Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe20be87134c5edfee34f2e6df807a3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyRyder72319 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: RFT WIP Reply with quote

Im already a member of the 501st so defecting hasn't been easy! My friend and I have been talking about doing a costume together for quite some time now and we finally decided on the RFT!

Parts List
Helmet-TK560(not arrived)
Vest-black BDU from Ebay
Shirt-3 wrangler shirts from Walmart
Pants-Light Grey BDUs from Ebay
Belt-1 3/4in blank ordered on Ebay(not arrived)
Holster-Darth Solar Leatherworks(not arrived)
Boots-Cody James Engineer from Boot Barn
Blaster-Hasbro DH-17(not painted)

The helmets have arrived but they are at my friends house since we shipped toegther to split the cost.

My stepmom sewed my vest up. Not worrying with the pockets on the back right now but will probably revisit them later.

Havent gotten a start on shirts yet. Still studying where people generally stop the bib on the sides and how the snaps are generally placed. One question I have about the shirt, would the cuffs need to be cut off? Ive seen some approvals with them and some without them.

I will have to get my pants taken in. They fit great in the waist but everywhere else is huge and baggy.

The belt blanks we got will have to be dyed. We will be using Canyon Tan from Tandy Leather because Darth Solar's holsters are already dyed this color. Hopefully we an get them to match pretty closely.

Havent recieved the holsters yet. I figure they will be the last parts to arrive.

The blaster has a good story behind it. My work has a goodwill next door so my friends and I will normally visit it on lunch every other week or so. The aurebesh on the side caught my eye so I picked it up and was like "Hey, this is a DH-17!!" Bought it for 4 bucks! Little did I know how much it was worth until I sent a pic to a 501st garrison bud. I didn't even know that it is widely used by many troopers of both legions! This happened early on this year and at the time, I had no intentions of doing an RFT so its kind of a happy accident!

Heres a pic of me wearing what I have currently.

And a pic of my blaster that I took at goodwill when I first bought it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/MgKGoBe.jpg?1[/img]

Ill post more pics as more gets done!
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you were really lucky when you found that Hasbro DH-17 at a goodwill-store. The start of your RFT looks good.

I’m not a costume judge or an expert for this costume but I’m a fellow trooper that made two cleared ANH RFTs so I might be able to answer some of your questions.

The CRL doesn't mention if the shirt can have cuffs or not. The RFT shirts in ANH didn't have cuffs. My husband and I have short arms so I took the cuffs off.

The CRL mentions that the vest should be a black, collarless vest with no visible buttons or ornamentation of any kind. If I'm not mistaken your vest still has visible buttons. You will have to remove them for clearance.

Another thing that I saw is that your boots seem to have ankle straps. If that is correct, you will have to remove them for clearance.

Continue the good work and you will be a RFT in no time.

Quote from the CRL:

2. Long-sleeve blue work shirt with bib in front (blue Chambray or blue Oxford recommended)
Bib should cover front of shirt with no gaps at the bottom.
Shirt bib should come all the way up to the collar button and not sag.
No button down collars (with visible button holes on collar).
Colour range from a light blue to medium blue (costume can be denied if shirt colour is deemed too dark blue).

3. Black, collarless vest with no visible buttons or ornamentation of any kind. There are 2 options for the vest front:
a) Vest can be the standard as purchased BDU shirt with 4 pocket layout on the front that you remove the collar and the sleeves.
or

b) Screen accurate black vest should be made of a heavy duty black canvas/duck cloth fabric with a double stitched yoke line in the front and the back. The front of the vest should have: Right side one large pocket with 3 sections and each section should have a pocket flap and strap. Below the upper pocket is a smaller open pocket with a Velcro closure. Left side has one very large “half moon” pocket with two pockets on it. Top one is open and bottom one has a pocket flap. Below this large pocket is another pocket with a flap that is at the same height as the right side lower open pocket flap.

5. Mid-calf black boots (Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable)
Leather pull-on style preferred with low heels.
No laces or ankle buckles.
No non-black zippers. Any zipper closure must either be hidden or on the inside calf. No zippers on front or outside calf of boots.
High-Calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the pants legs.
No rubber boots.

Source: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/rebel-fleet-trooper-a-new-hope/
SkyRyder72319 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I didnt think I had seen it in the CRL either. Thanks for clarifying that.

Im still working on the vest so removing buttons is on the list. Do you think with will be ok to remove the whole strap the buttons are on? The vest is really big on me and I want it to open up more. I was thinking of remving the strap with button holes too.

Yes, they do have ankle straps, just havent gotten around to cutting them yet. I took this pic the day I got the boots. I was too excited to worry about the straps just yet lol!

Thabks for the help! Feel free to stop back in anytime!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made our vests I had to remove part of the buttonhole area because our top buttonholes where visible. Similar to the guy with the woodland BDU jacket.

I had to make sure that I didn't remove too much fabric. This is how I changed the front of the BDU jacket.
First I removed all parts that I didn’t need with a seam opener. Then I sewed the top buttonhole shut. That was the only one left because the covered holes where in the fabric pieces that I removed. Then I used the zick-zack stitch to hem the edges. Next I folded the fabric back until the closed buttonhole wasn’t visible anymore. Then I used the largest stitch of my sewingmachine to keep everything to in place.

SkyRyder72319 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ok!! I understand what you are saying! I was hoping this was the case because my vest doesnt look like it opens up very much on me. I dont know if my stepmom will know about those fancy stitches but Im sure she will figure something out. Thanks again!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight stitch and the zigzag stitch are two basic stitches that my sewing machine has. I only used those two stiches plus the stitch that is usually used to create button holes, but I used it to seal one instead, for my vest. There are some hand sewing and overlock stitches that serve the same purpose but I don't know how they are called. I only used the most basic techniques to sew my vest so I am pretty sure that most people can do it too.
SkyRyder72319 ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok I gotcha! I know nothing about sewing so it doesnt take much to loose me on the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: