Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf6a9eedc116d88bebfd9bbc7be14234Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New Standard] Rey - TLJ Battle Outfit - Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: [New Standard] Rey - TLJ Battle Outfit - Discussion Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

The Costume Standards Committee has proposed the New Standard for Rey TLJ - Crait Version

Author: Dawn Bright (Kylo Ren)

Debate time: 3 weeks

End Date: 01/25/2017

New Proposal:

Proposed Standard

Face and Hair

-Hair is brown with small pony tail at top of the head (two small wraps 2 inches apart preferred).

Undershirt

-Undershirt is white or off-white, sleeveless with a V neck.

Tunic

-Tunic is adorned with a diamond shaped pattern, weave is laid over the base material and sewn to the base material. Color is a dark brown (Chocolate Brown)
-The tunic is constructed as follows
-Tunic wraps right over left.
*Four bell shaped panels below the obi. Two panels attach in the front overlapping,
*Two panels attached at the back .
-Panels end at the mid thigh.
-Yoke at the back of the tunic at or just above the shoulder blades.

Obi

-Obi is a dark Grey. A shade darker than the tabards.
-Self folding style obi and is between 5 and 8 inches wide.
-There are no visible closures on the obi.

Tabards

-Tabards are a Grey colored thin (gauze or gauze like) material.
-Tabards are wrinkled and wrap around both breasts under the obi and belt.
-The tabards fall to the lower knee on the costumers left and wraps continuously.
-The costumers right side the wrap ends fall to below the costumers knee and the back of the wrap falls to the costumers mid calf.
-On the back the tabards do not cross.

Belt

-Belt is a Brown to dark brown weathered belt.
-Belt is constructed of one continuous piece of leather.
-Two d-rings on ends.
-Two tan wrapped twine sections are attached to the belt wrapping around the open sections.
-Belt is approximately two inches at the top and 1.5 inches at the bottom (3.5 inches at the conjoined part)

Pants

-Pants are a Greyish Tan color. (They are lighter than the tabards)
-Pants feature two darts on each side of the leg and a wrapping seam at the top of the knee and a straight seam at or just below the knee.
-The bottom seam does not continue around the back of the leg.
-There is a single seam at the top of the arched seam that is sewn vertical it continues to the top of the pants.
Armwraps

-Armwraps are made from a tan colored gauze.
-Tips of the wraps are off colored and darker than the base wraps.
-The wraps are tight to the arms.
-The wraps begin at the bicep.

Arm bracer

-The bracer is a medium brown with a slightly lighter brown interior.
-The bracer is located on the costumers left arm.

Boots

-Boots are a brown leather
-Four leather hooks hold the laces onto the back of the boot.
-The boot features a front center seam that voids at the lower section.

Yours!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

Last edited by Oraculo (Agustín) on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts/suggestions:

-for the undershirt, recommend blanket stitching on the edges (not required)

-I think the tunic yoke should be optional (I.e. recommended in the standard but not required.) Badly made yokes will look much worse than omitting it, and hair makes it difficult to see in that area anyway. Not having it won't detract from the costume, in my opinion.

-I wouldn't call the tunic chocolate brown, but perhaps instead "a cool dark brown". The color is grayish greenish rather than warm and chocolatey.

-it should be noted that the wrap/tabbards cross right over left in the front. (I have to ask for that change a lot in judging)

-belt description doesn't mention the slits/weaving closure in the back and probably should

-I believe a holster (no blaster) with thigh strap should be required. She is never seen without it. Rey judges have been requiring it so far.

-pants color is gray, not tan. Maybe a warming gray, or "gray or cool taupe". Not tan.

-the vertical seam on the pants has a row of top stitching on each side (this could perhaps be recommended but not required)

-I would call the arm wrap color "off white or cream" rather than tan. They are more a dingy gray than yellowy, to my eye.

-is more detail about the bracer needed? I suggest copying language about how it folds from the Jakku standard

-boots have 5 leather loops in the back, not 4. I would also suggest more detail about what the back of the boot looks like.
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poking in for some stuff Very Happy Good spot Jenna! I think I went a bit intense on the color originally! After we all found the screen used fabric I think an adjustment should be made.
However I feel that personally we should just go with brown. IMHO I think the shade is a red toned brown? But really I would just put "Brown".

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face and Hair

-Hair is brown with small pony tail at top of the head (two small wraps 2 inches apart preferred).

Undershirt

-Undershirt is white or off-white, sleeveless with a V neck.
Optional: blanket stitch on edges.

Tunic

-Tunic is brown and adorned with a diamond shaped pattern, weave is laid over the base material and sewn to the base material.
*Four bell shaped panels below the obi. Two panels attach in the front overlapping,
-Optional: Yoke at the back of the tunic at or just above the shoulder blades.

Obi

Tabards

-Cross right over left in the front.
-The tabards fall to the lower knee on the costumers left and wraps continuously.
-The costumers right side the wrap ends fall to below the costumers knee and the back of the wrap falls to the costumers mid calf.

Belt

-Two d-rings on ends.
-Two tan wrapped twine sections are attached to the belt wrapping around the open sections.
-Belt is approximately two inches at the top and 1.5 inches at the bottom (3.5 inches at the conjoined part)
-Belt features tabs that weave into the back of the belt to hold firmly closed.

Pants

-Pants are a Grey in color and lighter than the tabards.
-Pants feature two darts on each side of the leg and a wrapping seam at the top of the knee and a straight seam at or just below the knee.
-There is a single seam at the top of the arched seam that is sewn vertical it continues to the top of the pants.

Armwraps

-Armwraps are made from an off white colored gauze.

Arm bracer

Boots

-Boots are a brown leather.
-Five leather hooks hold the laces onto the back of the boot.

Holster

-brown leather holster attached to belt.
-Holster is simple and void of decoration.
-Small strap wraps around costumers right leg.

Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeniwan wrote:
Some thoughts/suggestions:

-for the undershirt, recommend blanket stitching on the edges (not required)

-I think the tunic yoke should be optional (I.e. recommended in the standard but not required.) Badly made yokes will look much worse than omitting it, and hair makes it difficult to see in that area anyway. Not having it won't detract from the costume, in my opinion.

-I wouldn't call the tunic chocolate brown, but perhaps instead "a cool dark brown". The color is grayish greenish rather than warm and chocolatey.

-it should be noted that the wrap/tabbards cross right over left in the front. (I have to ask for that change a lot in judging)

-belt description doesn't mention the slits/weaving closure in the back and probably should

-I believe a holster (no blaster) with thigh strap should be required. She is never seen without it. Rey judges have been requiring it so far.

-pants color is gray, not tan. Maybe a warming gray, or "gray or cool taupe". Not tan.

-the vertical seam on the pants has a row of top stitching on each side (this could perhaps be recommended but not required)

-I would call the arm wrap color "off white or cream" rather than tan. They are more a dingy gray than yellowy, to my eye.

-is more detail about the bracer needed? I suggest copying language about how it folds from the Jakku standard

-boots have 5 leather loops in the back, not 4. I would also suggest more detail about what the back of the boot looks like.

Thank you Jenna!!! Your suggestions are fantastic!

Yours!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with the original assessment of having a range for the pants but maybe saying taupe instead of tan? Because I agree that they were not straight gray in many lights.

Also I’m not sure if this can be changed but really unsure of calling it Crait Rey. She really wears the costume for a hot minute there and I’m worried that people searching for the standard might not be googling or looking for something to do with Crait. Jedi Rey. Battle Rey. Throne Room Rey even. I feel might reflect more what she actually did in this costume to help people find it. But! If it stays Crait, I’m not gonna be mad or anything lol.

Otherwise I think this looks great. I’m excited for the Standard to be in place.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will preface my thoughts by saying I am a member of a Facebook Group on Rey costuming and while we, the Rebel Legion, strive for screen accuracy, I know there have been some instances in which we sacrifice accuracy for what can be achieved in the real world. (If interested, the instance I am referring to is the Cloud City Leia, we allow the spoonflower printed fabric, which uses incorrect colors, in place of the screen accurate embroidery.) Personally I strive for ABSOLUTE ACCURACY, however if we set the bar that high quite a lot of people may choose not to join. I'm not trying to start an off topic discussion, I just wanted you guys to know where my thoughts are as I'm typing this.

TUNIC FABRIC: I think it should read. "Brown with a medium scale raised diamond pattern."

As I type, the original fabric, that is currently being described, is out of stock. If we are so specific as "....weave is laid over base material and sewn to the base material " then only those who currently have that fabric in their possession can create this version of Rey. There are many very good alternatives to the original that from camera distance look amazingly close, but they are not constructed as described.

BELT: I think this should read "conjoined part of the belt is approximately 3-3.5 inches wide and proportional to the costumer and worn on the left side."(I personally have a short abdomen so 3.5 inch belts look more like Kylo Ren's width on me, this is true for other short girls as well)

I recommend we allow people to use the original Rey belt, that had the smaller band on top and wider on bottom. My thinking on this is twofold. One, many of the already approved Rey's have invested alot of time and money on their belts. They have either constructed the belt on their own or they have to buy one. Which brings me to a bigger point, number two, many vendors who sell costume parts dont always notice as many details as we do, so there may be a few people that buy "upside-down" belts from well meaning but less researched vendors. I think a well made "upside-down" belt is better than a poorly made "right-side-up" belt. Personally I will be using the belt I accidentally constructed "upside-down" so win for me, since I already made this!

HAIR: the style description is spot on. I would add this one thing..."Naturally occurring hair colors only (brown hair color recommended); no bangs; if a wig or hair pieces are used, they must be of a high quality so that they appear like real hair" instead of "brown hair" the above is literally copied and pasted from the new Leia standards. The Galactic Senate has to address haircolor alot and this one line is the compromise in the "great hair debate" which I personally will offer no opinion on.

OBI:Minor thing more personal question...what does "self folding" mean? I wonder if other costumers would understand

Finally, I agree with riathewolf, the name of this Rey in my opinion should be "Hero Rey" as that is what most people online already call it. I associate this costume with Rey stepping up to be a hero. This is the moment she stops asking others to do the hard stuff and accepts that SHE is the hero. Also if you Google "hero Rey" the first image is this costume and as a bonus Google recommends "hero Rey Rebel Legion" third on the list. Personally I don't think of the planet she was on I have to Google that to know it.

Sorry for the super long post. I just wanted to speak for those who are currently working on this costume for Rebel Legion acceptance, but don't have access to this part of the fourm. Thank you for sticking it out and reading to this point!!!

WIP....Cloud City Leia, Shaak Ti, Updated Jedi, Marvel Leia, Jawa, and Resistamce Rey....yup I'm that nuts!!
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers wrote:
Ok I will preface my thoughts by saying I am a member of a Facebook Group on Rey costuming and while we, the Rebel Legion, strive for screen accuracy, I know there have been some instances in which we sacrifice accuracy for what can be achieved in the real world. (If interested, the instance I am referring to is the Cloud City Leia, we allow the spoonflower printed fabric, which uses incorrect colors, in place of the screen accurate embroidery.) Personally I strive for ABSOLUTE ACCURACY, however if we set the bar that high quite a lot of people may choose not to join. I'm not trying to start an off topic discussion, I just wanted you guys to know where my thoughts are as I'm typing this.

TUNIC FABRIC: I think it should read. "Brown with a medium scale raised diamond pattern."

As I type, the original fabric, that is currently being described, is out of stock. If we are so specific as "....weave is laid over base material and sewn to the base material " then only those who currently have that fabric in their possession can create this version of Rey. There are many very good alternatives to the original that from camera distance look amazingly close, but they are not constructed as described.

BELT: I think this should read "conjoined part of the belt is approximately 3-3.5 inches wide and proportional to the costumer and worn on the left side."(I personally have a short abdomen so 3.5 inch belts look more like Kylo Ren's width on me, this is true for other short girls as well)

I recommend we allow people to use the original Rey belt, that had the smaller band on top and wider on bottom. My thinking on this is twofold. One, many of the already approved Rey's have invested alot of time and money on their belts. They have either constructed the belt on their own or they have to buy one. Which brings me to a bigger point, number two, many vendors who sell costume parts dont always notice as many details as we do, so there may be a few people that buy "upside-down" belts from well meaning but less researched vendors. I think a well made "upside-down" belt is better than a poorly made "right-side-up" belt. Personally I will be using the belt I accidentally constructed "upside-down" so win for me, since I already made this!

HAIR: the style description is spot on. I would add this one thing..."Naturally occurring hair colors only (brown hair color recommended); no bangs; if a wig or hair pieces are used, they must be of a high quality so that they appear like real hair" instead of "brown hair" the above is literally copied and pasted from the new Leia standards. The Galactic Senate has to address haircolor alot and this one line is the compromise in the "great hair debate" which I personally will offer no opinion on.

OBI:Minor thing more personal question...what does "self folding" mean? I wonder if other costumers would understand

Finally, I agree with riathewolf, the name of this Rey in my opinion should be "Hero Rey" as that is what most people online already call it. I associate this costume with Rey stepping up to be a hero. This is the moment she stops asking others to do the hard stuff and accepts that SHE is the hero. Also if you Google "hero Rey" the first image is this costume and as a bonus Google recommends "hero Rey Rebel Legion" third on the list. Personally I don't think of the planet she was on I have to Google that to know it.

Sorry for the super long post. I just wanted to speak for those who are currently working on this costume for Rebel Legion acceptance, but don't have access to this part of the fourm. Thank you for sticking it out and reading to this point!!!

Hello! It's funny you mention the fabric. I wrote this standard months before the mood fabric was located. We thought everyone would have to make the stuff! Smile Check out my approved costume you'll see the hand made fabric.

So a few options besides mood. You can make the fabric as my friend did on both hers and mine. Smile It's just a bit of a tedious process.

Or a person could use a few fabrics that would work for approval that have been located.

Also a few cosplay fabric companies will be releasing it.

There's too many Rey's that need this fabric. Just like the kylo a company will provide at some point.

Also always know that standards are living breathing documents, if it became an issue we can always change it later. But people can always make it which is nice.

Larirenshadow ()
Base Membership Officer

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair question: is a length going to be specified along with the color recommendation?
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larirenshadow wrote:
Hair question: is a length going to be specified along with the color recommendation?

This is a good point. I believe approximately shoulder length hair should be included.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face and Hair

-Hair is approximately shoulder length and brown with small pony tail at top of the head (two small wraps 2 inches apart preferred).

Undershirt

-Undershirt is white or off-white, sleeveless with a V neck cross over.

Tunic

-Tunic is brown and adorned with a diamond shaped pattern, weave is laid over the base material and sewn to the base material.
*Four bell shaped panels below the obi. Two panels attach in the front overlapping.

Obi

Tabards

-Cross right over left in the front.

Belt

-Two d-rings on ends.

Pants

-Pants are a Grey in color and lighter than the tabards.

Armwraps

-Armwraps are made from an off white colored gauze.

Arm bracer

Boots

Holster

JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks good to me. Can I chime in on the wrap really quickly?
I know we are saying continuous piece of fabric, but if it's two with a nearly invisible join, like at the shoulders, or with a very small french seam in the loop, I'd be okay with that. The wool gauze is VERY expensive, and I know a lot of girls were looking into purchasing that. 5-6 yards of fabric adds up quickly! I just did this with my new wrap fabric, as I had to replace two others that snagged badly and ripped, and you can't see the join in the loop.

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
Everything looks good to me. Can I chime in on the wrap really quickly?
I know we are saying continuous piece of fabric, but if it's two with a nearly invisible join, like at the shoulders, or with a very small french seam in the loop, I'd be okay with that. The wool gauze is VERY expensive, and I know a lot of girls were looking into purchasing that. 5-6 yards of fabric adds up quickly! I just did this with my new wrap fabric, as I had to replace two others that snagged badly and ripped, and you can't see the join in the loop.

Aye we really only look for things you can see Smile which by our vision looks continuous. Hehe

jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a couple of details/fixes needed yet in Dawn's most recent standard, so here's what I came up with (trying to synthesize all of the other comments so far. All changes are in bold.) I also interjected a couple of comments in Red.

Face and Hair

-Hair is approximately shoulder length with small pony tail at top of the head (two small wraps 2 inches apart preferred); no bangs; naturally occurring hair colors only (brown preferred).

Undershirt

-Undershirt is white or off-white, sleeveless with a V neck cross over.

Tunic

-Tunic is brown and adorned with a raised diamond shaped pattern; the screen accurate fabric has the weave laid over the base material and sewn to the base material.
(Note: "raised diamond-shaped pattern" may be sufficient to denote that it should have a raised texture, without strictly requiring the method of weaving. I think this will allow room for judge's discretion and also help applicants see what we're going for, without requiring the specific fabric. What do you think?)
*Tunic wraps right over left.
*Four bell shaped panels below the obi. Two panels attach in the front overlapping.
*Panels end at the mid thigh.

Obi

-Obi is between 5 to 8 inches wide (proportional to wearer) with some horizontal creases/folds.

Tabards/Wrap Dress
(For Jakku Rey this was called a wrap dress, which may be less confusing. i prefer simply "wrap" which most accurately describes the garment -- they're not really at all the same as Jedi tabards.)

-The wrap is a grey colored thin (gauze or gauze-like) material.
-Wrap is wrinkled and goes around both breasts under the obi and belt.
-Crosses right over left in the front.
- It wraps as one continuous piece (no visible seams).
-The loop of the wrap fall to the lower knee on the costumers left. The loose ends of the wrap fall on the costumer's right side, with the front falling to below the costumers knee, and the back of the wrap falling to the costumer's mid-calf.
-On the back, the wrap does not cross.

Belt

-Two d-rings on ends.
-Belt is approximately two inches at the top and 1.5 inches at the bottom (approximately 3.5 inches at the conjoined part, proportional to the wearer) The top section must be wider than the bottom.

Pants

-Pants are a gray to taupe in color and lighter than the wrap dress/tabards.
-Pants feature two darts on each side of the knee and a wrapping seam at the top of the knee and a straight seam at or just below the knee.
-Optional: top stitching on both sides of the vertical seam.

Armwraps

-Armwraps are made from an off-white colored gauze.
-Arm wraps are weathered, with the edges of the wraps off-colored and darker than the base wraps.
-The wraps begin at the bicep and extend to the wrist.

Arm bracer

Boots

-Soles are dark colored.

Holster

-A blaster is not worn with this holster.
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the name, while I like the name Crait in theory (and the pairing with Luke's own Crait costume) I think the most important factor to keep in mind is "what will people be searching for when they want to find these costume standards?" So I think Snoke's throne room is probably more iconic and relevant than Crait.

I propose we simply call it "Rey (The Last Jedi)" or "Rey (The Last Jedi - Battle Outfit)". This seems to be most likely what people will be searching for, both in terms of the film and when she wears it. And it seems apt, because she is wearing this outfit when Luke refers to her as the last Jedi.

While "Hero Rey" is a good shorthand, I don't think that will be well-known outside of the social media communities that spawned it. The name comes from the action figure's code name, and 10 years (or even 10 months) from now, people won't know that's what it was called. The google search results are the result of activity in our little corner of the costuming world, but I don't think that has longevity.

"Rey (The Last Jedi)" seems like something anyone would search for, whether they've been involved in early social media discussions or are looking for it 40 years from now :-)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: