buy it from me.
stan#50 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan50 standing by Smile Excited to be a part of this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: