Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=394ed137d664e071970840089a30a2ffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Red Invasion Gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: WIP Red Invasion Gown Reply with quote

Hey guys! Slowly over the next few months, I'll be working on Padme's Red Invasion Gown for approval! This has been a dream costume of mine for some time, so I'm really excited to get started on it! I've been doing lots of research on this costume to make sure I get every minute detail right. Naergi's costume site has been a huge help in researching this gown!

So far, I have found just about all of the materials I will need to buy to get this done. Obviously I will need to create my own custom pattern for this, unless there's a pattern I can use to modify. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

I'm undecided on what I'll be using for the headpiece. I thought about worbla, but sometimes that's not the best idea living down here in Florida.

Apparently this is the best time to be looking for red heels, because Payless has a couple different styles available now! I picked up these today. They're a little higher than I would have liked, but they're still pretty comfy.

Contact me at http://www.facebook.com/scarletstitchery/ for your costume needs!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Very Happy Lovely costume and many details to go into.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
accioveronica ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this one!! I'm in the middle of this build, but since I'm in school I'm taking a break (also because the gown is really a pain) .

I would go with comfy shoes when wearing this gown... the weight of the headdress alone is a lot. Not sure how you're planning to go - but remember if you're wearing heels you're going to want to take this into account when making the pattern for your dress. It says flats are approvable as well.

Can't wait to see your progress! Amadalia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got the height with the heels factored into my pattern calculations, no need to worry about that! I'm not expecting the headdress to be super heavy, I'm planning on having it 3D printed, and the styrofoam base for the wig hair with it shouldn't be too heavy. Even so, I'm used to wearing heavy wigs by now haha!

I'm slowly getting more materials together. I've got 8 yards of Bengaline fabric purchased and I just bought some hoop steel last night. I'm going to pick up fabric for the hoop skirt in the next couple days, so that should be the first piece I get done first. Super excited to finally get started on this!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with it. Smile Doing the headpiece mainly from 3D print and foam should help keep the weight down. Nothing worse than getting a headache from your headwear.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding! Been there done that! Trying to find reasonable options outside of thermoplastic and fragile materials. I want to be able to travel with this easily without fear of it breaking or melting. I'm just counting my blessings that I have such a talented 3D print guy on hand! Very Happy

accioveronica ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask where you ordered your Bengaline from? I bought 10 yards of bengaline from onlinefabricstore, but I might order a different type. The bengaline I ordered here is super shiny, and for some reason, my panels are puckering a lot with this fabric (and the fact that it's extra shiny makes it annoyingly visible!) when I sew the piping in. I'm not sure if I should've pre-washed my fabric, I know they say you should do this but I was worried my fabric was going to come out weird. I might just wash it after all?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Joann Fabrics. They carry a bengaline suiting that isn't too shiny at all. I haven't washed it yet, but I might not, just because I'm considering doing a vodka/water spray down on it. I hesitate to wash or dry clean it with the fur trim.

At the same time, I got a swatch of duchess satin in the mail the other day, and now I'm considering finding new bengaline fabric. The stuff I got looks a little on the dark side now that I'm looking at it with a different shade of red.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend to always prewash your fabrics before cutting and sewing.

accioveronica ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had checked the suiting bengaline from Joann's as well, and noticed it also had a little bit of a stretch which might not be ideal. And that's right, the colour was darker.

And Lora, as for pre-washing the fabrics... the bengaline I ordered from onlinefabricstore had a bit of a shine to it. Someone mentioned washing it with a lot of fabric softener to take it out, is this true?

Here is the link to the bengaline I ordered in case you were curious, it's on sale today for Cyber Monday!

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/valentine-red-bengaline-faille-fabric-.htm

I also figured I'd add that the fabric frays a lot... so to prewash it, I would seal the ends before sticking it in the washer.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much shine you can get out of the fabric, but it is generally adviced to pre-wash, so the fabric is pre-shrunk and any oils from production is washed out.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the recommendation above, I went ahead and ordered the bengaline fabric above. Sadly, I missed the Cyber Monday deal, but still found a $5 off coupon online that worked. So I'll have to return the fabric I bought before. Hopefully this will match the swatch of duchess satin that I ordered!

I'll definitely make sure to launder it when I get it in the mail. However, the website says that this bengaline fabric is dry clean only.... Will that matter at all?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it might. If you can I'd advise you to ask the people in the store.

accioveronica ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also try laundering it when I return home for winter break and show you the results. What is the standard protocol for laundering a fabric like this? Usually, for stuff like cotton twill or fleece, I just stick it in... but I'm worried about this fabric Laughing
I bought an excess of yardage so I can test it with a piece.

The thing with this fabric is that it seems to come with a bit of sheen with it... as mentioned before, maybe pre-washing will help with this. I heard that adding fabric softener will help? Not sure if this is true, does anyone have a word on this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: